• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Heavy Maintenance Visit

cucvrus

Great job. Looks really good. I like the OEM clean look approach. You were wise to have the 400 trans rebuilt. Now you know what you have. I always think that the transmission is the weak and most costly link in the driveline. You did excellent exhaust work. And the sill plates look custom. I usually just scuff them and hit them with Krylon flat black. But you do fine work. And your M1009 looks good just as it is. I remember when I first saw these things new and wondered about the chrome items that were on them inside. Then a few years later GM builds civilian trucks with everything blacked out on the interior trim. If you ever want to relocate the 4WD wiring at the shifter let me know. I have a quick fix for that. Thats another one that GM relocated a few years later. Good Luck on your project and keep up the good work.

Mg84648

I was silently watching this like a sitcom and now the seasons over. Great job !
Oh its far from over brother! I've got the fuel sending unit to do this week along with the the front wheel bearings after that. Not the most glamerous or flashy items for sure but very much needed none the less.
So sit back and get ready for season 2:popcorn:

KansasBobcat

What a great job. I may paint mine all 383 buy I'm afraid the imperfections in previous prep and paint will be be evident. My door sills are 180 degrees different installation with the thinner end to the rear. Which is correct? I marked mine when I took them out left and right. Don't mean to sound picky but just curious which is correct.

Another Ahab

What a great job. I may paint mine all 383 buy I'm afraid the imperfections in previous prep and paint will be be evident. My door sills are 180 degrees different installation with the thinner end to the rear. Which is correct? I marked mine when I took them out left and right. Don't mean to sound picky but just curious which is correct.
I understand you. If it doesn't matter, it's fine. Sure.

But if there IS a right way, then you want it to be right. That's not nitpicking. I totally get it.

cucvrus

WOW. It is true. You guys can pick anything out. But you are right they are in backwards. I looked through my 1984 pictures when they were new vehicles and they are in the opposite way. Probably designed to keep the door seal in place from the passengers entering and exiting the rear seat area. It looks good either way. I sure wouldn't sweat it. I cut them rubbers off sometimes at the bottom of the vertical door frame. It makes less places for moisture and dirt to accumulate. Just urethane the seal fast and eliminate the sill plate completely. No place for dirt and moisture to sit and cause nasty RUST. I still think you did an excellent job. Keep up the fine work. The detail work looks really good. Done with pride.

Mg84648

Nice catch guys. Thats how the drivers side was installed when i got it. The pax side had some homedepot looking flashing installed so i just put the new LMC ones on like they had been. Im going to leave them as is. I just cant justify three more holes through the floor just flip them around. Maybe later when the "new" wears off the truck ill flip them:)

As far as knit picking, Ahab is correct, If its wrong its wrong. Thats why i joined this site. To help me return this beast to its previous glory and to help me get it right, so thanks for pointing it out.

Mg84648

Not to be tedious but if you did not drill new holes then you can use the original existing holes. Again, a really terrific job on the M1009.
I replaced the floor pans on both sides due to rot partially caused by the sill plate screws so the original holes no longer exist. Flipping them around would put 3 more holes an inch away from the existing holes. I could gring them down and fill them with structural filler and pick up nrw holes but I'm concentrating on the fuel sending unit right now. I'll probably swap them when it bugs me enough;)

Mg84648

I added some radio equipment purchased from Pvt. Jarhead last week.
Both radios are display only and Inop. Also I took artistic license when installing the speakers and intercom selector so this hybrid VRC-47/VRC-12 set-up may not be anatomically correct. But looks pretty dadgum cool!
I may wire power to it so I can get the lights to come on, who knows. I haven't even cracked the cases to see what is left inside so we'll see.

The antennas are both -3900 and not the tunable units usually used with this setup but will do. As far as purchasing working radios I felt that the cost out ways the benefit. I haven't a Ham ticket and I couldn't justify spending that type of money just to listen to static.
Enjoy!
MG

Attachments

Another Ahab

I added some radio equipment purchased from Pvt. Jarhead last week.
Both radios are display only and Inop. Also I took artistic license when installing the speakers and intercom selector so this hybrid VRC-47/VRC-12 set-up may not be anatomically correct. But looks pretty dadgum cool!
I may wire power to it so I can get the lights to come on, who knows. I haven't even cracked the cases to see what is left inside so we'll see.
Operational would have been very cool.

But next best thing...it looks great. Nice work.

Mg84648

I know it's been a couple years but since then I did the 3 tone camo and added two more antenna brackets. I'm trying to piece together a GRC-213 which is proving challenging AND expensive.IMG_0667.jpgIMG_0673.jpgIMG_0674.jpg