• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 Dump trailer

billm

In May 2013 I bought a ('91) Pribbs early M101A3 body on a Kasel (11-90) 116A2E1 chassis that had recently returned from Basra, Iraq for a winning bid of $521.00 that was 2-1/2 hours away from home. The recovery went smoothly other then a brake fluid leak from one wheel cylinder that was rectified by locking out the surge brake coupler with a bolt for the rest of the trip home. I was glad I didn't need all the tools & items recommended in the recovery threads I had read on here but was glad to have with me. This is my conversion to tongue attachment modification to dump then to a hydraulic dump trailer that is still in process. Progress has been slow due to me working days & the wife evenings & half a day every other Saturday along with having a 3-1/2 year old. I had seen the concerns of using the original configuration to "dump" so I swapped the front spring mounts side to side & made up attachments that would put the hinge in the correct position. Dumping this way did work for the 20 plus loads I moved this way but it was not ideal, the bottom rear of the body was starting to bend from the load placed upon it while pushing the body vertical & I was losing material & load capacity due to not having the tailgate. Each load was about 1-1/2 to 2 yards. I also modified the lunette to be height adjustable. The brake hydraulics are currently removed & will be replaced during final assembly.trailer 034.jpgtrailer 033.jpgtrailer 032.jpgtrailer 031.jpgtrailer 028.jpgtrailer 029.jpg

billm

I plan on using it to move about 80+ yards of dirt around my property that was left over from my driveway installation along with scrap runs that need to be made. Besides I have been wanting to make a trailer for a long time & decided that while not completely ideal the 101 was a reasonable starting point for what I wanted when I was done. Most of the materials are scrap from a previous job fabricating & installing truck equipment, boy do I miss being able to dumpster dive for materials. I only purchased the adjustable lunette riser, the plates that box in the frame in front of the axle, The hydraulic cylinder its pins & pin bosses, the lower cylinder mounts because it was cheaper to let a shop cut them out as I was just about out of acetylene for the first time since the price skyrocketed.trailer 065.jpgtrailer 063.jpgtrailer 064.jpgtrailer 061.jpgtrailer 045.jpgtrailer 058.jpgtrailer 068.jpg

billm

I currently have the wheel wells cut out & am working on sectioning them back in to make the floor flat. The tailgate is finished including a coal door in the center but I do not have any pictures of it other then the upper & lower hinge points, I already wish I had made the 3 way gate that I originally planed but didn't want to take up even more time. I parked it to my neighbor to fill to get rid of some downed limbs & brush for them & I had to take the gate off by hand instead of being able to hinge to the side. Next is finishing the floor, front & side board pockets with tarp roller & removable/adjustable height ladder/material rack. I have all the brake parts except for getting the shoes relined & a push rod for one wheel cylinder that was missing :shock: this was the brake fluid leak on the way home. Installing removable rear LED lighting, tongue harness & hydraulic power pack. I also have a hoist set up that mounts into a receiver hitch that I might adapt part of into the rear corner, the tongue jack was fabricated with this in mind & it would also be a stabilizer leg for the hoist. I have a full set of '02 GMC alloy wheels & the spare tire mount for it also. trailer 056.jpgOnce everything has been function tested it will be disassemble, blasted primed & painted before reassembly. I am thinking of using a Rhino lining type coating on the undercarriage & possible matching the red on my truck for the body.trailer 084.jpgtrailer 082.jpgtrailer 079.jpgtrailer 080.jpgtrailer 078.jpgtrailer 085.jpg

wvu dodge

Nice work. Please update with pictures as you make progress. I did something similar making it a hydraulic dump with full subframe, but you are going even farther than me with tailgate mods and fender well trimming.

Though I did section 1.5 inches out of each fender to give me a full 48.5 inch. The military does not think in 4x8 increments like the civilian world. They buy what they need, and that's it

Good job

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks