• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 recovery

tdfontaine

First off, wanted to say this is my first post. I've been lurking on Steel Soldiers for several months to learn about CUCVs. Finally took the first step, put in a low-ball bid on a M1009 in Santa Fe and got it! Woo hoo, new owner of a CUCV! Just waiting for Battle Creek to approve my EUC and then going to recover my 1009.

My plan to recover is to tow bar it behind my 1987 V2500 GMC pickup. From what I've read, the 1009 tows well and my tow vehicle should have no problem towing the 1009. Anyone see any problems with this setup?

Also read that some folks have had major issues/crashes from bad tires on the recovered vehicle. So, plan to either get some new tires at a Walmart that's very close to the recovery site OR buy something used on craigslist that I can temporarily use. From the GL description and pics, the 1009 has at least on flat tire and no spare. Does anyone have a 1009 spare rim and tire they want to sell?

I'm planning to build a tow bar but was wondering if anyone in the area wants to rent me their tow bar that can connect to the 1009.

Thanks to everyone for contributing to this site, it's a great place for newbies to learn a new hobby!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wecome to the site! Your GMC PU will pull the 09 with no problem. The wheels are difficult to find, but not impossible. WalMart stocks a Uniroyal tire that is a match for stock. Good luck!

ragedracer

Wecome to the site! Your GMC PU will pull the 09 with no problem. The wheels are difficult to find, but not impossible. WalMart stocks a Uniroyal tire that is a match for stock. Good luck!

Aren't Goodyear Wranglers AT/Silent Armor's the standard tire?

Replace your tires.

It really sucks when this happens (had driven the 1009 less than 200 miles) thankfully no damage or injury.

Attachments

Ken_86gt

The tires may not be that bad. Any chance you can go and look at the truck before you buy tires? If you bring an air tank with you, you may be able to just fill that low tire up and at least take it to a tire store for a new tire if needed.

3dubs

Do not forget about the rear drive shaft. The front you can unlock the hubs. But the rear turns the gears. So you will need to disconect the u-joint and tie the drive shaft up so it does not drag.

3dubs

Aren't Goodyear Wranglers AT/Silent Armor's the standard tire?

Replace your tires.

It really sucks when this happens (had driven the 1009 less than 200 miles) thankfully no damage or injury.
You know when you lower the air pressure for off road traction there is a valve you can use:-D

Armada

Not to start a "how to tow a cucv" debate, but I have always towed them with the rear drive shaft in place, hundreds of miles, and have never had any issues. BUT, what you need to make sure of is that the driveshaft isn't bent, and most are bent from GL unless it was driven in. In that case you would want to remove it from the rear axle.
Don't forget: both gearboxes in nuetral, front hubs and steering unlocked.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
tdfontaine,
I'll add my welcome to the rest.

Plus if you want to join an MV club, we have one here in Colorado.

www.mvcconline.org is the website

The club will be in Cripple Creek over the weekend of Aug 7 - 9 and up at Jeffco airport the weekend of Aug 27 - 29. I won't get to CC due to conflict in my schedule but should be at Jeffco airport. We will be putting up a static display at both show weekends.

BUT the one at Jeffco should have us with two tanks (Sherman & Stuart), a German staff car and a German half track. Plus loads of reenactors will be there for mock battles (funny how Jerry always loses).

I own the M1009 and an M1028a2. Great trucks for sure.

Again, welcome to the green iron disease.

Last edited:

Pawnshop

If it's the M1009 in NM I am thinking of, no back window or batts and full of red dirt, you might want to bring a trailer. That one has sold at least once before and not picked up, it may have some serious troubles.

tdfontaine

Hey, thanks for all the replies!

I guess this is GL/unit site specific question but has anyone heard of GL not letting someone change a wheel on a CUCV?

Definitely going to tie up the drive shaft or completely remove, put transfer case into N, unlock the front hubs and unlock the steering or unbolt steering shaft from the gear box AND get new tires before going far.

Hey Pawnshop, here's a link to the 1009 I won, 2320 - Trucks & Truck Tractors, Wheeled at Government Liquidation. Does it look the same? Not trying to doubt what you know but trying not to freak out also. Do you know for sure that the previous winner didn't pick up the 1009 because they thought it had serious troubles? Does that happen very often? I could imagine that some folks get auction fever and bid on something without thinking how they'll use it, recover it, get divorced over it, etc. Let me know cause I did put in a low-ball bid and won without inspecting. If the 1009 is in ok condition the probably wasn't a bad idea.....but if it's POS then I'll definitely have to remind myself it was a roll of the dice and what's done is done.

Hey Wallew, I'll definitely check out the MVCC. Thanks for the pointer. BTW, do you know of anyone local who has a tow bar they would want to rent or loan?

Pawnshop

Definitely going to tie up the drive shaft or completely remove.

Hey Pawnshop, here's a link to the 1009 I won, 2320 - Trucks & Truck Tractors, Wheeled at Government Liquidation. Does it look the same? Not trying to doubt what you know but trying not to freak out also. Do you know for sure that the previous winner didn't pick up the 1009 because they thought it had serious troubles? Does that happen very often? I could imagine that some folks get auction fever and bid on something without thinking how they'll use it, recover it, get divorced over it, etc. Let me know cause I did put in a low-ball bid and won without inspecting. If the 1009 is in ok condition the probably wasn't a bad idea.....but if it's POS then I'll definitely have to remind myself it was a roll of the dice and what's done is done.

Don't forget that the tail shaft has to be in the tranny or the fluid will drain out, better to tie it up.

That is the one I was thinking of, I have no way to know why it was defaulted the first time around, as you pointed out it could be any number of things. When I first saw it I thought to myself that it would have to be really cheap and close to be worthwhile and was not surprised to see it come back up for sale. I am NOT one of those guys that think everything needs to be perfect (my standards are actually pretty low:)), but that one looked like a hand full (from my point of view 1000mi away), it has been sitting in that same spot for a long time.

I am NOT trying to say you made a mistake, all MVs deserve a chance at a second life, and if you love that one half as much as I love mine then it will find a good home with you! I'm just saying that if you CAN bring a trailer and a come-along you should.

Sam

Last edited:

41cl8m5

congates,
I was the high bider, and I've seen it up at GL 4 times. Damn another time I was out Bid, good luck recovering it. Hey Wallew that is a great looking M1028a2. I hope the nuts I gave you will help out. I'm working on a ram air setup only thing is lots of $$$ at this point thats why I did not go higher on the M1009. welcome to the MV life.

tdfontaine

Good point on the tail shaft. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for three reasons.

1. That the 1009 is in ok condition
2. Recovery goes well
3. My EUC doesn't get lost at Battle Creek :-D

I'll let you know how things go....

jimm1009

CUCV recovery

Now come-on 3dubs, he needed a Field Expediant "air down"! :-D :twisted:

As lone as they hold air and won't fly apart on the road, I would go with the ones installed.
Don't foreget some duct tape to wrap around the bearing caps on the reare end of the driveshaft or theyu WILL fall off.
If they won't lot you disconnect the driveshaft tow it off base to the local Walmart or similar big lot and do it there.
Chevy says you can tow it up to 50 miles max with the driveshaft in place.

Good luck!

Jimm1009 (Jim)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks