• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Throttle Cable Problems (can't find right part)

broknindarkagain

Hi guys,

To start off with, I have a M1009. It is all original with the exception of being converted to 12 volts (didn't want to do that but couldn't find a 24v starter. Had to use civilian 12v starter).

===============================================
ABRIDGED VERSION : I need the proper throttle cable for my M1009. Read below for all the details. GM part number 14038644 crosses over to Pioneer CA8503 and does not fit properly
===============================================

Last week I was having an issue of my throttle sticking. I would push the throttle and it was stay engaged almost acting like cruise control (or if I pushed it harder it would just keep going faster and faster LOL). I looked over things and the only thing that seemed kind of funny was the throttle return spring felt weak to me. So I went to ACE and found a spring to put inside my original spring. It worked absolutely great for a week....felt as it should and throttle returned to idle quickly when I let go of the gas.

I'm afraid that may have been the beginning of the end though.

This morning my wife drove it to work....or at least tried to drive it to work. She got a few miles from the house and while merging onto the highway the throttle pedal just "went dead" as she put it. It would just fall to the floor.

Now my first though was that it had come off the injection pump because this has happened several times. The e-clip that holds the "eye" on the end of the cable to the pump is missing so I had a zip tie there to hold it on.

I got a lift from a friend to where my wife was. The cable on both the pedal and injection pump side was still attached...but the pedal did nothing. I wound up pulling the cable out (just the metal inside cable) into the cab. Broken cable. Looked clean and almost brand new on the inside, but it was frayed and broken close to the bracket above the injection pump. My friend wound up tow chaining me and the CUCV back to my house where I could safely work on it (I'm not wrenching on the side of a highway).

I originally called Autozone and asked for a throttle cable for an 84 diesel K5. The cable was too short.....WAY too short. I did some searching and found on this forum in another thread that the OEM part number is 14038644. I called Auto O'Reilly Auto Parts and had them cross the OEM number over and wound up coming up as a Pioneer CA8503. I removed the entire broken cable from my truck (plastic tube thingy that holds the metal cable) and took it with me to O'Reilly so I could compare the cables. Length seemed good but the "eye" on the injection pump side of the cable was MUCH smaller. I figured there use to be a plastic bushing in the original one that rotted away and that is why it was so big. The new cable didn't have a bushing.

I got back home with the new cable and started to install it. First thing I noticed was that where it clips into the firewall - the new cable was a bit too small on that clip so it wouldn't snap in. It just kind of sits there and bounces around that square hole. I figured "eh screw it. As long as the rest works that won't be a big deal". The cable attached to the throttle pedal is it should so I moved on to the injection pump side. The cable is about an inch too short! When it is hooked up to the injection pump my truck will idle at 3k RPM because the cable being to short to return to idle. Also, the "eye" on the end of the cable didn't quite fit all the way onto the injection pump anyways. It was a hair too small. It wouldn't go past the groove that the e-clip sits in.

I wound up having to use wire to loop around the injection pump and up through the eye on the cable to get the extra inch I needed. It is ghetto rigged but it works for now.

Anyways - I need a proper cable. One that will actually fit properly and I also need the e-clip so the cable doesn't fall off anymore. Does anyone have a source for the PROPER cable that is a direct fit on the M1009? I'm about to pull my hair out. I really need something that is local and I can pick up from the parts house....even if it special order. Part numbers or whatever would be a big help. Or if anyone knows a workaround. The cable I got, its compatibility listing has every vehicle that had the 6.2 in it.....so I'm not able to find any other cables that are listed for the 6.2....only one option.

Ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm at a dead end here and can't figure this out. I just need to be pointed in the right direction. Sorry for writing a novel lol. I'm frustrated and needed to vent. My two daily drivers cars are broke down needing major repairs, so my wife and I are stuck sharing the M1009. I need to fixed ASAP. Fixing a throttle cable is a little easier on the wallet than rebuilding a transmission in one car and buying all the timing components in the other car.

Thank you ahead of time for anyone that has any answers.

Last edited:

CUCVLOVER

Have you tried a napa, carquest, or motor parts??
They will usually have what you need, they can do more then just look at the computer.

Be careful with the afro engineering, I've had to do it but make it right as soon as you can. Which is what your trying to do. So do I need to shut up??

Hasdrubal

I was lucky that a member here had NOS cables for sale within the last year or so, search the threads you should find it. sorry, cant remember his name. Is it possible to take the cable to a bicycle shop and have them install a new wire with ends in the casing?

tourus

I had a cable break a while ago and same thing researched researched and found that the oem cable was the right length buy would not hook to both the pedle and IP pump found the little stopper on the calble was in the way so after weeks of research got a new cable and cut the little metal ball off and run a file in the smaller hole until it fit put the clip on and forgot about it been over a year no issue's .. yea yea road side engineering all that but had to get it back together .. even the dealer said all the correct numbers but still did not fit so cut the ball off..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks