M1009 Little Red Riding Hood.

cucvrus

Where should I start? I came home from work last night with all good intentions. I did a multitude of projects and made great headway. Finished and few and will not start anymore projects was the goal. The Wife called and had a flat tire on the Honda Scooter. Off to get that and begin the repair. I called a dealer and they wanted $125. to replace the tire. They said that included the tire. I was about to bite and thought I can do that job. If I can frame off rebuild a CUCV I can change a Honda scooter tire. I YouTubed it and it was off in 15 minutes. The key was the 4 bolts holding the exhaust system on. I am currently waiting for a tire. I moved onto wood cutting. Remember I am by myself most of the time. I cut all the wood that was to long for the splitter and went on to sifting my goal of 2 - 5 gallon buckets of top soil. That is how I take care of my back. a little at a time. I went in the center bay and moved the 5 tires and wheels from Little Red into the back room. If I was still running an M1009 I would take them 1983 Goodyear Wrangler AT's up to Rausch Creek and send them out in a blaze of glory. Nothing finds the weakness in tires like hot highways and off road in rocky terrain. It would at least make them look like the belong on the scrap pile. They still have over 1/2 tread and are looking good. However only safe when parked. I moved onto getting the rear area sanded a bit and before I knew it, it was 8PM. Enough for 1 day that begins at 0400 dark. Chickens all away and into shower and rest. And here I am again today. It all works out. everything can not be completed in 1 day and don't need to be. Like an all you can eat buffet. 1 bite at a time gets it done. the main rule to learn is quit going back for more. It's there but keep focused on what is on your plate now. Good Luck and Be Safe. It's going to happen.

Sezzo

Maybe one of the very original 1983 Goodyear Wrangler tires should be honored as spare tire in the M1009. One original tire the CUCV was born with back in 1983. This could be a unique item - just for historical reasons, not recommended for driving.

cucvrus

I was away from the homestead working a few days on wood cutting and mountain land. I am beat and can tell I was busy. I came home today and played catch-up a few hours and am now done for today. I had the help I needed to get the roof removed yesterday and quickly had that off and stored inside the center bay. The best way to store one is upright. Takes up less room and makes picking it back up easier than flat on the floor. DSCF7650.JPG I looked at how the factory used the strip caulk on the roof to cab seal. Not sure I could duplicate that sealing method. DSCF7651.JPG DSCF7655.JPG I was also checking out where the antenna brackets were bolted thru both the inner and outer panels. I truly hate the antenna brackets. I fixed a lot of damaged bedsides and 1/4 panels from that mounting. DSCF7644.JPGDSCF7645.JPGDSCF7646.JPG I also wanted to show the thickness of the brushed on CARC paint in the floor area. I don't trust coating over it because it has poor adhesion at spots. So I will continue the mindless sanding. DSCF7647.JPG That is where the rear seat prop fastens. They may have spilled the paint in the rear cargo area. The left 1/4 panel looks great. DSCF7652.JPG The right has a few smaller dents I am going to fix the dents before painting the vehicle. Not worried about minor ones but these I can see and feel easily. DSCF7653.JPG DSCF7654.JPGNo point in painting over dents on purpose. Thank you for looking. I am showing my M1009 topless. Take Care and Be Safe.

cucvrus

I sure do hope that getting the transmission back in place counts as progress. I had help tonight and was able to get it back up in place and bolted to the engine block. That was the goal. I also have the fill tube installed. That is all I done tonight. My Wife ran the jack and I had a friend help he get it in place. It always helps to have helpers when getting the transmission back in. Getting it out is a one man job. I have put many in by myself but it takes longer and makes for a bit of excitement when things don't go as planned. Take Care. No pictures tonight. I was outside working and I went right at it. Be Safe.

cucvrus

On another note I seen a Quadrasteer in a truck at the YOUPULLIT 2 weeks ago. https://www.motorbiscuit.com/gm-quadrasteer-the-great-invention-no-one-wanted/
That is a Dana 60 rear axle from a pick up. It was gone in a few days. I am not sure how that would be an advantage in a truck that wasn't equipped from the factory with one. But I know they were nice in trucks when new. My friend had one and it was easy to get around in a tight spot. Take Care. It is raining here in PA. Time to do some more work on the M1009 after work.

cucvrus

I know I haven't posted any progress lately. Spring time brings many projects that need attention here at the compound. I do make slight progress on many things daily. One of my goals is to complete projects and stay on them till they are completed. The outside work is very important. I had a large, very large reserve pile of hardwood unsplit piled on my property. I already have 10+ cords split. stacked, racked and under tarp. I was offered a fair price for the wood pile split and delivered and I jumped on it. That wood pile has become a big dead spot on my property that the Marmots are taking up refuge under. As of Friday the entire pile is gone. Yesterday I repaired 2 Honda mowers that have plagued me for 2 years. The total cost was less than $100. I am at a loss of how replacing the carburetor can make a mower run like brand new again. These carburetors have no adjustment and I kept them spotless. I was told ethanol gas ruins them. How? I run them out of gas every time and use clean fuel. I do loan them out so that may be the issue. But I fixed both mowers and now I have my Kubota mower to repair. It threw a belt and I had to buy a $70. Land Pride belt. I tried every $30. brand out there and the original Land pride lasted 20 years. The off brands last 1 season and dust black and blue belt particles all over the deck. I can't explain it. I did more CARC sanding on the floor and hate every minute of it. I will get it done but it is my hobby and I have other issues at the moment. My scrap pile is going to be hauled off as I am having trouble getting turned around at the barn. It is strange how the CUCV's flock back to me for repairs. I have a Built in a barn M1009 from 7 years ago here. And Mr. Rusty has returned for his annual check up. I also wanted to report back that after 2 winters of plowing snow and hard use the hydraulic hoses I had fabricated were still holding up well and have no signs of leakage or fatigue. Meet Mr Rusty | Page 13 | SteelSoldiers
I know I had some doubters out there, This is my tested results and it made a nice job with out having them twisted steel transmission lines hanging underneath the truck. These are P clamped up above the transmission and clamped to the left inner fender. They held up well. Have a Great Day and Be Safe. I have work to do. No time for chit chat at the moment.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks