• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Interior Door Panels.. Atlanta area

CycleJay

Hi all,

Does anyone know how to remove the door panels in an M1009?

I would like to get them off to so I can clean them, maybe refinish them?

If any of you are in the Atlanta area, that would be great.

Any information would be appreciated..

Thank you

CJ

ralbelt

If they are the same as the M1008 there is a philips head screw in the armrest, the rest are push in clips that you carefully pry out. Use an interior trim removal tool if available. I think HF has a cheap set.

CycleJay

Hello ralbelt,

Thanks for the info. I will look into that, as soon as I get one of those interior trim removal tools..
Who is HF?

Thanks

CJ

Mudstone

hf is harbor freight. I have removed and remounted mine a few times for various reasons and did not need a special tool. use a phillips head to unscrew everything and then the clips can be carefully wiggled with the help of a flat head. all mine are intact as well. good luck

ABN173

Don't forget the c-clip behind the window handle/crank. I just had to pull mine off to pop a dent out. it was about a 30min job from start to finish

CycleJay

Hello Mudstone,

Thanks for the info. I will try a phillips and flat head..

I would like to take them off, give them a good cleaning,
then perhaps give them a good thorough spray paint job either in the color they already are, or black..

What do you think? original brown, or black?

Thanks

CJ

ABN173

press in on the panel some, then use flat tip screwdriver to pop off clip or needle nose to pull it off. I have also heard that you can slide a rag or old t-shirt in there an snag it in order to pull it off without losing it as you might with the first method. It took longer to put back on than removing it.

wikallen

press in on the panel some, then use flat tip screwdriver to pop off clip or needle nose to pull it off. I have also heard that you can slide a rag or old t-shirt in there an snag it in order to pull it off without losing it as you might with the first method. It took longer to put back on than removing it.

The window cranks comes off real easy with a thin rag or shirt like you said. Putting it back on is even easier. You put the clip on the crank, then just pop the crank back onto the shaft, the clip will spring out, then snap back in place.

Screwdrivers work on the panel clips, but the panel tool works much better, as it will actually pull on the clip from 2 sides.

CycleJay

Hi guys,

Thanks for the info.
I will give that a try when I get myself some paint, and see what happens.
The door panels are in good shape, but look faded, blotched, like ****.
So I want to get them looking better..

Good night,

CJ

ABN173

You put the clip on the crank, then just pop the crank back onto the shaft, the clip will spring out, then snap back in place.
Cool tip! I had heard about that but my clip was pretty bent up so I did not want make it worse or break it so my solution was to place the clip almost completely on (the point just before the ends slide into the slot) then I placed the handle back on and all it took was nudge with the screwdriver and it was done.

MSgt USMC (Ret)

Between 1984-1986 I doubt there was a Harbor Freight Chinese Junk Shop in the U.S. We've become so use to running to these swill shops like Wal-Mart what would society do without them?

"Support the Chinese Red Army, Shop Wal-Mart and Harbor Freight".

lavarok

You guys have panel clips on your door panels?!? I've taken apart a few CUCV door panels and never seen a single push in clip. They aren't in the TM either.

There are one or two screws that hold the arm rest, one behind the door handle, and half a dozen or so around the edges. Then the little clip for the window crank. By the way, there is a tool you can get for the window clip that makes removal a snap.

Attachments

ABN173

Ian,

Your correct, I'm pretty sure that the window clips are the "panel clips" that are being referred to. The terminology may have been off but the idea was correct.

-Dale

CycleJay

Hello Ralbelt,

Ok, I looked it up in google. And read what it entails.
Sounds expensive.

What is it going to cost you for each door panel?

Any info. would be appreciated.

Thank you

CJ

CycleJay

Hello Ralbelt,

Hmmm.. a can of spray paint and a steady hand would be less expensive.
Perhaps some time in the future, when I am making more money,
I can get them done that way.
But in the mean time, I need to find a less expensive way to bring them back to life,
or refinish them.

Have a good one,

CJ

Hogg

They make vinyl spray paint made specifically for that. I bought new door panels from LMC truck, a little pricey but they sure made it look ten times better. Here are some pics

Attachments

CycleJay

Hello Hogg,

Thanks for the info..
I will look for vinyl spray paint then.
And I will also look at my LMC catalogs and see how much the door panels are.
Unless you care to tell me?

Thanks

CJ