• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Still Won't Start

niferous

Ok as everyone knows I picked up this M1009 about a week ago and it didn't start when I got it. The belts were shredded and the glow plug card was missing. Well I replaced the belts and I just got a brand new in the sealed package glow plug card from Memphis Equipment and put it in this morning. Without the card the truck would crank but with the card now it won't! I get nothing when I turn the key the first time and usually on the second try the starter clicks. Also I was sitting in the cab and not turning the key and it sounded like the starter engaged for about a half a second. A very short clicking noise and then it stopped. I tested the Optima batteries and the front one is at 10 and the back one is at 11. The wait light did come on which was a change from without the glow plug card. Also both generator lights are on. I'm not sure if that's normal. Lastly the battery gauge was reading all the way down to the left. Most older trucks I've had do that when starting though so I didn't want to read too much into it.

Any help is appreciated and I will try to read through some old posts to find any similar symptoms. Hopefully it's another easy fix.

blzrgb

I'd charge the batteries first. Then on the starter relay under the dash jump from red to purple. If it's the relay it should crank. Anyone else got an idea what it could be ???

niferous

When the meter is on them red on + and black on - should they read 12?

Edit to add. I went ahead and pulled out the battery charger. Put the red on positive and the black on the negative and it says it's charging. We will see what happens. This is actually the first time I have had to use a battery charger but someone gave me one as a gift last Christmas. I did a Google search on the military serial number and it shows that the vehicle spent it's life in the Florida National Guard at Camp Blanding so hopefully starting fluid was never used.

Last edited:

lavarok

12+ across each and 24v+ when across both. However, amps are important here so charge them both up to be sure. If it was cranking before you installed the GP card, then it makes me think the first time the card energized the glow plugs; it drained the remaining juice in your batteries.

m38inmaine

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You probably have a 12volt charger so make sure you are on just one battery at a time while charging. The glow plug card has nothing to do with the starter. As mentioned before it sure sounds like the relay is bad. Charge each battery individually before trying to start it again and verify each battery is good.

Ken_86gt

Most cheaper battery chargers take quite a while to charge up marginal batteries, so don't expect it to be charged right away. I suggest that you put the charger on the battery closest to the firewal and use jumper cables on the front battery to your car. Just have the red or + wire go to the + terminal on the battery first, then the black to the - battery terminals. With the jumper cables on let the good car or truck run while connected for 15 minutes or so and the battery charger connected and plugged in to the back battery, then while this is all connected still try and start the truck and it should fire right up. Then remove the jumpers and charger - let the truck alternator charge its own batteries.

Crash_AF

Yes, both gen lights should be on with the key on but not running. If the volt meter is all the way to the left, then the batteries are low and probably not enough to start the truck.

I'll bet once the batteries are good and charged, it'll fire right up.

Later,
Joe

niferous

Lets hope so! These Optimas are taking a while but it's probably because they have over 1000 CCA. I'll take a video tonight and post it up should we get her running.

niferous

It's ALLLIIIVVVVVEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mostly..... :roll:

It does start and stays running. Sounds pretty good although it has somewhat of a knock. I can't find the cable for my camcorder otherwise you could here it. Honestly it's probably normal but I want to make sure before I drive it out and get stuck somewhere!

There are only a few problems that I can find so far. First off the 2nd (right) Generator light is on. Should it have 14 coming out the back of the alternator? If so and it is less than that I will just get it rebuilt. Also note that I let it run for a max of 10 mins and it was in my garage so I didn't apply any throttle as I didn't want to fill the place up with smoke.

The second problem I am having is that the lights don't work at all. No head lights, brake lights, blackouts, anything. I flipped the right toggle switch only to the up position and pulled out the light knob and got nothing. I then flipped it down and tried to see any black outs and didn't get any. Hopefully I am just doing something wrong. I wanted to check the fuse box but it was late and I honestly didn't feel like looking for it so I just called it good with gettin git running.

So by Friday I want to get the driveshafts u-joints changed and the driveshaft balanced. I will probably drop it off tomorrow to get that done. Also on Friday I have an appointment to get the glass replaced on the rear window and the front right vent window. If I can do that and get the lights working I should be able to get it inspected Saturday or Sunday.

niferous

Ok I got the lights working for the most part. The fuse looked good but I switched it out and it turns out it was bad. So now the lights do work although there are two small hickups. The turn signals on the right (passenger) side blink very slowly but do blink. Also the black out markers on the left (driver's) side don't come on. The ones on the passenger side do. Some idiot painted over the black out driving light but it does come on. I guess I'll break out the paint thinner and see if I can't get that cleaned off.

mistaken1

First off Congratulations!

As blzrgb pointed out you may need to rev the engine off idle to get the generators to start generating. Neither of my generator lights go off if I start without any throttle and let it idle. I need to goose it a bit to get the generators charging then I can let them charge the batteries at idle.

I second checking/replacing the turn signal lamps and checking the grounds for the lights.

Last edited:

Crash_AF

Congrats on getting it running. I second the idea of blipping the throttle to get it charging. You can also check to make sure all the wires on the alternator are good and tight and clean.

The knock is probably the cold advance changing the timing. It should go away once the truck is up to operating temp. Mine is pretty loud for the first few minutes in the morning but then it settles down and is happy.

Slow signals are usually a sign of additional load on the flasher, such as when a trailer is plugged in with a weak flasher. I would check the bulbs for corrosion and the wiring for any shorts. Fast signals are usually a sign of a bulb out.

Later,
Joe