• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Help

Man do these things drain batteries quick! I couldn't get the thing to crank good enough to start it again. Because of that, I decided to just have dinner and leave the batteries on the charger. I will be trying again in a few minutes. Still, it ran!

Well, I tried again but my Grandpa thinks we need to borrow the batteries out of his rv. The truck just takes so much juice to crank over fast enough to catch. Funny thing I just thought of... I have no idea if the glow plugs are working but when I got the engine to crank over fast enough, the thing started in about 15 seconds in the low 50s! The engine purrs too!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great news. Time to pull it out from next to the building and get the fuel line hooked up.

While cranking, don't crank too long. 5-10 seconds at the max. 1-2 minutes to cool off. The starter will overheat and burn out. No cash to buy a new one.

so what does your grandpa think of all this?

Last edited:
Definitely! I can't wait until I can work on it again! I have kept it mind the information on the starter and follow it for any vehIcle I use. My Grandpa has mixed feelings on whether to keep the thing together or use the engine for parts. Annoyingly enough, the previous owner had decided that he was going to keep all the driveline and stuff even though he already had another perfectly good CUCV.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What parts does you granda need for sure?

Does he have a multimeter you can use? If not you might buy one and learn how to use it. There are some electrical items we can work on as a lesson.

When is your birthday?

Last edited:
For his 83 Silverado, I know my Grandpa needs the crankshaft and the block. There might be other things that he needs but I think that those are all. I actually have a multimeter of my own and know how to use it. It has actually been extremely handy already in this project! What are you thinking about for the lessons?

Yes, I was already thinking about that and I would of but I only left the engine on a couple seconds before I shut it off because it surprised me and I wasn't prepared for it. Once again, I would of after that but I couldn't get the engine going again (not enough juice was left in the batteries).

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The glow plugs are partially working or you would not be able to start at 50. Not sure of your situation but I would negotiate with grandpa to work at the farm in trade for the vehicle. I am impressed by your accomplishments, great job. Did you check oil quality and level?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you want to get into modifying the drive train and linkages, you will want the NP208. There are others in your area for about $100.

Something to think about, once you talk grandpa into giving you the truck, you may want to find another parts truck that will have all the pieces you will need.

It is great to hear that the glow plugs are at least partially working! I didn't have a chance to look at the dash light because of the aforementioned surprise and because I didn't have enough juice left in the batteries afterwards. I already help my Grandpa a lot (it isn't a farm) and he pays me but maybe he can pay me with the truck instead... He doesn't know if he wants the engine for parts or leave it together at this point. The oil is dark and a bit high but it is only oil as far as we can tell (and it is the right consistency) though we will be checking at the drain plug. Thank you for the compliment Swiss and thanks for the tips Warthog!

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drain a bit out from the drain plug as it is high anyway and check what it looks like from the bottom end. If it does not have bad burned smell and or the white mix from water then you should be good to go for a short duration motor run.

Help Grandpa find another donor vehicle at the junk yards or craigslist. M1009's are not good donor vehicles for civi vehicles :)

I believe that is exactly what my Grandpa intends to do (regarding the oil)! I will be looking around for parts for both vehicles but when you say that a M1009 isn't a good parts vehicle, how serious are you being? I definitely see the humorous side to it but it would make sense for that to be true as well.

Edit: Gotta laugh at your post Warthog! (again, just saw it as I posted mine)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks