• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 or regular blazer?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When they started making the 1988 trucks, they where still making the "squarebody" trucks for the 1-ton, suburban and full size blazer. They used the "V" designation for the 4x4 versions.

So the truck is not a true CUCV but could still be issued to the military for support services.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When they started making the 1988 trucks, they where still making the "squarebody" trucks for the 1-ton, suburban and full size blazer. They used the "V" designation for the 4x4 versions.

So the truck is not a true CUCV but could still be issued to the military for support services.

There were no C/K trucks in 1987. The squarebody trucks switched to R/V in 1987 through 1991. The new light truck platform took the C/K designation in 1988.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Ok I am so confused. I just got off the phone and the guy message me a pic of the engine bay and it has TWO BATTERIES. If it isn't a M1009 is it a military vehicle? He said no data plate on the inside of the door but the door panels have been replaced (I can see that from the one inside pic I posted earlier). So , all in all what are the chances of it really being a military vehicle, and is it worth 1100?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All GM diesels had 2 batteries. Are both batteries on the right side? The V settles the fact that it's not a CUCV. Dual batts were also an option on gassers.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok I am so confused. I just got off the phone and the guy message me a pic of the engine bay and it has TWO BATTERIES. If it isn't a M1009 is it a military vehicle? He said no data plate on the inside of the door but the door panels have been replaced (I can see that from the one inside pic I posted earlier). So , all in all what are the chances of it really being a military vehicle, and is it worth 1100?
Does it have 2 alternators?

Attachments

Anubis8472

It sure looks like a civy K-5 with some CUCV parts.

Drivers seat looks straight out of a CUCV, but the passenger's is civy.
Body panels are civy (could be replacements), no radio bracket holes etc.
No dash cut-out.

As mentioned it is possible it was purchased and used by uncle sam, but it doesn't look like a CUCV contract vehicle.

Have you checked the transmission?

If it's a running 6.2 with a working trans (likely a 700r4) it may be worth a good portion of that 1100 for parts at least.

(Of course, it all depends on how much of your wallet that represents)

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sure looks like a civy K-5 with some CUCV parts.

Drivers seat looks straight out of a CUCV, but the passenger's is civy.
Body panels are civy (could be replacements), no radio bracket holes etc.
No dash cut-out.

As mentioned it is possible it was purchased and used by uncle sam, but it doesn't look like a CUCV contract vehicle.

Have you checked the transmission?

If it's a running 6.2 with a working trans (likely a 700r4) it may be worth a good portion of that 1100 for parts at least.

(Of course, it all depends on how much of your wallet that represents)
Standard equipment in civilian 1987 K5 with the diesel engine was the 4 speed automatic/overdrive.
If it runs good offer him $600 and go from there for it as parts vehicle. Likely to have either 3.42 or 3.73 gears also.

Skinny

I think all Civy Blazers of that era with a 6.2 diesel should have a 700r4 not a th400. If someone ordered a half ton vehicle, I think it should of had a th350, not the th400.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
I learned lots of good info. He said that black thing by the shifter is a mount the military used for their radios. Also said that plug to the left of the glove compartment is factory. If I get him to 600 maybe it is worth it since it has most of the same base components. I noted the dash did not have a [D] just normal D (no overdrive I imagine). I checked my phone again and both batteries are on the right hand side and yes it has two alternators.

Varyag

It looks like the Forrest Service k5 a friend of mine has. It has just way too many civi parts to be military and someone already confirmed that the vin was civi.

It looks like a lot of work. My advice would be to walk away.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Offered him $400.00 and he said yes, sounds like I got good spare parts for an ok price. Will get it home tomorrow and dig in.

richingalveston

$400 you get the parts and your money back

For that price you can get all the parts, including engine tranny and axles and still get $400 at the scales. I just got $600 for the 87 burb I stripped to nothing, just the shell frame and rear axle without the doors or glass and I got $600 for it.
$16.00 per hundred pounds your junk yard guy just lost money.
Bad for him and good for you.

Good luck with it.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Thats a steal

Any reason not to fix it up and drive it as is?
I may, I really have my heart set on a real military vehicle. If I can sell/part it at a profit it helps the deuce fund. I guess I will decide once I really go through it tomorrow.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I speak for the lot of us here but I'd really like to see lots more pics of this truck. It's always intriguing to figure out just what was put together. $400 was a bargain and half again that price.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
I will certainly post pics. If it turns out to be a real green beast at its core I may well keep it. My main reason to get a CUCV is I own 0 diesel vehicles (just the mep generators), and a deuce is still a bit out of budget. My RAM 25000 is a great truck but mpg sucks and military diesels are excellent SHTF vehicles (and coooool).

If I keep it I need to find someone to sell me a CUCV grill, bumper and some other parts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks