• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010 A/C Compressor

m38inmaine

Did anyone find a source for these? The diode inside is fried causing pass through voltage energizing the compressor pulley all the time even with the a/c off. The actual relay itself looks fine.

Attachments

Last edited:

Keith_J

Yes, that diode is FRIED. It is a snubber, meant to prevent arcing when the relay breaks contact since this relay is driving a coil which can store energy, releasing it when the circuit breaks.

After looking over it, any 1 amp power diode will work although I would start at 100 volt so any between a 1N4002 to 1N4004 should work. Look up Allied Electronics if you don't have a local source. Talk to your local ham radio experts.

If it again blows, higher current diode in the 1N5401 to 1N5404 would work. These are 3 amp diodes, the 1N4xxx are 1 amp. There is a 50 microhenry choke supplying this relay so I'm pretty certain the 1 amp diodes will work.

Don't delete this picture since I believe the cathode band is still visible. This is IMPORTANT, install the diode wrong and it will burn out.

nun101

I'm attempting to repair my relay right now.

Mine isn't as fried and I can see the diode part number is 1N6421. Hope this helps someone. (actually a transient voltage suppressor)

EDIT: After talking with a tech at digi-key electronics, I was advised to use part# F5644CT-ND to replace this transient voltage suppressor that is no longer available. Will update once I install it.

Attachments

Last edited:

cucvrus

I may be able to help. I have a few that still have them panels under there. I will look in about an hour when I get out of traffic. I will take some pictures. No promises.

nun101

Yours probably have same issue I'm guessing. Should be simple repair though. Maybe you could refurbish them and sell on eBay? I will let you know if replacement part works.

cucvrus

DSCF2668.jpgDSCF2665.jpgDSCF2666.jpgDSCF2667.jpgThere you have it. I entered the compartment and removed the relay. I also found a nice assortment of starter relays. What do I need to look at to see if it is still good. Test procedure?

nun101

Should not have continuity between the outside pins. If no continuity, use diode setting on multimeter on same pins. Should be a affirmative in one direction, negative in other.

cucvrus

I am no electrician. I am in the house for the evening. The best thing I have is a Fluke multi meter. It is out in my garage. I know how to check voltage and ohm things. That's about it. I use a test light and a power probe when I work on my vehicles. I don't even know what a diode setting is. Should I disassemble this relay and look inside? Sorry. I make out fine with the knowledge I have. When it exceeds my know how. I get out my wallet or call a friend.

nun101

Start by testing for resistance between the pins. If close to zero you can stop. Diode test setting will have a triangle and a line with another line through it. On mine it's next to resistance (ohm) setting.

cucvrus

Looking I think you need to come load an entire M1010 body and use the interior to repair or replace the interior of yours. But I will look and get you what you need and price it. I have 4 M1010 bodies in my field. .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks