• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009/M1008 Coolant Reservoir/Tank

Radioshop

I'm a lurker here and I get lots of good information here, so I wanted to give back. My M1009 ended up with a cracked coolant reservoir. I did some research on the subject and learned the following facts from various non-Steel Soldiers sites.

The M1009 uses a similar reservoir as the 1983-94 Chevy vans.

I was able to get one from NAPA that only needed one hole drilled in the upper mounting tab. NAPA 6053401. The cost was $15. It fits just fine and retains the original design.

Last edited by a moderator:

ida34

Is this one different than the normal Blazer overflow tank? I would guess so based on this thread. I just got one from another SS member for my cucv. Thanks to Brian1.

scottladdy

I was able to get one from NAPA that only needed one hole drilled in the upper mounting tab. NAPA BK6053401. The cost was $15. It fits just fine and retains the original design.
No match for that part number on NAPA's online search engine, FYI.

UPDATE: Warthog found it by dropping the BK prefix. (see below) Now about $20 in my area.

Last edited:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was walking by a chevy van in the junkyard yesterday and saw one hanging out the hood by the rubber hose. Checked the number when I got home and sure enough it was the same.

donalloy1

I'm a lurker here and I get lots of good information here, so I wanted to give back. My M1009 ended up with a cracked coolant reservoir. I did some research on the subject and learned the following facts from various non-Steel Soldiers sites.

The M1009 uses a similar reservoir as the 1983-94 Chevy vans.

I was able to get one from NAPA that only needed one hole drilled in the upper mounting tab. NAPA BK6053401. The cost was $15. It fits just fine and retains the original design.
Good job Radioshop! Mine is held together with JB Weld and crossed fingers. Placing order with NAPA today.

Do you happen to know if Windshield Washer Bottle is same situation. Do not like getting LMC parts that are to spendy for low quality.

Thanks in advance, DMLII sends

my napa had it on the shelf, drove over and in ten minutes boom new coolant tank. Im putting on some new hose tonight as well and suggest while you guys are at it with the tank out you just knock it out in one shot one kill.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to know that the number does work and the bottle fits. Any modifications needed?

You will have to slightly modify this tank. VERY SLIGHT, where your current tank screws in to the top bracket, the hole is not lined up. So i drilled a hole and just put a massive zip tie through, as the slight curve of the tanks tab doesn't lay perfectly flat. I wasn't sure if this would be secure to my liking, but after yanking on it I can assure you its SOLID.

strelnik

No match for that part number on NAPA's online search engine, FYI.

UPDATE: Warthog found it by dropping the BK prefix. (see below) Now about $20 in my area.
I have a USAF G-30 Cube van (flight line work) The reservoir is cracked but it is a PRESSURIZED tank with a rad cap on it. Are yours like this?
That's what I need. Deadlined until then.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks