• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 recovery

tdfontaine

Well, I finally got EUC approved and towed the 1009 back to Colorado. Everything went fine with the recovery. I made a civy tow bar and it worked great. The only issue was the 1009 started to get a sway back and forth at about 60MPH so just took it easy and kept the speed at or below 55. Made for a longer trip but I made it home safe.

Now I get to wait for the SF97....

BTW, some of you noticed my rig that was up for auction 3 other times. I asked the GL rep about that and he said 1st guy never paid for it, 2nd guy's EUC wasn't approved and the 3rd guy never paid. So, the 1009 was sitting for at least 1-2 years. And, you get what you pay for.... the VIN plate is missing from the dash but I was able to get the VIN from the frame so hopefully the State of Colorado won't give me a difficult time getting the VIN verified.

tdfontaine

Thanks!

Hopefully, I don't have probs with VIN verification, SF97, Title, seized motor or a complete M1009 money pit........ Only time will tell with the last two :-D

tdfontaine

Thanks! No data plate on the door jamb. The glove box is the only place that had the full VIN. The frame has the last 6 digits of the VIN. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's good enough for the Vin Verification.

Hopefully, I don't have probs with VIN verification, SF97, Title, seized motor or a complete M1009 money pit........ Only time will tell with the last two :-D

Last edited:

Enginerd

M1009 Recovery from Nellis

Just brought home my M1009 from Nellis which I got for $1690.00. I live in Idaho so it was a 11 hour drive or so. I used my 1/2 ton Suburban to pull it.

I couldn't find a military tow bar so I bought one from Harbor Freight. After checking that all the bolts were at least grade 8 or better, and making sure they were all tight (which they were not) I made some custom adapters and, being an engineer and nerd, did a couple of calculations verify the tow bar would not break on me.

I used two pieces of 2X3 heavy wall tube steel and ground out the weld bulge on the inside. I will post pics as soon as I get them. No problems with the tow bar or adapters and they worked out perfect. The adapters are really easy to make and slide over the 1/5X2 D-ring mounts perfectly. If you need dimensions, let me know.

One safely back in Idaho, I realized the started relay was bad so I replace it and will do the Doghead upgrade soon. Changed the batteries, filled it up, and off it went. It runs great.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks