• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009, missing mechanical fuel pump

RedneckMilenko

Well I bought this M1009 about 7 months ago and have been working out a lot of rather large bugs but seem to have it running correctly now(for the most part at least). The guy I bought it from said he bought it with the mechanical fuel pump not working but instead of replacing it he put in a electric fuel pump (rather small might I add, only about as big around as a half-dollar) and I thik it may be having some ill effects. I know with the 3.08 gears she's not supposed to be fast in the first place but I wouldn't anticipate this low of HP even from a non-turbo diesel. When I lay into it I only get white smoke which tells me I'm ether burning oil or not getting as much fuel as it really wants to. When I let off the accelerator when I have a lot of momentum the engine takes a rather lengthy time to idle down unless I hit the breaks. This is my 1st diesel so I'm not exactly sure howw it's supposed to act and maybe due to previos issues I'm making a big deal out of nothing but I just wanted to be sure. Thank you for your time.

RedneckMilenko

Well I have an unfortunate update. I'm now leaking diesel from the rubber lines the previous owner installed. It only leaks when the key is in the "on" position and the truck isnt running. Once the engine is cranked there's no leak but being as the pump is running as soon as the glow plugs start to cycle and putting pressure on the line there's no where for the fuel to go. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Carpenter

Tighten the hose clamps.

Or are the lines the original lines and are they cracked? If so, replace the lines. Then tighten the hose clamps

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WHICH fuel hoses are leaking?

In what part of the engine bay? How is your fuel filter(square thing on the passenger side fire wall in the engine compartment)?

Lots of possible issues and most won't cost much to fix, as long as you are handy with your tools.

We would gladly offer advice but you are going to need to be a wee bit more specific.

And unless I'm mistaken, white smoke normally means some kind of water getting into the combustion chamber. BLACK smoke means you are burning oil in the combustion chamber.

keep us updated.

GPrez

Even if the lines are not leaking while the engine is running there is a good chance your sucking some air in which will mess with performance. Any rubber line that is leaking should be replaced. I would start there. Sounds like your electric pump is fine.

det rebel

wallew sorry but your wrong BLUE smoke is oil BLACK smoke is unburnt fuel
white smoke can be water or no air and anywhere you have fuel leaking you will have air being pulled in and that could cause all of your problems with low power

RedneckMilenko

Well the fuel is coming THROUGH the hose for some reason. It's coming through where the zip ties are securing it to the truck. Not being used as clamps. I'm not sure if it's leaking anywhere else but will definatly be replacing the water seperater and the lines. I'm thinking the guy before me who owned the truck used the wrong hose. I'd like to put a mechanical fuel pump back in it but I wouldn't even know where to begin to start looking for one or installing it. It would be possible to put a mechanical pump in ad Y the lines with valves so if I were to lose the mechanicl pump again I could switch back over to the electrical right?

RedneckMilenko

I guess I should apreciate your helpfulness but to be honest I'm not sure how to put pics up anywhere. I'm not very computer savvy, but I will try to get some photos up.

Carpenter

Well the fuel is coming THROUGH the hose for some reason. It's coming through where the zip ties are securing it to the truck. Not being used as clamps. I'm not sure if it's leaking anywhere else but will definatly be replacing the water seperater and the lines. I'm thinking the guy before me who owned the truck used the wrong hose. I'd like to put a mechanical fuel pump back in it but I wouldn't even know where to begin to start looking for one or installing it. It would be possible to put a mechanical pump in ad Y the lines with valves so if I were to lose the mechanicl pump again I could switch back over to the electrical right?
Why not install a new mechanical fuel pump and leave the electric pump but put it on a rocker switch.

The mechanical fuel pump is a pretty straight forward install, it's just a PITA due to it's location. When you do it, get the gasket for the plate below the pump as I had to pull the plate off mine to free up the pin to be able to push it back up inside the engine.

Also, ditch the zip ties and get some good quality clamps.

RedneckMilenko

That's what I think I'm going to do. Do you have a link on where I can get the mechanical pump for a good price? If not a part number would be great as well. Also, as far as priming the lines after getting the new pump in, how would I go about doing that? From what I hear it's rather expensive running rails dry in a diesel.

Carpenter

I don't have a link or part number. I just walked into my local advanced auto and told them I needed a mechanical fuel pump for my truck and they ordered one in.

With a mechanical fuel pump, it runs when the engine turns over, which means to bleed the air out you have to crank the truck. However, if you put your electric pump on a switch, you could just turn the switch on and crack the bleeder screw on the top of the fuel filter until a steady stream of fuel comes out.

Carpenter

Yeah, injector pumps are a whole different beast and they aren't cheap.

I had one guy behind the counter at an auto parts store tell me there's no such thing as a diesel injection pump rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks