• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 cucv fuel filter won't prime / bleed

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it looks wet which indicates it is leaking.

Some members have removed the sensor and use a freeze plug(iirc).

That may be your problem with bleeding it now.

dpaulus

It sounds liked filling the sensor hole should be the first step since the sensor is wet, everything worked before opening the filter, and there were no fuel leaks at the base before. Do you think I should test it to make sure the sensor hole is were it is sucking air (not letting it prime) before drilling and tapping? Maybe jb-weld or RTV, or are those prone to leak anyway so just go ahead and tap/bolt it?

I found the thread with Markg's tap and bolt: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?111372-Intermittent-air-leak

Do you recall the if it was a 1/4-20 bolt / tap? I wonder if I can just tap it in place without removing the base?

After disconnect the sensor from the wire harness, do you need to do anything else, or just let the harness hang there not sending?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You do not need or use the sensor. It is used only if you have the military specific test equipment that most of us will never own or need.

You can't fill that area(to help a leak), it is sucking air in, if it is leaking, and that is what stops you from getting a solid stream of fuel.

I recall someone removing the base, so they could lay it flat and using JB Weld.

I think the drill/tap idea sound effective, or using a freeze/expansion plug.

Maybe an oring just needs to be replaced, to seal it. (I think they have an O-ring).

Mine has never leaked, so I have not had any issues like this. (Many others have though)

dependable

You can pressurize fuel tank with compressed air as mentioned in previous post. Open bleed valve at top of fuel filter base. Fuel should flow in that direction though lift pump.

truck1

Upgrade to spin on filter, add drain valve and hose, fill spin on filter with fuel, open bleeder and crank away. Should expel air first then fuel . Shut bleeder and it should start. Easy upgrade.

dpaulus

Thanks for all the advice. I tried to plug the small fuel port that went to the pressure sensor with a 3/16" self tapping screw. Made the threads, removed, Teflon taped it, and rethreaded for a really tight fit.

Pressurized the fuel tank with compressor, and the filter leaked. If going the bolt route, I'll have to really tap the hole.

several folks recommended the expansion/freeze bolt. O'reillys did not have anything smaller than 3/4". Did you all use the expansion bolt in the 1.35" diameter hole. It looks like a 1 1/4 to 1 3/8 expansion plug would work if it wasn't so deep. Did you have to cut it to make it fit?

Thank you again for all the help. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

markg

Thanks for all the advice. I tried to plug the small fuel port that went to the pressure sensor with a 3/16" self tapping screw. Made the threads, removed, Teflon taped it, and rethreaded for a really tight fit.

Pressurized the fuel tank with compressor, and the filter leaked. If going the bolt route, I'll have to really tap the hole.

several folks recommended the expansion/freeze bolt. O'reillys did not have anything smaller than 3/4". Did you all use the expansion bolt in the 1.35" diameter hole. It looks like a 1 1/4 to 1 3/8 expansion plug would work if it wasn't so deep. Did you have to cut it to make it fit?

Thank you again for all the help. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.
i used a fine threaded bolt, dont remember what size. but common. never had a problem with them leaking. ive done lots . make sure you cut it to the right length, or cut the head off the bolt, or use a pipe plug. this is a low pressure system, 5 lbs or so is all the mechanical pump will do. good luck. thanks. mark

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

dpaulus

Doghead, Thanks for the links. It looked like a couple people had good luck with the jbweld so I gave it a try first. I'll post how it comes out.

dpaulus

JB weld seems to be holding fine, but I don't think this was the source of the original air getting in not letting the filter prime.

I think the leak and source of air that would not let the new filter prime was the drain (part # 17 in TM) was not tight enough. Before removing the old filter I opened the drain (with channel locks) just to see it work. Since it's plastic, I hand tightened it back on because I have a tendency to over-tighten and break plastic parts. After seriously tightening it with channel locks, it does not leak anymore.

If it gives me any more trouble, I'm doing the spin-on filter mod.

I learned a ton about the fuel system, and I really appreciate everyone's help.

Thank you all again!!!

markg

GM had 2 tsb's that covered that filter base, the first was the pressure sensor and the second was the o-ring in the drain plug. ive never had a problem with the latter, for me its always been the pressure sensor. thanks. mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks