• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Little Red Riding Hood.

cucvrus

Here is an old story about a full size Chevy Blazer. This accident happened up in the Raucsh Creek area back in 1984. A bit scary. I was just thinking about it while I was working out in the garage. Imagine the size of the hole in the earth that swallowed a full size Chevy blazer and allowed it to plummet 70 feet into the earth. It didn't end well for the occupants.

cucvrus

After 5 hours of heating, scrapping and sanding I have partially removed the plastic tar covering that was added at the factory. Being brush painted with a heavy coat of 383 CARC green did not help the situation. I have burnt thru every chemicals I have and 50 sheets of 80 grit DA sand paper along with 20 2" rolok scrubbing discs. I had enough for 1 day. it looks great. I still have a few hours to get it to meet my approval. Not sure why the propane torch will work for 15 minutes upside down then all of a sudden pour propane flame out. If I let it sit a while it will work normal another 10 -15 minutes. I will be done with the front then I must go back and sand the cargo floor also brush painted with CARC. JOY. DSCF7615.JPGDSCF7616.JPGDSCF7617.JPGDSCF7618.JPGDSCF7619.JPGDSCF7620.JPGDSCF7621.JPGDSCF7622.JPGDSCF7623.JPG Take Care. I am doing my best to find the rust before I get the Line X sprayed in. Rust Never sleeps.

cucvrus

I am happy with what I see in the pinch welds of the door jam. DSCF7624.JPGDSCF7625.JPG I am also happy with the underside of the floor. I thoroughly steam cleaned this under side while it was hoisted up in the air. I done that back in the days when the company was small and we could do things at the plant. No more of that allowed, DSCF7626.JPGDSCF7627.JPGDSCF7628.JPGDSCF7629.JPG Now it is time for me to rest. DSCN0353.jpg
My old faithful Pal. Hansel. He has departed and will never be replaced. Take Care and Be safe.

1love

I am happy with what I see in the pinch welds of the door jam. View attachment 831567View attachment 831568 I am also happy with the underside of the floor. I thoroughly steam cleaned this under side while it was hoisted up in the air. I done that back in the days when the company was small and we could do things at the plant. No more of that allowed, View attachment 831569View attachment 831570View attachment 831571View attachment 831572 Now it is time for me to rest. View attachment 831573
My old faithful Pal. Hansel. He has departed and will never be replaced. Take Care and Be safe.

Sorry for the loss.

Sezzo

I am happy with what I see in the pinch welds of the door jam. View attachment 831567View attachment 831568 I am also happy with the underside of the floor. I thoroughly steam cleaned this under side while it was hoisted up in the air. I done that back in the days when the company was small and we could do things at the plant. No more of that allowed, View attachment 831569View attachment 831570View attachment 831571View attachment 831572 Now it is time for me to rest. View attachment 831573
A dog is an essential part of the family. Sorry for the painful loss. He had a german name. It is Hänsel or Haensel in german. He will never be forgotten and this is a great honor.

Very nice and clean work on the M1009. I like it very much! Rust needs to be afraid of CUCVRUS. Take care.

cucvrus

Unfortunately all good things come to an end. I never replaced Hansel because I didn't want to suffer that loss again. I have a Cat now I like it but the bond is not the same. As far as rust it never sleeps. And it can be lurking below the surface unbeknownst to the builder. I don't know how to find it all. Short of skinning the entire vehicle. On the unbolt able parts when I find rust it is simply repair it or replace it. On the super structure panel rust can be repaired welding panels/patches in. But you can weld a panel and do the repair only to find 6 months later a nasty rust bubble can appear a few inches from the original repair. You have no way of seeing inside behind the panel. Many body shops in my area will NOT repair rusty structures. And the ones that do will do it at great cost and will NOT warranty the job against further rust. Rust and steel go hand in hand. I can not live with rust so I just buy a brand new truck every 5 years so I don't have to. Same as expensive vehicle repairs. At 61 I like bumper to bumper warranty for 5 years. Sell it and get another. That works for me. Thank you for the support. I an chugging along and getting better daily. I still have no taste or smell. A friend said he knew that for years because I drive a Chevy. HA. Take Care and Be Safe.

cucvrus

I spent a few hours yesterday messing with that tarred in plastic floor covering. That stuff sticks and I heated and scrapped. Now I just have the edge over near my bolted in transmission tunnel cover. They don't sell the good old air craft stripper anymore. I did take Acetone and enamel reducer and it just laughed at that stuff. Even the 80 grit DA and 2" rolock pads get chewed up. The issue is also that the CARC was brush puddled in the corners and is dirty. I did get to reassemble the 4WD shifter after cleaning and painting all the components. it looks great with new fasteners and moves smoothly. I may leave that out until after the Line X is sprayed it. More Later. Be safe and Take Care. Fighting with my camera and picture uploads. I am computer illiterate.

cucvrus

What's a couple more hours spent getting the CARC out of the corners? I have it about 90% out and am happy with the results. That next 10 % will take as long as the entire left front side did. I had 2 acres of lawn to mow this evening and the 1989 Honda sputtered a bit while mowing so I removed the carburetor and cleaned it out with air. It ran better. That Honda has a 2 cylinder water cooled OHC engine 18 HP. I remember buying it and paying over $4 K for it. My Dad told me I was crazy. Do the math that comes out to about $125. a year plus the maintenance. Still a good deal. Never sat out over night and never rained on. That is why my CUCV's run. When it needs fixed I do my best to do it right. Doing half fast work always ends up costing more. Take Care and Be Safe.

cucvrus

Today was a long day. I made great progress on the floor and managed to get all the plastic and CARC cleaned off. I even went back to the passemngers side and cleaned the edges better. DSCF7632.JPGDSCF7633.JPGDSCF7634.JPG I need to get the Line X sprayed in and then I will be able to lay down the new floor boards. I have a new saw and edger I think it will look great with a hardwood floor installed. Wood don't rust and it is easier to replace if needed. DSCF7635.JPG Next I need to get the rebuilt transmission back in the truck so I can get the floor line Xed.DSCF7636.JPG Hope to have that back in in a week or 2. Getting a bit better all the time. Still no taste or smell and have slight ear ringing. Good thing seems energy level is returning and I weigh what I weighed in 11 grade in 1976. That is always great news. Take Care I will be taking orders on the hardwood flooring as soon as I get a pattern and perfect the fit. Style and fit will be the new norm. I hope to run mask less thru a crowd again someday. And I wanted to show my fresh over hauled 4WD shifter. DSCF7637.JPG I like it. All clean and greased up. Take Care and Be Safe.

cucvrus

Yesterday I decided I had enough firewood to last about 10 years. that was just counting what I had split stacked and under tarp. I have decided to split the big pile and market it. I will never use it and don't want to see it go to waste. I am constantly finding people that want trees cut and wood removed. Time to share and make a few bucks in the process. I split it load it on the trailer and drop the trailer at the customers house. They call when it is unloaded and it has worked out well so far. 2 loads down. Not everyone has a CARC 383 green Honda tractor and a diesel camouflaged log splitter. Dare to be different. I bought that tractor 20 years ago as a recovered theft. Someone off roaded it and the deck was smashed and seat missing. they rolled it down over an embankment and left it for dead. $200 on a sealed bid and I owned it. the Honda snow blower cost me three times that but it is all worth it. I am going out to sand CARC. Free lessons if anyone wants to stop by. DSCF7638.JPGDSCF7639.JPGDSCF7640.JPGHave Fun and Be Safe. Sifting a ton of dirt has to be in the schedule today also.

dougco1

Yesterday I decided I had enough firewood to last about 10 years. that was just counting what I had split stacked and under tarp. I have decided to split the big pile and market it. I will never use it and don't want to see it go to waste. I am constantly finding people that want trees cut and wood removed. Time to share and make a few bucks in the process. I split it load it on the trailer and drop the trailer at the customers house. They call when it is unloaded and it has worked out well so far. 2 loads down. Not everyone has a CARC 383 green Honda tractor and a diesel camouflaged log splitter. Dare to be different. I bought that tractor 20 years ago as a recovered theft. Someone off roaded it and the deck was smashed and seat missing. they rolled it down over an embankment and left it for dead. $200 on a sealed bid and I owned it. the Honda snow blower cost me three times that but it is all worth it. I am going out to sand CARC. Free lessons if anyone wants to stop by. View attachment 832773View attachment 832774View attachment 832775Have Fun and Be Safe. Sifting a ton of dirt has to be in the schedule today also.
Why dos that $600.00 Honda snow blower look like it belongs on a Kubota?

cucvrus

Why dos that $600.00 Honda snow blower look like it belongs on a Kubota?
No it is a genuine Honda attachment for the Honda 4514 tractor. The dealer had it and was missing a few of the parts/fasteners. Mainly the counter weight so I built that back bumper attachment and attached it the bagger bars. As everything I did no major modifications to do the attachment and made the bumper like a dump truck bumper so it weighed about the same as the Honda counter weight which was a big dollar item. Everything can be unbolted with no holes drilled. My bumper/counter weight set up is more useful with the class 3 receiver and the tow rings. I have a stone driveway. Snow blowing is a very COLD and tedious job unless you have a pocket full of shear pins. I put grade 2 bolts in place and notch them with the die grinder. Don't use the blower much any more since the Kubota has a loader. Dougco if you lived closer I could share my building experience. While sifting the ton of top soil my mind was thinking of a power sifter. I am researching ideas at the moment. I am already eyeball deep in projects and pecking away at the larger ones. My main project is the current m1009 in my barn. Sanding brushed CARC paint is a task not to be taken lightly when you want a smooth finished fresh flat paint job. Have a Great Day and Be Safe.

dougco1

No it is a genuine Honda attachment for the Honda 4514 tractor. The dealer had it and was missing a few of the parts/fasteners. Mainly the counter weight so I built that back bumper attachment and attached it the bagger bars. As everything I did no major modifications to do the attachment and made the bumper like a dump truck bumper so it weighed about the same as the Honda counter weight which was a big dollar item. Everything can be unbolted with no holes drilled. My bumper/counter weight set up is more useful with the class 3 receiver and the tow rings. I have a stone driveway. Snow blowing is a very COLD and tedious job unless you have a pocket full of shear pins. I put grade 2 bolts in place and notch them with the die grinder. Don't use the blower much any more since the Kubota has a loader. Dougco if you lived closer I could share my building experience. While sifting the ton of top soil my mind was thinking of a power sifter. I am researching ideas at the moment. I am already eyeball deep in projects and pecking away at the larger ones. My main project is the current m1009 in my barn. Sanding brushed CARC paint is a task not to be taken lightly when you want a smooth finished fresh flat paint job. Have a Great Day and Be Safe.
Looks like Honda and Kubota shared a few things

Attachments

cucvrus

Last night I did some rearranging in the center barn bay where Little Red was resting since 1995. I need to make room to set the rear fiberglass roof top inside. I want to keep it inside out of the weather so I have no moisture trapped when I go to assemble it. I had them rear glass gaskets run water out after being inside for a month. I used to be able to bend over inside there cab and lift the top on my back and step down off the wall with it. That's not happening anymore. I will have to wait for 2 more old guys or 2 young guys to stop by. Mean while the sanding of the CARC on the floor continues. It is so much fun I am ashamed that I can't share it with you. 2 more guys with a DA sander and it could be done in a few hours. I got this. Take Care. Be Safe.

Elektroman99

Nice to read that you are having fun again - I hope that was not irony - to continue with the M1009 step by step.

Hopefully you will soon regain your strength and your sense of smell and taste.

Oh :oops: ...
i was totally surprised when you changed your avatar. The right has every forum user, the old avatar has just fit well to you. From the people "written off" things to breathe life again. But you will have your reasons...

Be careful, become completely healthy again and... alone your texts let us all take notice! :)(y)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks