• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 exhaust smell in the cab

cucvrus

It is not a bad job. Or should I say it has not been bad for me the last 3 sets I changed. I have been using the Dorman lines and have had great success and have been able to change them on and off in about 1 - 1 1/2 hours. The clamp and all start to finish. Tip is if you can get the clamp bracket loose on the exhaust manifold studs get every thing started hand tight and tighten and align as you go. Take your time and wear safety glasses. Good Luck. I see the oily leakers in the picture.

cucvrus

No need to drain any oil. Just be careful or the oil in the lines will drain on you. Have rags and gloves nearby to keep the job and yourself clean. 7/8" & 3/4" wrench to get the lines off. A 7/16" to get the clamps apart. Good Luck. report back. Happy Holidays. Wear safety glasses.

richingalveston

the cracks are just in the cover. it should be ok if you are not installing the support rods that connect to the cover. IF you want to add the support rods then I would get a new cover. that one wont last long with the supports added.

cucvrus

Switched the lines out and it was quick and easy like you said. I noticed a couple hairline cracks in the transmission bell housing. How serious are they? Is this something that can be repaired with a migraine welder? Her are some pictures:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iDfg9pEoufSjLfir1
IMHO. They are not cracks. They are cast marks from being made. I see that stuff in the castings all the time. From where I am sitting and seeing what you are showing. I say no worries mate. Continue on. Just double check the bell bolts for tightness and make sure all the fasteners are tight and present. Thank you. Happy Holidays.

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
have you solved your fumes in the cab issue yet? I had the same problem with my 1009 , but I knew what the issue was , it was time for a fresh IP and did the injectors also, problem solved , does your truck smoke a lot on or after start up?

kallisti5

I small note on the oil cooler lines, i noticed they are coated in oil on my "sitting a while" M1009. So much so the power steering lines were coated as well. Overzealous TX Saftey Inspector told me my power steering lines were leaking and had to be fixed... think i'm going with the powerwasher to "fix" that one for now :)

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
This is not far-fetched, just fetched.
With your engine is there any kind of exhaust gas recirculation thing at all?
A draft tube with a plugged filter or something like that?

On a Chevy gas engine the fumes and smell will drive you out of the car if the PCV valve is plugged because the crankcase is under pressure and it is supposed to be under vacuum. Nah, you propbably don't have any of that stuff. But think about vacuum and pressure.

Last edited:

Chevybrit

I have a similar issue (back window down exhaust fumes) and noticed that sometimes even if I have the driver window down I get get some fumes in the cab

There are a lot of holes in the floor which need to be addressed

n8roro

It smokes for a couple seconds when the weather is cold. I have injectors on the list of possible to do's. I don't know how to tell if they are bad or not. There is no leaks around the IP and it runs fine.

n8roro

This is not far-fetched, just fetched.
With your engine is there any kind of exhaust gas recirculation thing at all?
A draft tube with a plugged filter or something like that?

On a Chevy gas engine the fumes and smell will drive you out of the car if the PCV valve is plugged because the crankcase is under pressure and it is supposed to be under vacuum. Nah, you propbably don't have any of that stuff. But think about vacuum and pressure.

There is a vacuum pump but that about as far as my knowledge goes.😁

cucvrus

I have a similar issue (back window down exhaust fumes) and noticed that sometimes even if I have the driver window down I get get some fumes in the cab

That will do it. All of the above create a vacuum and draw the exhaust into the cabin. Same as a sliding rear window in a pick up truck. Designed to vacuum out the bed when you open the drivers or passengers side window with the slider open. hate them. Never have another one in any pick up I own. I order a new truck and I always order a solid glass rear window.

als804

mine does like you did. Obviously much of air in the engine room is coming trough firewall into cabin. When i open the windows , much more air in the engine room comes in.

definitely there are so many holes on firewall. I am still trying to find them. :(

cucvrus

This is a quick observation and experience. I had been trail riding Terminus M1009 on Saturday at Rausch Creek. We were in a very rocky area. Talking huge boulders. Crawling along and I heard a few axle hits and some rear end scrapping on the skid plate. I started driving down the flat areas and was over come with exhaust a couple times. Terminus has a new exhaust front to back. The exhaust was coming out from under the dash. I am driving and picturing in my head. What the heck could be leaking. The engine sounds normal no loud exhaust no leaks when I stopped at the cross roads. I drove back to a lot and the exhaust was getting me a head ache. i stopped and got out the exhaust seemed to dissipate away. I looked under the hood all normal. As normal as could be. the engine was covered in mud and water. Nothing unusual. I looked under the front and when I looked back the left tailpipe was bent up under the left 1/4 panel. I opened the door and raised the idle. I could see the exhaust exiting the area under the left dash. So I went back and my Son had bent the pipe back down. I gunned the engine again. No exhaust under the dash inside. I suspect. I say suspect. Without a sawzall I can not confirm. The exhaust was traveling up the 1/4 panel thru the B pillar and exiting the hollow part of the A pillar under the dash. So if you have bad tailpipes it is possible you have the same issue. Sort of makes sense. i have cut these apart and they are hollow shells. And being a 1984 that is 33 years of rust and corrosion inside the B pillar and it could allow the exhaust to rise upward and thru the roof and down the A pillar. I promise I was not smoking any weed or drinking any alcohol. It did happen and I firmy believe my diagnosis is correct on this matter. I wheeled again and smelled no exhaust. I clearly seen exhaust under the dash. Have a great day.
Check out your tail pipes. They could be leaking and seeping in thru unknown rust holes. I seen it more then once. Good Luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks