• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 do you drive without the back?

digitaldust

does anyone drive a M1009 with out the back ? or is there a mod to have a
avalanche type cover for the back cab ?
anyone have photos of there cool looking blazer ?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
does anyone drive a M1009 with out the back ? or is there a mod to have a
avalanche type cover for the back cab ?
anyone have photos of there cool looking blazer ?
Dang! Temps in the 30's and still snowing! You're quite optimistic!!

odonnys

I've had the top off for about a month now. It stays off unless there is a 70% or more chance of rain for more than 2 days. If there is slight chance of rain overnight I just use a shower curtain to cover the back of the cab. (It's ugly, but it does work. I attach it with strong magnets.)

OL AG '89

softopper.com sells a canvas top that you can run. Not cheap but come in lots of colors, maybe green, maybe black.
Topless only works if its cold inside!!!

123mack

The ragtop was an option for the Blazer in late 70's up into the 80's. Don't know when GM stopped it as an option,though. As I recall, there were bows similar to a jeep.

digitaldust

Another person told me about the soft top blazers. I thought it was a mod done at home. How about something simple that goes down from the roof like a rear wall ?

How big of a job is it to remove the topper ?

n1bnc

It is very easy to take the top off. Roll down the rear window and remove about 14 or so bolts, maybe more around the interior edge and along the cab roof line and whatever trim accessories that might be under the bolts, then pick up the cap using two people, one on each side like a coffin. There are two pins, one on each side used as locating pins to align the top upon re-installation. Depending on the number of years, it may be "stuck on" the side rails and what I did was to get inside and push up with my back against the top and push up to break the seal.

I loved driving with the back off and if it rains, drive faster on the highway and even the rear seat passengers will not get very wet. Otherwise carry a tarp around for those parking moments in bad weather. Think like a biker in this regard.

DrJekl

I have considered making a cap from an old top that would close in the cab and leave the bed open using a bulkhead like a HMMWV or CJ8. I like having the back seat and it is not practical, in my opinion, to be removing the top all the time as it is heavy. The garage is for the wife's car so that option is out as well. I ran the top off last year for a while until the rain became unpredictable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks