• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 passenger side alternator

wiccantoy

Does anyone have a pic of there alternator wired up? I replaced my passenger side one with a rebuilt one and the bolt for one of the wires was longer than the old one. Apparently it worked ok. Went in started it. Found a gen light was on. Went to the engine. And it was the wire that went to the junction on the fire wall on the drivers side and since it grounded out on a steel hose it fried the wire at what looked like a fusable link. Would have been bad for it to catch fire at the fire house. So I just need to see for sure that the wires were right. And at one time it had a black wire on the same post looking like a ground but wasn't hooked to anything. So now I need to replace the wire and the fuse. I so wanna freaken scream. :evil:

wiccantoy

Ok bi just hooked a new used red wire to the junction block. Just noticed there is a blue wire with fusible link coming from the engine harness. It is on the same post. The one im replacing was red with fusible link going to a white wire. All those go to the 24v battery. What gives?? Im afraid to start it and have it catch fire again. When I put the batters back on I got a spark and smoke from near the left alternator. Someone please offer help. The wire going to the block that goes to the engine harness had 2 blue wires going to the same post and someone cut one of them..

wiccantoy

Mistaken yes helps a lot. But do you know where I can find the Slave receptacle? I'm thinking I need to replace to 2 Relays that I'm guessing are under the dash. Just kinda confused about locations of those 3 things..:beer:

wiccantoy

Ok replaced the 2 relays in the area of where a radio would be. Now I started the truck and the glowplug relay was what had been flipping out when the voltage drops. Can't figure out why.. anyone have any ideas? Glow plug relay. The card. And plugs are all new.. alts both tested at a shop. Has new belts by gator back.:shock:

wiccantoy

Ok. When I first turn the truck the volt on the guage inside is low. I let it run for a few minutes and it goes into the green. Than if I turn on the headlamps, the blinkers, and say the wipers the volts go way way down and the gar starts to surge and make noise. The gar is new. So I have no idea what's going on. The connections are clean on gar and the battery's.

mistaken1

The gar starts to surge and make noise? The glow plug relay? The glow plug relay is energized at all times when the key is on (pink/black wire). The glow plug controller grounds the light blue wire to energize the relay. Is there a problem where that relay is energized at all times? What happens if you remove the glow plug feed from that relay an try you lights/wipers test? I am working a command center at the moment .....

mistaken1

I was looking at removing the large feed wire so that even if the relay is case grounded no power could get to the glow plugs. Do you have handheld volt meter? If so you can just measure on the glow plug side of the relay to if it is getting power to the glow plugs all of the time.

If you remove the light blue wire and the relay is energized you may feel/hear it drop out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks