• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 fuel consumpation, what is your MPG?

saddamsnightmare

October 2nd, 2012.

Gents:

I know that I am risking pouring fuel on the OP's fire, but let's stand back and consider a moment here the issue of fuel mileage with a M1009. It is, essentially, a 1975-1985 full size Chevy Blazer with some beefing up here and there, TWO (2) alternators, and a diesel that was probably a fair design then, but NO computer controls on the injection pump, probably only a governor. None of these trucks were aerodyanamic, as it has been said,a brick with a chunk cut out for the windshield. They are heavy, much heavier then their younger descendents, and they are geared for the reasonable speeds that the Army anticipated for convoys back then (40-45 MPH).
Any time you push a truck like this, the high clearance, cluttered underbody, square (rectangular, really) front end and the general effect of wear, tear and age on the vehicle and it's drive train, is going to impact mileage. Even the presence of a clean air cleaner element versus a dirty one can have an impact on economy. If you could do with less speed, there would be a possiblity for a more modern smaller diesel, and you'd do pretty well. Most Unimogs in this period, with a smaller gas or diesel engine then the Blazer has, will do better mileage on the average if you don't drag race, put your foot into it, or push the vehicle.

My Unimog with an 80 HP engine doing 50 MPH for ten hours a day getting here from Texas, did about 18 MPH with no headwinds and small hills, and that is with 7.65 to 1 final gearing. At the time, it had a Zyclone pre-cleaner on the air intake to free the truck from Texas dust in the oil bath cleaner. I took that unit off yesterday for maintenance, and I do believe that the truck is accellerating a little better, as there seems to be less impedence of the air flow. I suspect she will do better until I have to put the Zyclone on again to handle ice and snow conditions up here this winter.

So, if your truck is doing 13 to 18 MPG diesel, you're doing pretty good. Tires can affect it also, size, weight and hardness of rubber. Michelins roll better, but basically the rubber is so hard, they suck for traction on pavement. There will be variations from truk to truck based on maintenance and even the drivers that drive it now and back then, as they all have an impact on the trucks condition and behavior. This is just from my experience and an auto engineer will likely tell you something different. Good luck with your truck...:D

Last edited:

donalloy1

October 2nd, 2012.

Gents:

I know that I am risking pouring fuel on the OP's fire, but let's stand back and consider a moment here the issue of fuel mileage with a M1009. It is, essentially, a 1975-1985 full size Chevy Blazer with some beefing up here and there, TWO (2) alternators, and a diesel that was probably a fair design then, but NO computer controls on the injection pump, probably only a governor. None of these trucks were aerodyanamic, as it has been said,a brick with a chunk cut out for the windshield. They are heavy, much heavier then their younger descendents, and they are geared for the reasonable speeds that the Army anticipated for convoys back then (40-45 MPH).
Any time you push a truck like this, the high clearance, cluttered underbody, square (rectangular, really) front end and the general effect of wear, tear and age on the vehicle and it's drive train, is going to impact mileage. Even the presence of a clean air cleaner element versus a dirty one can have an impact on economy. If you could do with less speed, there would be a possiblity for a more modern smaller diesel, and you'd do pretty well. Most Unimogs in this period, with a smaller gas or diesel engine then the Blazer has, will do better mileage on the average if you don't drag race, put your foot into it, or push the vehicle.

My Unimog with an 80 HP engine doing 50 MPH for ten hours a day getting here from Texas, did about 18 MPH with no headwinds and small hills, and that is with 7.65 to 1 final gearing. At the time, it had a Zyclone pre-cleaner on the air intake to free the truck from Texas dust in the oil bath cleaner. I took that unit off yesterday for maintenance, and I do believe that the truck is accellerating a little better, as there seems to be less impedence of the air flow. I suspect she will do better until I have to put the Zyclone on again to handle ice and snow conditions up here this winter.

So, if your truck is doing 13 to 18 MPG diesel, you're doing pretty good. Tires can affect it also, size, weight and hardness of rubber. Michelins roll better, but basically the rubber is so hard, they suck for traction on pavement. There will be variations from truk to truck based on maintenance and even the drivers that drive it now and back then, as they all have an impact on the trucks condition and behavior. This is just from my experience and an auto engineer will likely tell you something different. Good luck with your truck...:D
Thanks saddamsnightmare! Just installed new IP and still not getting more than 15.5 mpg on Pump Diesel. Was wondering if Power Pack had something wrong with it. Feel better now. DMLII sends respectfully

shaker

I would love to know how people are getting in the 20 mpg range i am getting 12-14 mpg driving like a 200 year old man aua

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine 1009 with stock military tires gets 14-16 mpg no matter what. I have tried a bunch of different driving techniques and the milage is always the same. I personally do not believe 20 mpg.

I did get 20 mpg once when Ron towed the M1009 to the GA rally, added 90 miles to my milage calculation when I was doing the math and freaked me out for about 2 minutes until I thought about what happened.

shaker

I do not think one could see 20 mpg with a m1009 I own one and in great running order and only getting 12-14 mpg with mixed highway and city driving. I even replaced the brake pads and hoses on the front and still nothing better. aua

shaker

I am trying to find the antennas that go onto the M1009 I have one mount but can not find the antenna. I do not care if it is functional or not I just want the look.

nunya

I do not think one could see 20 mpg with a m1009 I own one and in great running order and only getting 12-14 mpg with mixed highway and city driving. I even replaced the brake pads and hoses on the front and still nothing better. aua
I thought the same thing, I kept reading posts about this and mine was not anywhere near 20mpg's. I thought there must be something wrong with my truck and then thought about how my speedometer is way off so i wonder how far off my odometer was. I borrowed a friends GPS and it is consistently 0.3 off per mile shown on the odometer. So at 100 miles on the odometer, the GPS shows 130 miles traveled, Now my MPG's look much better.
Also fixing my vacuum leaks that made it shift too hard helped also. It now shifts into 3RD at 27 MPH and averages 21.5MPG.

shaker

I am getting 12-14 mpgs but with everyones replys of my poor mpgs one reply really stuck out. The reply was asking me if my speedo was working in good order and the answer is no my speedo is off by a country mile. I could be doing 55 mph in my gps and it will show me doing 45 mph. By it doing that it is not adding up the actual miles I am traveling. I have bought a new speedo cable and it did not fix this issue. I just do not know if is the gear inside the tranny that controls it or the speedo head itself. I had a buddy tell me since the truck had set up since 2006 I might need to spray some wd-40 in the back of the speedo were the cable plugs into it. but not sure on that.

shaker

Now what does that two stroke oil do for these trucks? I am using desiel kleen in every tank it is supposed to keep everything lubed and working right. I was told that the Z- max works even better but it is like 40 bucks for the kit oil and fuel but it supposed to really work. In addition I was thinking of changing gear oil in my diffs but not sure what weight but was also told by using royal purple gear oil will also help with mpgs not sure on that as well?

Cycletek

I am getting 12-14 mpgs but with everyones replys of my poor mpgs one reply really stuck out. The reply was asking me if my speedo was working in good order and the answer is no my speedo is off by a country mile. I could be doing 55 mph in my gps and it will show me doing 45 mph. By it doing that it is not adding up the actual miles I am traveling. I have bought a new speedo cable and it did not fix this issue. I just do not know if is the gear inside the tranny that controls it or the speedo head itself. I had a buddy tell me since the truck had set up since 2006 I might need to spray some wd-40 in the back of the speedo were the cable plugs into it. but not sure on that.
If you have larger diameter tires than the original size, the axles will turn at a slower rate which in turn makes your speedo inaccurate. You can call a speedo shop and get a different speedo gear for the transfer case or Transmission, which ever your speedo cable attaches to get it closer to your actual speed.

2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks