• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 to use for parts?

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just found what seems to be an M1009 online that I'm interested in for parts to fix up my M1028. I can re-use the doors, mirrors, fenders, windshield, dash/door panels, tank (doing a Blazer swap has been on my mind for a while). I'll have a spare engine, transmission and transfer case (having at least a spare engine has been on my mind as well). Then sell anything I don't need.

What I find odd is the closed cab tho? Is this really not an M1009? It has a sliding window in the rear of the cab, was gonna buy one, they are expensive over here tho, so that's a plus! See 6th photo.

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG6.JPG7.JPG8.JPG9.JPG10.JPG

What do you experts think? I want to take a look this weekend. It'll save me a lot of money, but on the other hand, it might be worth restoring this one... :grin:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CARC in the engine compartment sorta says it was a M1009 at one time. Looks like a wrecking yard buy that was made drivable (I can't really use the word 'restored'). I can't tell from the picture but if there's a diagnostic plug under the dash that would also be a good indicator. EDIT to add: I think I see the bracket for the gun rack behind the driver's seat, so another indicator it was a M1009 once.

At one time you could buy an aftermarket back window and bulkhead for the Blazers; both the older blazers with the full removable tops and the later ones with the half-removable top. I've been looking for one for years, even saw a NOS one on craigslist once but it was only the window portion and not the bulkhead, and they wanted an outrageous amount of money for it. I've also seen a few home-brew ones using a small pickup truck rear window. They're useful if you want to remove the topper and have a very short-bed look.

Last edited:

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CARC in the engine compartment sorta says it was a M1009 at one time. Looks like a wrecking yard buy that was made drivable (I can't really use the word 'restored'). I can't tell from the picture but if there's a diagnostic plug under the dash that would also be a good indicator. EDIT to add: I think I see the bracket for the gun rack behind the driver's seat, so another indicator it was a M1009 once.

At one time you could buy an aftermarket back window and bulkhead for the Blazers; both the older blazers with the full removable tops and the later ones with the half-removable top. I've been looking for one for years, even saw a NOS one on craigslist once but it was only the window portion and not the bulkhead, and they wanted an outrageous amount of money for it. I've also seen a few home-brew ones using a small pickup truck rear window. They're useful if you want to remove the topper and have a very short-bed look.
The CARC paint does give away that it's a military vehicle, just never heard of bulkheads before, those are new to me. Not a lot of US cars around here, not to mention CUCVs... I'm guessing the bulkhead would allow for "standard" windows tho, meaning it would possibly fit my M1028? If I buy this truck we could make a deal for the bulkhead (without the sliding window, but my current), but I'm guessing you'd be better off paying the "outrageous" amount locally then paying for shipping. :p

I noticed this truck has yellow shackles and just the other day I've read on here that the U.S. navy painted their shackles yellow.

If I where to use this one for parts, I forgot to mention some, here's a complete list (for now):

- Doors
- Mirrors
- Fenders
- Windshield
- Sliding rear window
- Dash/door panels
- Fuel tank
- Quarter panels
- Rocker panels (these and the above instead of buying (Chinese) repair panels)
- Radiator
- Front leafs (temporarily... mine are sagged, and the money spent was originally saved for an ORD lift kit)

And for spares:

- Engine
- Transmission
- Transfer case

Do M1009s come with air conditioning? If so, that might be interesting, I would have to loose a generator tho?

Last edited:

DREDnot

Do M1009s come with air conditioning? If so, that might be interesting, I would have to loose a generator tho?
No, no A/C. Only the M1010 ambulance version had A/C for the rear box. That does mean there is a source for compressor bracketry, though.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AC would've been nice.

Anyway, I just got off the phone with the guy. He doesn't seem to know a lot about the truck's history tho. It's supposedly as good as rust free. The previous owner converted it to 12V, hence why one generator is gone. No biggie for me. Last "buyer" let it go because it wasn't original.

The previous owner probably also dropped in a different engine, had my suspicions given the red valve covers. Probably a civvy engine in there now? I did notice an intake manifold in the back, probably swapped the C-code for the old J-code and kept it as a spare?

Going to have a look next Sunday. Kinda feel like a kid before Christmas! :grin: lol

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a look today. Pretty good truck. Doors show some (minor) rust on the bottom, and the driver's side rocker panel is rotted through. Looks like the sliding rear window in the bulkhead seems the right size. Engine starts well (cold start), smokes a bit, but after warming up it doesn't. Less blow-by then mine. Engine has serpentine belt, might be interesting to swap this over?

Are the leaf springs interchangeable with the M1028? If I do buy this truck, it'll be with my lift kit savings... I at least need to get my front up for now, even if it's just a tiny bit.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are the leaf springs interchangeable with the M1028? If I do buy this truck, it'll be with my lift kit savings... I at least need to get my front up for now, even if it's just a tiny bit.
Putting 1/2-ton springs on a 1-ton rarely results in a lift. Even if they did physically bolt in.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A picture of the data plate in the left door jamb could help determineif it was Navy.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was just hoping I could keep off buying a lift kit, because buying this truck would blow my budget for that. Maybe combine leafs + U brackets as a cheap fix for a couple if months?

I'm still not 100% sure, but I think I'm calling the guy and doing a deposit tomorrow morning so I can pick it up later.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was just hoping I could keep off buying a lift kit, because buying this truck would blow my budget for that. Maybe combine leafs + U brackets as a cheap fix for a couple if months?
You mentioned earlier that you "need" a lift kit, at least for the front. May I ask why you "need" it?

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You mentioned earlier that you "need" a lift kit, at least for the front. May I ask why you "need" it?
I've my mind set on doing a lift, plus mine came with sagged fronts. It barely cleared the worn 37s it came with, let alone the new ones, having thread makes a big difference lol.

Edit: I wired over a deposit. Going to pick it up within the next 2 weeks.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks