• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Shock Recommendations

jplace1011

GunnyM1009

@GunnyM1009 Ahhh, I see! Thank you. Is that the right part and part number? If so I’ll order 2, where did you purchase it at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got it from Amazon. That is the correct number and you will only need one. One kit does both sides as well as the attachment points on the frame. It's like 26 bucks if I recall. You will need a 1-1/8 shallow impact socket. The driver side bolt is pretty easy to get to. The passenger side I had to use a 4 way swivel and the shallow socket to get out. Gave my 1/2 inch impact a run for its money.

cucvrus

@cucvrus I am still learning about all of the undercarriage parts. I suspect you are correct. I’m fairly confident there are a handful of parts needing to be replaced. I’m going to take the M1009 back to 4 Wheel Parts and have them do an inspection. Or somewhere else that charges less. What exactly should be inspected?

Last year when I had the tires replaced they mentioned that the front two tires could be wiggled/moved slightly by hand. They said because the from bearings need replaced. Is that true? That might be one thing to have inspected.

Rick, can you please circle the part (in the pic) you are referring to?

I would also be concerned about ball joints. These never had grease fittings on the ball joints and 35 years later they are most likely rusty dry ball joints and that would give outer wheel wobble also. All 4 ball joints will be less than $150. Now getting them put in may cost 2-3 times as much as that for all 4. I do all this work myself. Most garages charge $75. - $125. hr and I don't see it. Most garages the guys working on the older vehicles were not even born when the vehicle was built. I feel like they should give me a labor break for the learning opportunity. I have been called to the local GM dealer in the past when a CUCV came in for work. Take Care. You can change these sway bar bushings yourself. getting the eye bushings out is the hardest part. A propane torch gets the job done and does not get hot enough to effect the metal. Have a Great Day. Make the weekend count for something progressive. Waste no time sweating the small stuff. Life travels at the speed of light. .

jplace1011

I would also be concerned about ball joints. These never had grease fittings on the ball joints and 35 years later they are most likely rusty dry ball joints and that would give outer wheel wobble also. All 4 ball joints will be less than $150. Now getting them put in may cost 2-3 times as much as that for all 4. I do all this work myself. Most garages charge $75. - $125. hr and I don't see it. Most garages the guys working on the older vehicles were not even born when the vehicle was built. I feel like they should give me a labor break for the learning opportunity. I have been called to the local GM dealer in the past when a CUCV came in for work. Take Care. You can change these sway bar bushings yourself. getting the eye bushings out is the hardest part. A propane torch gets the job done and does not get hot enough to effect the metal. Have a Great Day. Make the weekend count for something progressive. Waste no time sweating the small stuff. Life travels at the speed of light. .
@GunnyM1009 @cucvrus
Thank you for the info, it’s always great to learn more about this vehicle.

This is the bushing in your picture, it’s $23.82

Energy Suspension 3.5118G 1-1/4" Front Stabilizer Bushing for GM 4WD , Black https://a.co/1CVmONp

When I put the Blazer specs in this one came up:

Energy Suspension 3-5118G Front Sway Bar Bushings https://a.co/0pWZfV3

I wonder which one is right, does it matter? I did notice in the first one that people left reviews about installing it in their M1008’s.

GunnyM1009

@GunnyM1009 @cucvrus
Thank you for the info, it’s always great to learn more about this vehicle.

This is the bushing in your picture, it’s $23.82

Energy Suspension 3.5118G 1-1/4" Front Stabilizer Bushing for GM 4WD , Black https://a.co/1CVmONp

When I put the Blazer specs in this one came up:

Energy Suspension 3-5118G Front Sway Bar Bushings https://a.co/0pWZfV3

I wonder which one is right, does it matter? I did notice in the first one that people left reviews about installing it in their M1008’s.

Not sure why that other one is trying to price gouge. Dash or dot they are both the same thing. I purchased the first one that you have there for $23

jplace1011

Looks like they are the same thing, just advertised differently.
I’ll go ahead and order those cheaper priced Bushings.

@cucvrus says I may need to replace the Ball Joints as well. Is there anything else I might need to check and replace?

One note, what if my front tires can be moved/wiggled by hand? Could that be the Front Bearings need replaced or something else?

GunnyM1009

I’ll go ahead and order those cheaper priced Bushings.

@cucvrus says I may need to replace the Ball Joints as well. Is there anything else I might need to check and replace?

One note, what if my front tires can be moved/wiggled by hand? Could that be the Front Bearings need replaced or something else?

Should just be ball joints. I'm going to be replacing mine soon as well along with the tie rod, tie rod ends, tie rod adjusting sleeve, and drag link components. All of that is worn out on mine though. I'm pretty sure it's all factory original still.

jplace1011

Should just be ball joints. I'm going to be replacing mine soon as well along with the tie rod, tie rod ends, tie rod adjusting sleeve, and drag link components. All of that is worn out on mine though. I'm pretty sure it's all factory original still.
@GunnyM1009 I found this helpful video, it may be helpful for you as well.

GunnyM1009

@GunnyM1009 I found this helpful video, it may be helpful for you as well.

I'm pretty much replacing everything he mentioned. I also plan on doing u joints in the front axle as well as axle seals down the road. I'm putting most of my time and money into steering, braking, and handling. After all that I'll slap 100 bucks worth of Rapco 383 on it and call it good.

jplace1011

I'm pretty much replacing everything he mentioned. I also plan on doing u joints in the front axle as well as axle seals down the road. I'm putting most of my time and money into steering, braking, and handling. After all that I'll slap 100 bucks worth of Rapco 383 on it and call it good.
@GunnyM1009 @cucvrus
I went and looked around at the undercarriage near the shocks. I’m still learning so bear with me. I have a few questions, but I’ll go one question at a time.

I did notice this U shaped piece of metal behind the Front Drivers Side tire. What is that piece called? Also at the top of it appears to be Bushings? I may be wrong. Do they look like they need replaced? I’m thinking yes.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks