• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1010 Stalling/ Wont go over 5mph

m1010freedom

Just recently picked up a m1010 it has been running great until last night. I am going on a big camping trip this friday night so i am hoping i can get this fixed today after work.

I am 99% sure it is the mechanical lifter/fuel pump and I want to do the electrical upgrade. I know some people here are super against it for whatever reason. But I would like to do it. Just need to be pointed to a write up on it. I cant seem to find one anywhere and i researched all last night on here searching for one.

Any help or any other thoughts on what else this problem could be that would be great.

Thanks!

richingalveston

try your fuel filter first. if you have not changed it since you got the truck. the insides can deteriorate and cause very little fuel flow. It will act like the fuel pump Is out.
After that then do the fuel pump. If you want it fixed for the weekend, you may just want to replace the mechanical one if it is bad, it can be done in a couple of hours.

Rich

dependable

I agree, a clogged fuel filter will cause your symptoms. This may be you only problem.

To test lift pump, crack black plastic valve at top of fuel filter base. Usually there is short tube coming off that. Put tube (or add if needed) into jar and crank motor with valve at top of filter base open. It should fill a jar pretty quickly.

m1010freedom

Thanks guys. She has the screw on mod filter up on the passenger fire wall, which is pretty much brand new. Im under her now can't get the **** bolt off the rear side of the mechanical fuel pump. Been at it for about two hours.... Cant seem to get a ratchet on it

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope you bought a good one. (ACDelco, GM, Delphi).

The cheapie I used to get my M1008A1 initially going lasted a whole two weeks.
It was so much fun doing that job again.

My ACDelco has been flawless for 16 months now.

Good luck

m1010freedom

I got a facet posi-flow. Its the only thing they had that could hold in my hands today. i need to get this in tonight to be able to go on this trip this weekend. Im thinking about just leaving the mechanical in there for now and by passing it. Still trying to figure out where this electric pump goes in.

m1010freedom

buying a better Electric pump and replacing this one will be a breeze once everything is already there. So I'm not super worried about it only lasting a few months. Although i would hope it did

m1010freedom

so you just flip that switch and it starts pumping ? Not sure which line i should be putting the pump in ? I wanted to wire it to the ignition wire but not exactly sure how to find that haha

M1009CUCV03

Yup flip the switch and it pumps away,theres a hardline that youll have to feel for thats shaped like that,once you by pass the mechanical pump bypass the pumps hardline that goes under the intake,and go straight to your spin on filter

m1010freedom

Heyhey,i just put in a electric pump on mine http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MRG0/12D/N0515.oap?ck=Search_N0515_-1_-1&pt=N0515&ppt=C0128 my mechnaical pump split and dumped a puddle a diesel,i bent the hardline up and over and hooked the pump up,toggle switch to it and left the mechnaical pump on
in that second photo it looks like its pumping from the metal line towards that hand pump. Where are you attaching the line with the hand pump to? Sorry if its a stupid question. I can't get my head wrapped around this. And I just wanna go to bed lol

m1010freedom

No clue which one is the inlet and they both seem to be going in the same direction. Im going to try and contact the previous owner who installed it and see if he remember which is which unless you know of an easy way to figure it out

cucvrus

This is a perfect example of why I like unmolested vehicles. Now it is modified and the new owner don't know what the old owner did. I think keeping it simple and being able to use the books is the best way. I just had to say that. All these modifications are not good when it comes to problem resolution. Keep it simple and reliable and keep it stock.

A tip in the rear bolt of the fuel pump. It could be frozen into the aluminum housing of the pump. In that case you remove the front bolt and pry on the fuel pump and break it off so you can turn the back bolt out. Not sure if that is the case. But I had that more then once when replacing lift pumps. Good Luck. If all else fails just replace the mechanical lift pump and enjoy your weekend.

m1010freedom

This vehicle came with a binder with every wire that has been changed or cut. What each wire is. With notes and highlighted diagrams in the wireing and any engine modifications. Im sure the next owner will be fine since i plan on keeping things going with this binder. Im sure if i could get a wrench on the back bolt i could get it off. I just cant get my hands in there with a wrench.

richingalveston

you can remove the motor mount bolt and put a jack under that side of engine and pick it up some, if your fenders are not rusted out, removing the passenger tire and inner fender makes it real easy especially once jacked up a couple of inches.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks