• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 nc

OddballJ

Just here to introduce myself. I've been reading threads on SS for a year or so now doing research on the M1009's. It looks like I'm going to have my chance go own one starting this Saturday:D
I'll be a proud, first time diesel, first time M1009 owner. I'll need some help
And that's how I ended up as a member here
My Names Josh, I'm from Raleigh, go to school in the mountains, and I'm excited about my blazer!

OddballJ

Here she is.
Over all seems to be a very clean truck inside and out and I had lots of fun driving back to school. It doesn't go very fast (top speed up an 8% grade was about 25mph) but everything feels surprisingly smooth and solid for a truck that's 5 years older than I am, and it didn't have any trouble cruising along at 60 on the flat highway.
The only thing that concerns me is that there seems to be some oil in a few places on the undercarriage and I don't know where it came from.
I also found a bunch of service and trip records from it's days in the service.
well worth the $$ I paid for it IMHO.
advise, questions and comments are welcome :)

Attachments

Last edited:

ralbelt

Nice save, looks well worth what you paid, you did good.

And remember boys and girls, the first rule of owing a CUCV, "If its rubber replace it, if its electrical clean it".

OddballJ

Thanks Glen and ralbelt! Everyone's been laughing at for buying a cammo truck, so I needed someone to tell me I'm actually cool ;)
Thanksgiving break starts tomorrow, and over break I'll be changing all the fluids, cleaning all the electrical, and I guess changing out those old rubbers would be a good idea too 8)

ralbelt

Change out the fuel filter, read up on it so that you can bleed it out properly. I'm thinking that it might be partly clogged as you could only maintain 25mph on a 8% grade.

67_C-30

Welcome to the board!! Camo trucks are the shiite!:wink: My wife doesn't get it either. I have a newer Z71 that I never drive because I love my M1009 so much. You got a great deal on that truck.

Change out the fuel filter, read up on it so that you can bleed it out properly. I'm thinking that it might be partly clogged as you could only maintain 25mph on a 8% grade.

You may also want to clean the check valve on top of the injection pump. If they get clogged it with educe power greatly. You can do a search on the CUCV board for instructions of how to do it. Its only about a 5 minute job and really easy to do.

OddballJ

tried cleaning out the check valve. Seemed pretty clean, but I soaked it in carb/choke cleaner anyway. popped it back in but I haven't noticed any difference really.
I'll grab a new fuel filter at autozone tomorrow and see what that does for it, but I'm kinda skeptical...It doesn't seem to have trouble getting the fuel, just using it...Kinda like in manual car that's in too high of a gear.
I'll be sure to post any amazing results :)

Scarecrow1

Welcome to your first addiction in the green world . By the sound of it your well on your way . Oh by the way if they kid you about the camo then just look puzzled and ask ...You mean they made this in another color :jumpin:

mktopside

Banned
Welcome to the board!! Camo trucks are the shiite!:wink: My wife doesn't get it either. I have a newer Z71 that I never drive because I love my M1009 so much. You got a great deal on that truck.

You may also want to clean the check valve on top of the injection pump. If they get clogged it with educe power greatly. You can do a search on the CUCV board for instructions of how to do it. Its only about a 5 minute job and really easy to do.
Yea, my wife doesn't get it either. I've even tried the "You can't buy a truck with a diesel that is a tough as one of these for a reasonable price" angle.

It truly is a disease though, I laughed at you guys at first when I heard that, but nope........ it's true. I've had my M1009 for about 2 months, and this week I just sold my 2008 Subaru WRX, and took the equity from that and bought an M35A3 which I pick up on Monday. She thinks I've truly lost it now...... Even though I explained how the WRX cost me $600/month in payments and insurance. I finally told her to STFU and not to complain unless I sell her car.

The money, the noise, the size, the age....... none of it really matters to them in the end........ the camo is what baffles them. We all know they have issues with logic, but CARC must REALLY block a certain spectrum of female vision. :-D

Nice truck!

Mike

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks