• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Help

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No.

Read the thread from the beginning. The wiring has been hacked. Working on just getting it to crank first and then moving on to starting.

Once we get it running then moving on to all the maintenance items. Also missing the tranny.

Last edited:
Well that's really annoying (not you guys). Had to spend so much time getting stuff together for the truck and running around to stores that I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow :(! On top of that, 3/8" fuel hose is OVER $5.5 A FOOT... Seriously? It doesn't help that I'm stuck on a bad budget (about nothing...).

Guess I'll see if the engine will crank tomorrow and I think my Grandpa has some useable hose siting around somewhere (thankfully he's getting back into town tonight I believe).

Edit: Thanks for the reference Warthog! Might just have to talk with him. (this was another instance of the post only showing up once I posted mine)

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The line for the fuel can be anything for the test. Should be able to find something in the $.50 range. Even the clear stuff from the hardware store.

how are you getting around to the stores? Bike? Motorcycle?

Colton's budget is about the same. I have sent him hundreds of $ worth of used parts.

Yeah, my Grandpa has a couple decent lengths of clear stuff of several diameters so I ought to be able to find something. Currently I am getting around by means of my Mom :)p) and though I get my license in March, I'm gonna need a vehicle (maybe this M1009 :)?) since we only have my Mom's Accord.

I meant to ask you Warthog, when you talk about the wiring being hacked, do you mean because of the lack of a 12v power wire to the truck or what? The only reason why there is no wire to the diamond junction block is because the jumper that would be between the two batteries is gone and I'm assuming the wire came off of that (I've been using two sets of automotive jumper cables meanwhile). There are no signs that I have seen so far that would indicate that somebody had messed with the wiring otherwise. Also, don't forget that I'm also missing the drive shafts and I think the transfer case (I haven't got a good chance to look under the truck due to its current position, I need to drag it onto the concrete pad in front of my Grandpa's shop).

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes that is what I was talking about. The stock cable had the "jumper" wire to feed the 12v system.

The transfer case is more than likely also missing, along with the mounts. Lets get it running first and then worry about the other stuff.

Last edited:
Just to get the ideas spun up before it comes down to a short time tomorrow, given that I can get the engine to run, what should I put in the radiator? Normally of course, you would put in distilled water and/or antifreeze, but the radiator in this thing appears to have some corrosion. With that in mind, should I just fill it up with some water as a temporary solution or what. And could I even use hose water since it would be just temporarily? I don't want to have to waste my precious few dollars on something temporary, my Grandpa might have a few ideas too.

stampy

Personally I would get it to start and run first just dont run it long with no coolant. I have dry run vehicles for less than a minute with no ill effects. Just don't let it run long and let it cool down after before starting again until you get the radiator addressed

Matt Kahle

Run the engine first but when your ready to take care of the coolant system I put a little something together Antifreeze has anti corrosion to protect the engine that's why you would add distilled water because distilled water has no minerals. So don't add water from the hose. How bad it the corrosion? Tell you what take a sample of the antifreeze and see what it looks like. If it's bad then do a radiator flush with distilled water and clean out all that crap from the radiator and the engine and don't for get before add more coolant make sure it's 50/50 water and antifreeze and check the coolant hose's and for leaks. I think you know how to add more coolant. The 6.2 takes 25 quirt's of coolant.

For one, the radiator is bone dry from what I can tell so I could probably try and dump some water through and see what comes out but if it takes 12 quarts of water (that's a rounded half) plus what it takes to flush. We would be talking 4 or 5 gallons of water there at say $2 a gallon, ouch! I had a hard time spending $4 today on a gallon of diesel and I had to put it into an old gas can at that! (If you haven't read my other posts already, my budget is TIGHT)