• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 - Hard starting when Cold

McCluskey

Hey all,

I've been having some hard-starting on a cold start in the morning. It got progressively harder over the past 2 weeks, its now to the point where I have to crank for a good 30-40 seconds to get her to start. She cranks very well, the starter is getting enough power. The batteries are fully charged. I first noticed that the volt meter wasn't reacting with the Glowplug relay solenoid clicking like it always did. I swapped out the Glowplug relay under the hood with a new expensive Napa model. (PITA to get some of the nuts tightened on) Next morning, no change. Wasn't the GP relay. We checked grounds, resistance, and volt readings from the relay and every Glowplug terminal. All in acceptable limits.

The things we're going to try next is swapping out the Glowplug Controller card with my buddies functioning one. After that we're going to check all the Glowplugs themselves. If either of those are no-gos; what else do I check for?

DonK

I'm having the same trouble. Going after a new controller card and hoping that fixes it. Everthing else checks ok...what else could it be...

camogriz

My M1009 starts great, but once in a while it will resist, especially in cold weather. I then check the glowplugs (disconnect the glowplug, connect a test light to the positive battery terminal and the glowplug in question. If the test light lights up, the glowplug is good. If not, replace that glowplug). I usually find that two glowplugs have stopped working. After I replace them, it will start right away. Hope that helps.

mistaken1

If you are not showing a voltage drop during the glow plug cycle your glow plugs are either not getting power (bad wiring or bad control) or they are getting power and are not using it (bad glow plugs).

McCluskey

If you are not showing a voltage drop during the glow plug cycle your glow plugs are either not getting power (bad wiring or bad control) or they are getting power and are not using it (bad glow plugs).
Would a gradual increase of the difficulty to start up be possible from the controller card? Do they slowly go bad or just fry one day? And the steady decline could prove that my plugs were slowly going out?

mistaken1

There is a procedure to test all of the inputs and outputs of the control card to make sure they are good. If they are and you are having trouble replace the card. If one of the inputs is bad the card will will not work correctly (garbage in = garbage out).

If your glow plugs are stock 24V feed then one can go bad making starting a little harder and increases the chances of a second failed glow plug which makes starting a little harder and increases the chances of third failed glow plug etc.

Glow plug cascade failure

There are other issues that can cause hard starting. Download the TMs and follow the troubleshooting sections for your symptoms

DonK

What is the voltage at the glow plugs? 12v or 24v
Well.....lets see:roll:...that would depend on the system. In my case, I have 24v feeding the GPs thru the resister bank, with 8 good plugs I'm getting 8v at the load side of the GP Relay. Hope that helps. Like the Generals say "read the TMs"..

idM1028

@ Choll
The glowplugs are 12V (That is why there is a resistor bank; to drop the voltage from 24V to 12V) The only part of the truck that is true 24V is the starter.

McCluskey

I was a little confused by how the TM explained how to test my glowplugs; but if I did it right then they are confirmed dead. I'm going to Napa tomorrow to get a new set. Anyone have a recommendation on brand?

-Bosch
-Echlin Fuel System
-Autolite Spark Plugs
-Delphi Engine Management
-Champion Spark Plugs
-AC Spark Plugs

McCluskey

Would NAPA carry the new wire connectors as well? I don't want to grind them down, risk my warranty incase I get DOA again.

The truck just plain would not start this morning. Gonna have to hump it to Napa and back.

mistaken1

Would NAPA carry the new wire connectors as well? I don't want to grind them down, risk my warranty incase I get DOA again.

The truck just plain would not start this morning. Gonna have to hump it to Napa and back.
Yes. along with wally world and most other hardware and auto parts stores.

This is what you are looking for along with a crimp tool and some heat shrink to make things neat.

Female disconnect 22-18 gauge .250

Fuel related issues can keep a truck from starting or make it hard to start.

Did you download the TMs and follow the np start troubleshooting procedure?

Download the CUCV TMs here courtesy of Jatonka

Last edited:

McCluskey

Yes. along with wally world and most other hardware and auto parts stores.

This is what you are looking for along with a crimp tool and some heat shrink to make things neat.

Female disconnect 22-18 gauge .250

Fuel related issues can keep a truck from starting or make it hard to start.

Did you download the TMs and follow the np start troubleshooting procedure?

Download the CUCV TMs here courtesy of Jatonka
Up until this morning once the truck started it ran no problem. White smoke and all while trying to start it (I know, I was flooding it). A new Fuel Filter went in 8 days ago. I'm going to get the GPs swapped out tomorrow and I pray that fixes it and that there are no swelled plugs.

McCluskey

I'm going to get the plugs installed today. I picked up a set of AC Delco 60Gs, even the NAPA people recommended it too. Picked up a package of those connectors too.

I didn't have a tool that could reach the rear 2 GPs on either side, but I tested the other 6. All of them came in and out no problem, so at least 6 of them are no swelled. I pray the rear 2 are not as well.

Last edited:

Cucvnut

I used 1/4 inch ratchet with an extention and a 10mm long socket to get the rears. Go under the oil cooling lines o. The drivers size. Did you use anti seize on the plugs? On the passenger side I just took the battery out a.d I could reach all the plugs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks