• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 front bearing replacement project: Advice needed on what else to replace

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi y'all! I have a 1983 M1009 with about 80,000 miles that needs new front wheel bearings. I have never replaced the bearings on a 4WD GM before. I've searched SS far and wide. I read and printed out all the threads. I read the TM's and printed out pertinent procedures. I even printed off the procedures from the GM factory manuals for the civilian K5 Blazer.

I plan on replacing the following:
- front rotor/hubs
- inner bearings and seals
- outer seals
- brakes
- spindle bearings
- thinking about installing Warn 20990 lockouts to replace the OEM set

I plan on keeping it a long time. I want the truck to be as safe as possible - I carry precious cargo in it regularly (my wife and daughter). The truck stops straight so I know the calipers are in good shape. Is there anything else y'all recommend I check or replace as long as I have the hubs torn apart?

Thanks for the advice!! :)

bp m1009

I think youve pretty much covered it all there, maybe check your steering linkage and balljoints and brakelines too. I just did all of this a few weeks ago when i did new brakes. I pulled the hubs off and saw my bearings werent looking so good, so i decided to replace all of them while i was there. Not very hard at all to do, just remember the order of how you pull the hub apart. Once you have one side done the next will go twice as fast.

Crash_AF

The hub itself probably doesn't need to be replaced since it's just a big chunk of iron that holds the bearings. They're quite spendy and don't wear so I wouldn't bother with that expense. The lockouts are probably ok if they work, just give them a good cleaning.

You've nailed everything on the outer spindle/wheel area. Might want to inspect the brake hoses to the calipers and replace them if they look old. Calipers are probably ok, but inspect the rubber seals while they're off.

Tie rod ends would be something I would check while working on the front axle, along with the front U-Joint on the driveshaft. There's also a couple of little spindle bearings inside the spindle that the axleshaft rides on, if you have the spindle off, check them and replace if they're worn out (they get neglected quite often)

Good luck with it.

dmilkman589

While the bearings are off may as well do the u joints; as far as the locking hubs. Don't waist your time and money on a set of warn hubs if yours work fine. We had issues with the stock hubs on my fathers f250, so replaced with warn. Same issues yet, there really no better than stock when it comes to a design this simple.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most details have already been covered. I would retain the old bearings or at least one wheels worth. Clean them and pack them in grease in a freezer ziplock and stow them in the truck. Super cheap insurance in the event a bearing goes away on the road.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'll keep the lockouts. It occurred to me after I submitted the thread that removing chrome off replacement hubs would be a real pain. There is nothing wrong with my lockouts so I won't replace them.

Great idea on checking the brake hoses. I have DOT5 in my truck. If I have to replace them, I might look into buying new calipers. Breaking the old brake lines free of the calipers can be torture. :mad: Been there, done that, b0rked up the calipers, had to replace them even though I didn't want to.

Two new rotor/hubs cost $150. I can afford the extra expense. Good brakes have saved my life in previous accidents, so I'm going to replace them.

Kenny - I REALLY like your suggestion!!!!! THANK YOU!! :)

I will check the steering components and replace the U-joints. Time to hit the TM's again and print out procedures.

I can rent a kit from Advance Discount Auto that should include all the sockets needed to pull the front end apart.

Thanks for all the great suggestions and advice!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks