• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2-A3 Brake Shoes & bearings

ncdeerejeep

I have a few of the a2/a3 trailers and have found a lot of auto parts stores and Agri Supply carry the bearings and seals for these trailers. I also know that Titan/Dico makes the Backing plates and some brake parts. Bendix also some parts.....BUT ......... does anyone know if the brake linings (shoes) 12"x2" for a domestic truck or car (Ford Chevy Dodge) will interchange. Just asking because I'm sure they would be cheaper than $40.00 + SH.

THANKS

coyotegray

I have a few of the a2/a3 trailers and have found a lot of auto parts stores and Agri Supply carry the bearings and seals for these trailers. I also know that Titan/Dico makes the Backing plates and some brake parts. Bendix also some parts.....BUT ......... does anyone know if the brake linings (shoes) 12"x2" for a domestic truck or car (Ford Chevy Dodge) will interchange. Just asking because I'm sure they would be cheaper than $40.00 + SH.

THANKS
You might be able to find a shoe that is close and swap the linings....

Do you know what the part numbers for the civi barrings and seals are..?
Im also trying to fins a civi shock replacement..

Thanks,
Andy.

ChrisABQ07

M116a3 brakes, bearings and fender questions

Newby 1st post:

I bought a M101a2 about 3 years ago for hauling firewood. I recently discovered my chassis is a M116a3 but has the CUCV rims and tires.

I would like to know if the bearings and brake shoes are interchangable with the ones off a M116a2 (NSN 2530-01-216-9259).

Does anyone know if the older M116a3 add-on fender extensions will fit my M101a2 box? I have looked around for a set but can't find any. I am considering making them if I can't locate a set. My tires stick out from the trailer body by about 5 inches and I am really throwing a lot of gravel when I pull it.

Thanks for your help.
Chris

Nonotagain

Newby 1st post:

I bought a M101a2 about 3 years ago for hauling firewood. I recently discovered my chassis is a M116a3 but has the CUCV rims and tires.

I would like to know if the bearings and brake shoes are interchangable with the ones off a M116a2 (NSN 2530-01-216-9259).

Does anyone know if the older M116a3 add-on fender extensions will fit my M101a2 box? I have looked around for a set but can't find any. I am considering making them if I can't locate a set. My tires stick out from the trailer body by about 5 inches and I am really throwing a lot of gravel when I pull it.

Thanks for your help.
Chris
The M116a3 is not an old trailer, it's the current version with the exception of the M1102 type designed to be pulled by the Humvee.

The fender extensions from the M116 will not fit the M101 trailer.

From your last description of the tires sticking out of the fender wells, it sounds like someone installed a 101 utility body on the M116a3 trailer frame.

I don't know if the brakes and bearings interchange between the a2 and a3 versions.

ChrisABQ07

Thanks for your information. I'll try to locate a technical manual with info for the 116a3. Once I get the fender extensions measured, formed and installed, I'll post some pictures in case someone else wants to do the same. It looks like it should be a fairly smooth project. famous last words...

Thanks again.
Chris

ncdeerejeep

I have a M101a2 and two M101a3's On the ones I have the bearing, seals brake drums and brakes are the same. I do not know about the M116 series but would think that all the 8 lug trailers were the same.

Here are the Bearing Numbers.

LARGE BEARING/RACE

Inner Bearing 25580
Inner Race 25520

SMALL BEARING/RACE

Outer Bearing 2585
Outer Race 2520

GREASE SEAL

10-36 (double Lip)

The bearing and race numbers are for Timken. They are more expensive. I used china bearings in mine.

Here is a good source for parts. http://www.etrailer.com/

Here are the Bearing and Races:

http://www.etrailer.com/p-25580.html

http://www.etrailer.com/p-25520.html

http://www.etrailer.com/p-2585.html

http://www.etrailer.com/p-2520.html

Seals:

http://www.etrailer.com/p-RG06-070.html

Brake assembly MINUS the parking brake Lever and Strut:

http://www.etrailer.com/p-23510.html Right side

http://www.etrailer.com/p-23510.html Left side

Brake Shoes:
http://www.etrailer.com/p-BP04-160/12-x-2-Hydraulic-Trailer-Brake-Shoe-and-Lining-One-Wheel.html

Now if I can find these at a Parts Store that are remanufactured they would be alot cheaper.

ChrisABQ07

Lots of good info in the last post. Many thanks!

There is a guy on EB*y (militarysurplusparts) selling 101a2 NOS brake shoes for $60 for all 4 with free shipping.

I guess I'll have to wait for warmer weather to break down a wheel and take a look inside.

Thanks for the leads and links.
Chris

acmunro

I have a good connection for trailer parts. I will send a set of brake shoes (M101a2) with my father to see if they can match them up with replacements. I think he is going Thursday. I would like to know myself.

ChrisABQ07

Sorry about the delay pulling a drum. I've been jumping through tiny hoops trying to get a clear title on my M116a2 for the last several weeks. Monday looks like its going to be warm, dry and workable. I'll pull a drum, compare the shoes and then post what I find.

ChrisABQ07

I pulled a drum off my M101A2/M116A3 today and looked at the brakes. I compared them with a set of NOS 101A2 shoes and they were the same.

Then, after a "duh" moment, I looked in the TM 9-2330-202-14&P. On page 1-14, section d -- "The M116A2E1 and the M116a3 are variants of the m116A2. Heavy-duty axles, four-inch frames, and spring assemblies allow for greater payload than the m116A2 (para 1-15). In addition, the M116a3 uses the HMMWV radial runflat wheel and tire assemblies." This tells me parts are interchangeable.

Then I re-read the post by ncdeerejeep on 12-07-2009. He did great reference work for this trailer line with civilian parts. I would like to thank him again for his help.

blybrook

I know that I have referred a few people to this thread concerning the shoes and other parts for rebuilding the M101 A2/A3 & M116 A2/A3 series brakes.

As a followup, I have recently ordered some of the parts listed above. Be aware that the new backing plates from e-trailer are dimpled for the parking brake cable, but not fully punched out. Partial disassembly is required to grind the dimple out with anything larger than a dremel tool. I found it easier to reuse the old backing plate than disassemble and grind. You have to disassemble the old plate partially anyway to get the parking brake parts off.

Just my 2cents

Pawnshop

Any professional brake and clutch supply house should be able to reline any brake shoe, assuming the backing plate is not damaged. That should cost a lot less than new parts.

jets1959

The bearings should be nice and shiny silver after they are cleaned. No rust, dents, pits, scratches, no gray blue red or yellow colors on any surface, (indicates over heating), or missing rollers. If the bearings or the races show anything but nice and shiny silver color it just isn't worth taking a chance they will hold together for another two years.

Craig C

I am in need of two things for the M101A3 I picked up over the weekend. 1. The landing gear crank. 2. P/N etc for the parking brake cable on the drivers side or some place that makes them and knows what they are.

Does that Etrailer place have them? Anyone know?

Good info on the parts listings, thanks.

Anyone know who built them in 96-97....this one has a delivery date of 3-97 but the manufacture is not readable.....

Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

ChrisABQ07

Craig -

I pulled this from the Technical Manual PDF. It looks like there are (2) cables that will fit the M101A3 / M116A3.
However, I just went out and measured the cables on my trailers and found the 74 inch cable is to better accomodate
the extra height of drop axle on the A3s. There had to be a simple reason...
Hope this helps.

SECTION II TM 9-2330-202-14&P (pages 279 & 280)
(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7)
ITEM SMR PART
NO CODE NSN CAGEC NUMBER DESCRIPTION AND USABLE ON CODES(UOC) QTY
GROUP 12 BRAKES
GROUP 1201 HANDBRAKES
FIG.6 CABLE AND CONDUIT ASSEMBLY
1 PAOZZ 2530011687906 19207 11686101 CABLE AND CONDUIT A 69 INCHES LONG. 1
UOC:CT1,SPR,TC1,258,263
1 PAOZZ 2530014298346 92867 15641501 CABLE AND CONDUIT A 74 INCHES LONG. 1
UOC:CT1,TC1
END OF FIGURE

Usable on Codes(UOC):
257 M101A1
263 M101A2
TC1 M101A3
646 M116A1
258 M116A2
SPR M116A2E1
CT1 M116A3

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks