• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 LED Problems

fullthrottle46

The resistors are commonly available (ebay, superbright led), I did one before the plug on both sides. The bulbs are white and then flash yellow.
thx brother man. I might have to try this route as using the reverse polarity electronic flasher didn’t work at all. I’ve never seen these resistors before, would you mind showing me a link of the ones you’re referring to? Thx in advance.

GunnyM1009

MAN!! I did exactly what you said and they will only both flash when you turn your indicator(blinker) on. It’s like I have my hazards on, all 4 blinking. Maybe it’s the LED bulbs I’m using? They’re these:

Phinlion Super Bright 3014 72-SMD BA15S 1156 1073 7506 Amber Yellow LED Light Bulbs for Turn Signal Blinker Lights https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D579C9...abc_1R9KKK9RE835DWJ8N6BT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Which bulbs did you use? Thx in advance, it’s strange that this is such a PIA! The Front bulbs are only LED issue, everything else works. Oh and I did try them with and without the relay harness connected.
This was my order when I redid my lighting. The signal lights are no longer available. It sounds like several people have had this problem maybe I just got lucky. Sorry it didn't work for you bro. I also advise against those headlights on that list to. They are bright as anything but they blind the crap out of oncoming traffic.

Attachments

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This was my order when I redid my lighting. The signal lights are no longer available. It sounds like several people have had this problem maybe I just got lucky. Sorry it didn't work for you bro. I also advise against those headlights on that list to. They are bright as anything but they blind the crap out of oncoming traffic.
Yeah, that was 2016, and that is pretty much junk now..

The issue with some LEDs is their construction, only using resistors instead of a voltage regulation circuit (usually PWM).

The other half of the issue is the wiring in the CUCVs and similar chevy trucks of that year range.

They don't have a positive and negative going to the side marker. They run the side marker bridged between high and low on the parking/turn lamp. It relies on the filament to use as a path to ground. No filament = no ground path, and funny things start happening when you use diodes to block juice from flowing in one direction.

Without being able to use the turn signal bulb filament as a path to ground, it seeks out another ground.. Usually through your cluster and the turn signal indicator..

I know which bulbs work for me, but I've also gone through my electrical system and understand it fully. If there are any hiccups in your electrical system, it may be what's causing the issues, and the symptoms are because of the combination of what the DIODES are doing in addition to your wiring issue.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as a known good working setup...

Here is what I use...

Last edited:

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thx brother man. I might have to try this route as using the reverse polarity electronic flasher didn’t work at all. I’ve never seen these resistors before, would you mind showing me a link of the ones you’re referring to? Thx in advance.

fullthrottle46

Right on thx man. That’s great you got those flashers to work.. makes sense why I couldn’t find them, bummer. Ya I wanted the classic look but didn’t want to pay a $100 for just the headlights with no bulbs. This one works great with LED Bulbs:

GS Power's OEM style 7 x 6 inch... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F2XH8NR?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

fullthrottle46

Thanks a lot! I’ll give these’s a try. Maybe they’ll make the front LED flashers work. Sorry to ask but If you have any pics on how these are connected to the front flashers that would be huge. Car electrical just isn’t a strength of mine. To me it looks like those blue things turns into a plug and you’d have BOTH the trucks Harness plug and the flasher plug into the blue thing.

ssdvc

Right on thx man. That’s great you got those flashers to work.. makes sense why I couldn’t find them, bummer. Ya I wanted the classic look but didn’t want to pay a $100 for just the headlights with no bulbs. This one works great with LED Bulbs:

GS Power's OEM style 7 x 6 inch... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F2XH8NR?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Full throttle, did you install that set up? What LED bulbs did you use and how is the cut-off? Is it blinding oncoming traffic? How is the glass (some of those housings are a great price=, but have pretty thin glass).

I was thinking of the Hella housings https://www.amazon.com/Rectangular-...7&sprefix=hella+6x7+headlight,aps,251&sr=8-39 but don't know what bulb I should go with.

fullthrottle46

As far as a known good working setup...

Here is what I use...

SUCCESS!!! It was the damn bulbs!!!! The:
JDM ASTAR High Performance Super Bright 1:1 Design 3020 Chips 1157 2057 7508 Amber LED Bulbs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NQWSF5G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_PCYAFF7MG70TGD340Q0Q

worked perfect!! Thank you so much. Crazy to think it was the bulbs.I thought the ones I got were the same, I still don’t even know the difference but whatever. They work!

UPDATE: I was wrong. It only works when headlights are OFF! When the headlights are on the flashers won’t work. Now I guess I’ll try that reverse polarity flasher.

Last edited:

fullthrottle46

Full throttle, did you install that set up? What LED bulbs did you use and how is the cut-off? Is it blinding oncoming traffic? How is the glass (some of those housings are a great price=, but have pretty thin glass).

I was thinking of the Hella housings https://www.amazon.com/Rectangular-Halogen-Replacement-Headlight-Standard/dp/B000FLWSX6/ref=sr_1_39?crid=1ZMQX0U28ABBJ&dchild=1&keywords=hella+6x7+headlight+housing&qid=1627338817&sprefix=hella+6x7+headlight,aps,251&sr=8-39 but don't know what bulb I should go with.
I just didn’t see the point in getting the Hella’s they were just too expensive for me and they didn’t come with LED’s. I really like the ones I got, they seem to be the same just off brand.

fullthrottle46

no worries on the resistors. It was the bulbs! Everything works perfect.

UPDATE: I was wrong. It only works when headlights are OFF! When the headlights are on the flashers won’t work. Now I guess I’ll try that reverse polarity flasher

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SUCCESS!!! It was the damn bulbs!!!! The:
JDM ASTAR High Performance Super Bright 1:1 Design 3020 Chips 1157 2057 7508 Amber LED Bulbs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NQWSF5G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_PCYAFF7MG70TGD340Q0Q

worked perfect!! Thank you so much. Crazy to think it was the bulbs.I thought the ones I got were the same, I still don’t even know the difference but whatever. They work!
Resistor based vs PWM voltage regulated. It's greek, I know..

I also linked headlights in that post... Skip the H4 housings and LED bulbs and go with LED projectors like I listed.... ;)

MattTurbo

I ran a resister on the front turn signals when I switched to all led. I tried several different flashers but none seemed to solve the problem. My setup currently works with switch back bulbs in the turn signals, which might be a little fast and furious. But I like the difference in appearance.
Hi Mad Texan, how did you install 2 bulbs on the parking light housing? Or is it a special bulb with white and amber color?

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bulb is called a switchback bulb. It has both clear and amber led chips on it to change colors.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bulb is called a switchback bulb. It has both clear and amber led chips on it to change colors.

....and it's absolute garbage using 20 year old LED technology with no heat management.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two posts and you offer no resolution to what was asked... nor referred to a product that accomplishes what was asked

Third vehicle that I've used these bulbs in... never melted a lens because of a heat dissipation... two were daily drivers

Do you have verified laboratory testing that proving your statements or the statements of your preferred brand?

Moving forward all 'modifications' must be approved by you... :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Why I often don't share 40 years of experience but I often respect peoples choices without blatantly tell them my opinion... moving on

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two posts and you offer no resolution to what was asked... nor referred to a product that accomplishes what was asked

Third vehicle that I've used these bulbs in... never melted a lens because of a heat dissipation... two were daily drivers

Do you have verified laboratory testing that proving your statements or the statements of your preferred brand?

Moving forward all 'modifications' must be approved by you... :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Why I often don't share 40 years of experience but I often respect peoples choices without blatantly tell them my opinion... moving on
It's not the lens that melts, it's the LED emitters that get dimmer and dimmer - premature failure due to heat, not to mention rapid dimming when in use. Increased heat = increased resistance = higher current draw and you have a cascade failure. Modern LED bulbs also thermal throttle, but they do so to protect the bulb, as opposed to the basic bulbs like you posted that throttle due to electro-mechanical limitations, which basically means they're stressed to the point of failure.

Just a couple posts above yours is a 'known good' setup. I've also gone through dozens of different models and designs.

If you want me to update my suggestions, I can. Technology is constantly changing.

I know electronics, I know thermal dynamics and how it applies to electronics.

You can find a good primer below, and while a little dated, it illustrates what I'm talking about.

It's your truck. You can do with it what you want. If you're happy with your bulbs, then that's fine. I'm just saying there are much better out there, for not much more money... or, in some cases, same or less money, than what I've seen people buy.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks