• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 starting problems

REDWOLF

After checking things out I belive my 6-7 year old mecanical lift pump is going bad. I can not find any fuel leaks in the system and I just replaced the filter bank in the summer. Glow plug system seams to be working fine with our without the block heater plugged in same crank time until motor fires.

REDWOLF

Ok. Still have not had time with working to check out anything on my blazer. Still having long crank times to get her started but wanted to post some more info on it. Drove her a hour down the road yesterday, shut her off for about hour half to two hours. Went to start her and cranked for a long time before she finally fired up. Glow plug light did not come on, witch I figured was normal because the motor was still warm from the hour drive.

cucvrus

My guess it is dropping fuel. Did you check for fuel. May be a bad Injection pump, leaking fuel line,return line of fuel filter base is leaking. I am leaning more towards internal injection pump /throttle shaft seals on the injection pump. More often then not changing the injection pump and getting it freshened up helps solve a lot of issues. Double check everything for leaks.

REDWOLF

M1009 temp sensor

Looking for a replacement temp sensor for the glow plugs on my M1009. I can find the new style with the replacement pig tail, but have not found the original style. Any help would be great.

cucvrus

Just use the new style. Is there a reason you don't want the new style? I have a couple old style used. No new ones like it. I know they worked but could not warrant them.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've posted the replacement part number for the old style many times. Can't remember if it is in the stickies or not.

MAZ537

This is the old style CoolantTempSensor

Part Number: ECH TS4032

$19.49

Part Number: MPE TS4032SB -- This is also available at ebay --

$13.99

Both seems out of stock at NAPA...

Found one here :
http://www.2040-parts.com/echlin-ignition-parts-ech-ts4032-coolant-temp-sensor-i1107277/

REDWOLF

Ok. A little update still have starting problems. Not fuel leaks in the engine compartment. My injection pump is about 7-8 years old. Brand new one not a rebuild. My lift pump is about 10-11 years old. The longer it sets between starts, days that is the harder it is to start. Also once I get it started and drive it 20 minutes or longer until she is nice and warmed up, then shut her off, I can start it right back up, but if I let her set for a hour and try she will just crank not fire. The next morning she will start but still not like she used to. The wait light seams to be working like it should with longer on when it's colder out side and shorter when it is warmer, and not at all when it has been run and up to operating temp.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

REDWOLF

M1009 Long wait light not firing up ?

Well this morning after strugling with longer than normal crank time before it would start,and purchasing a new lift pump to install Sunday. I get in it to go to work this morning after it setting for just one day, and i have a long wait light even tho it is 60 outside and all it does is crank will not fire. I cycled it a couple times with the same result long wait light and just cranking will not fire. At work now will start trouble shooting it when i get home if it is not raining to hard. Any thoughts would be great need her back up running by monday. THANKS

P.S. I installed new glo plugs in december becasue all but two were shot causing the truck not to start, shortly after that is when the longer crank time before she would start started. Have not found any fuel leaks in the system and the fillter is stock model and less than a year old sence i replaced it.

richingalveston

crack a fuel injector line at the injector to see if you are getting fuel that far.
check you plugs with OHM meter, just because they were replaced does not mean they are bad again especially if you still have the resistor in place.

It only takes fuel and heat and enough revolutions to start a 6.2

If you have an IR thermometer, check your plugs to see if they heat at all.

have you installed the new lift pump or doing it this sunday?

REDWOLF

Truck is all original electrical system have not changed anything. No was doing the pump sunday. It did do this long wait light thing one day last week but the second time i cycled it the wait light was normal but the starter seamed like it was barly able to turn the motor over,but it fired up and i drove it every day until i was off Friday and then it did this today.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the voltmeter while the glow plugs are cycling. You should see a large voltage drop while the glow plugs are heating.

REDWOLF

Check the voltmeter while the glow plugs are cycling. You should see a large voltage drop while the glow plugs are heating.
I would if my volt meter worked. It has not worked sence i bought the truck over ten years ago and replaced the gage once with a new one still did not work.