• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 fuel consumpation, what is your MPG?

Have a quick question for you M1009 owners.
I have heard a lot of people state they get 20 mpg or even slightly higher with their
M1009s.
Is this accurate?
I am averaging 15-16 mpg with mine on a mix of back road driving (45-55mph) and highway (65-70 mph as the speed limit here is 75mph and I try not to get run over).

Looking for comments.

My M1009 is stock from Uncle Sam and runs excellent. Stock tires on it. Purrs along
on the highway. Starts as soon as I hit the key even in cold weather. I really like the truck but fuel mileage is a bit disappointing......

This big?
Its a Blazer.......

Both my M35s get about 10 mpg. I'm fine with that.

But if my M1009 is getting 15 mpg when everyone and there brother is
getting 20 mpg+ then I have to wonder if perhaps I should be looking for a
problem.....

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some say they are getting 20 mpg, I drive mine to work 30 miles round trip at 70+ and then tow the M101 on the weekend and I get right at 15 mpg consistently. I keep saying that I am going to slow down to 65 where everyone says the sweet spot is but I have yet to be able to do that :driver:

So from what I have read in the past it seems 15 mpg with highway activity over 70 seems to be the norm.

Drive On

Steve

southdave

This big?
Its a Blazer.......

Both my M35s get about 10 mpg. I'm fine with that.

But if my M1009 is getting 15 mpg when everyone and there brother is
getting 20 mpg+ then I have to wonder if perhaps I should be looking for a
problem.....
thats about right, the higher milage is achieved on interstate traffic speed, anything else your foot into ect... the truck really could use a different ratio in the final drives

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You are talking about a big, heavy 4 wd truck with the aerodynamics of a concrete block.

15 MPG would work for me.

My 2 WD Dodge Dakota with auto and V-6 only gets 21 MPG.

A tuned exhaust with low restriction mufflers might give you a couple more MPG but you would have to drive it a lot to make it pay for the upgrade.

If you want really crappy fuel milage buy a M915.:shock:

jimm1009

I also get 19 to 20 on the interstate @ 65 to 70 MPH and about 15 to 16 in town and that is with 33 / 12.50 x 15 smooth tread tires ont he OEM wheels.I do have the concrete block aerodynamics incorporated as well though :).

This is not possible in a M1008 or similar though.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just filled my 1986 M1009 today. It is original with 23,000 miles.
16 MPG with highway and some around town driving.

The 1984 M1009 gets 18-20 MPG, it too is mostly stock. Has a locally installed exhaust system that allows for better flow. It's lighter too, less sheet metal due to rust.

The M1008 gets 15 MPG with highway driving the last time I checked it.
Karl

SPCWarning

15-18 on the backroads. I haven't driven it enough on the highways to see how it's going to do at 65-70 mph but I won't complain either way, I love driving it !

txmytx_catahoula

My m1009 has 69k on the drive train & 33k on the engine, and I'm getting 20mpg. The Blaze is stock except for some better flowing mufflers. I drive about 36 miles round trip to work, the first 5 miles has about 15 stop lights and I average 65-70 mph on the last 13 miles. Don't know if it's the royal purple in the drive train or just the muffler change, but I'm pleased!!

donalloy1

All stock here. Fourteen mile round trip commute daily mixed speeds mostly freeway. I get 15-16 mpg. Keep speedometer below 60 mph. Wish I could get more but it is what it is.:beer:

Varyag

I have a 26 mile each way commute on country HW. I get right around 20 doing 53-57. I have about 1 mile of city driving to do each way.

I have gotten less going HW speeds (65-70) going to my in law's ranch. It was about 17 that time.

My buddy's 350 lifted blazer gets 8-11. I give him crap for getting about the same as the deuce.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks