• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 - Hard starting when Cold

mistaken1

I didn't have a tool that could reach the rear 2 GPs on either side, but I tested the other 6. All of them came in and out no problem, so at least 6 of them are no swelled. I pray the rear 2 are not as well.
Crawl under the truck and reach up from the bottom with a deep 10mm socket on a standard 3/8 drive ratchet. You can get to the two back plugs that way.

When installing the new plugs I put a small electrical wire nut inside the socket to keep the new glow plug from pushing down inside of the socket so I could use the socket and short extension to get the new plug started when reaching up from below. You can use anything that will fit in the socket to keep the threads of glow extended out past the socket when starting the new plug in the head (small bolt, piece of dowel rod, wadded up paper towel, etc.).

I'll second the motion to get the anti-seize and apply a little to the threads of the new plugs.

When you pull the old ones out check them with an ohm meter to confirm they are bad.

Boreal21

Any updates?

My boss' truck is having some starting issues similar to those described in the OP. I was wondering if you ever tracked down the real culprit...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks