• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Glow plug override switch

goatja

I have read several posts about a manual glow plug switch. I am looking to find a way to manually control my glow plugs when my engine is just barely warm enough to tell my glow plug controller it does not need to kick on.

All of the posts I have read as far as I can understand when you hook the blue wire to a switch and ground the other end , it disables your glow plug controller and makes it all manual.

I still want to retain the automatic function and want to be able to turn the glow plugs on when the controller does not for easier starting.

Any help would be appriciated..

jacksmad1

If you connect your switch to the same terminal on the glow plug solenoid as the blue/white wire without removing the blue/white wire, the controller or the manual switch should energize your glow plugs. All the switch or controller does is supply ground to energize the coil in the solenoid.

goatja

Thanks as soon as i get off this 8 day streach at work i am going to have to try it...:lost:

goatja

Anybody ellse have any imput just to cover all of my bases before i try this on wedensday?

Brad M

:ditto: and I’ve done it to mine and love having a backup in case the card dies. Just tap the light blue wire run it to the momentary switch and then the other side of the switch to ground.

Tapped into the ground wire from the glow plug harness blue wire to the momentary switch and then a ground wire to a ground.

When I started the vehicle, looking at the voltmeter, it did not want to kick back up to green, as if it was still charging the glow plugs. Shut er down, tried again, same thing. Disconnected the switch and back to normal.

I'm thinking either the momentary switch Store Locator | NAPA Online is wired backwards, or I screwed up something else (which, while very possible, this is a very straightforward mod).

Any thoughts?

Brad M

In the TM's find the electrical appendix and go to E-7 and look for wire .8 LT BLU-505 that runs between the Glow Plug Module and the Glow Plug Relay. That is the wire you want to tap with a Momentary switch. You only want the circuit made while you hold the switch. if you use a regular switch it will stay on as long as the switch is made.

BTW I forgot to add the glow plug module can still call for them based on the temp sensor and keep them made when you let off of the switch. Disconnect the battery and pull the card before reconnecting the battery to test just the switch. Never remove or replace the card with the battery connected.

Last edited:

jacksmad1

Also make sure the switch you are using has enough capacity (amperage rating) to handle energizing the relay. If the switch amperage rating it too small it could have welded the contacts together the first time you pushed the switch.

Also make sure the switch you are using has enough capacity (amperage rating) to handle energizing the relay. If the switch amperage rating it too small it could have welded the contacts together the first time you pushed the switch.
The wires came off really clean and easy, and I'm good at not being sloppy when it comes to wiring, although inside the switch could be fried inside. Not sure. Can't be sure. Still looking for ideas. Till now, I'll keep it disconnected until I deal with my lighting issue and get my block and lower rad heater in.

I did want to tap in, and not wire around, so that I could take advantage of the relay, and not take that risk.

As with any CUCV, it's always a priority issue of what next ... now. But it makes the bond stronger.

jacksmad1

Even though the brunt of the amperage is carried by the relay it still takes several amps to energize the relay. If you have an ohm meter or multimeter since you already have disconnected the switch, connect it between the contacts of the switch to see if the switch is making or breaking the circuit when you push it. If you don't have a meter, a flashlight battery, flashlight bulb and a piece of wire will tell you the same thing.....if it is shorted, or is it momentary on or momentary off...

goatja

Well work has me on a crazy schedule and I did not get to wire my switch up. The only day off I had it was raining.. I will let you guys know how it works

vegwerx1

Hey Guys, On the 1008/1009, id the glow plug harness or controller the only electrical portion of the 6.2? I am asking for EMP effects, or does it have an engine computer? I had a 6.5 and all was electric sensor driven but the 6.2 is mechanical Injection pump right? Help!

jacksmad1

No computer, just a mechanical injection pump. It is questionable whether anything else on the M1008/9 would be affected by an EMP. There is a good discussion in another thread here

There are so many variables it is hard to say definitively what would happen. It depends on the type of EMP wave, how far away it is, what type of electronics, whether or not there is any type of shielding, etc. etc. Some speculate that the main thing in a M1008/9 that could be affected may be the diodes in the alternators. Lots of good reading, theories, speculation. At worst, have some extra diodes or an extra alternator stored in Faraday cage or other sealed metal enclosure just to be sure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks