• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 or regular blazer?

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
just call it civi and not worth the money :cookoo:

First off let me state I DO NOT own a CUCV. I would LIKE to own one but do not.

That being said. What makes the CUCV any more valuable than a civi diesel blazer. It is still essentially a 25 year old civilian truck with only a few mods for military use. Nothing tactical about it. I don't see why just being a CUCV makes it worth so much more.

Probably the reason I don't own one.

I agree something about that 24 volt sytem and OD green makes it worth more lol oh wait its green moneys green coincidence i think not hahah Im gonna say what i say all the time If u dont like turning wrenches or getting dirty or u have to ask your wife or gf to get one than a Cucv isnt for u hahah unless of course u happen to be dateing or married to a woman who lives and breathes the camo and od green life :grd: Owning a Cucv with out Steel Soldiers is about as pointless as a white Crayon rofl

PS a blazer salad lol thats funny i dont care who u are

wayne pick

Anyone check out Hemmings Motor News lately? 80s Chevy/GMC trucks are going for between 7 to10k in only shiny but "good" condition. some go for more, 90% of those are wimpy C10/K10 shortbeds and there is nothing unique about them, many are not original. 2% were K30s, and very few blazers. No diesels. Beautiful trucks mind you, but at least I can throw nearly 4000 pounds on my 1031 and grind up a dirt road with it. Guess it all depends on what flavor truck you want.

Danger Ranger

First off let me state I DO NOT own a CUCV. I would LIKE to own one but do not.

That being said. What makes the CUCV any more valuable than a civi diesel blazer. It is still essentially a 25 year old civilian truck with only a few mods for military use. Nothing tactical about it. I don't see why just being a CUCV makes it worth so much more.

Probably the reason I don't own one.
First, I want to thank you for your reply...once again I have found myself attempting to rephrase something.

Second, what I meant was lets call it civilian, period. Another statement would be it is not worth the money that he wanted, however, the $400 the op got it for is a great deal.

I wasn't trying to say mv vs civi, one may be worth more...you know...

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
I got to thinking and sure I would rather have a but if this is close it will do for now :) At a minimum it is a great donor if I find a M1009 with engine/trans/axle issues/missing. Truck is not home yet, having some life scheduling issues :)

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone check out Hemmings Motor News lately? 80s Chevy/GMC trucks are going for between 7 to10k in only shiny but "good" condition. some go for more, 90% of those are wimpy C10/K10 shortbeds and there is nothing unique about them, many are not original. 2% were K30s, and very few blazers. No diesels. Beautiful trucks mind you, but at least I can throw nearly 4000 pounds on my 1031 and grind up a dirt road with it. Guess it all depends on what flavor truck you want.
They might be asking those prices , but how many are actually seeling for those prices is unknown except to the buyer and seller.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Long story short, truck is paid for and it will be home on Tuesday. In the back are: rifle racks, spare antenna, some random radio gear, spare tire, what looks like a spare transfer case and some other random things. I see rust on one rocker pretty bad. I am no sheet metal guy by a long shot, is that bizarre glue/rivet technique worth it or should I just learn to weld?

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It depends on what you plan on doing with the truck. If you're still interested in a complete M1009 and plan on using your new truck as a parts donor, there's no sense in expending the time and energy in repairing the rockers. There are M1009's available with solid bodies. Taking the truck anywhere for body repair will cost you an arm, leg, and part of a foot.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
I was thinking of fixing it up a bit and using it until a M1009 falls in front of me at a good price :)

EDIT: And yes, I know those body shops are expensive. I am weighing welding it myself vs that weird glue solution. Hey if someone on Florida wants to show me how its done that will work too.

cotton

Long story short, truck is paid for and it will be home on Tuesday. In the back are: rifle racks, spare antenna, some random radio gear, spare tire, what looks like a spare transfer case and some other random things. I see rust on one rocker pretty bad. I am no sheet metal guy by a long shot, is that bizarre glue/rivet technique worth it or should I just learn to weld?
Great deal...I'm wondering if it IS a real m1009 and someone did a vin swap to get a title. So it does have dual alternators? Is there a data plate on the inside of the door?

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Yep, two alternators, two bateries but the bumpers are all civilian as are the fender decals and half of the interior. You may be correct on the VIN swap, as when I run it through any of the online vin decoders it says it fails the checksum. The rest matches up though (J diesel engine, etc). At a minimum I can get the custom plate FRNKNBLAZR.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, two alternators, two bateries but the bumpers are all civilian as are the fender decals and half of the interior. You may be correct on the VIN swap, as when I run it through any of the online vin decoders it says it fails the checksum. The rest matches up though (J diesel engine, etc). At a minimum I can get the custom plate FRNKNBLAZR.
Check the frame vin when you get it .

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Got her home 30 minutes ago. Says "US NAVY" on the sides, where is the frame VIN? Has oil and a full tank, charging the batteries now. Got rocker rust on both sides that will need addressing. Has a 12 volt to 24 volt inverter bolted to the floor up front.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Definitely not a "real cucv" since it has a 24 volt inverter and 12 volt system. Says US Navy and some other numbers on the sides and rear. Maybe a base security truck? Amazingly the rear seat and spare are in it. It even came with its own dog tag (see pics).

I tried to jump it with my ram and it just laughed. Then I found out one of the battery cables is completely corroded at the battery. Bed looks good, engine compartment looks good, frame looks good. The bad: Rockers, "a pillar behind passenger seat, and both sides under the front window (ouch). If you are in Florida and good with sheet metal PM me :)

The 24 volt inverter appears to work, lights up anyhow. Not that I have any 24volt radio gear. Oh and someone already replaced most of the floor with stainless.

Overall I am still happy, looks like someone put a new filter on it recently and the coolant even looks ok. Been sitting a good while, TONS of spider webs. Hey a full tank of diesel though, might drain some and make sure it isn't black.

So, Frankenblazer is home, if I can fix the sheet metal cheap enough I will keep it and have some fun.

Attachments

GPrez

Not a CUCV, but was used by the Military for sure. I saw one similar go up for bid on GL a couple years ago in Portsmouth, VA that was a Civi unit but owned by the military also. It had tinted glass, and AC. The civi units were probably used to usher around the Generals and Admirals perhaps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks