• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 Dump trailer

billm

In May 2013 I bought a ('91) Pribbs early M101A3 body on a Kasel (11-90) 116A2E1 chassis that had recently returned from Basra, Iraq for a winning bid of $521.00 that was 2-1/2 hours away from home. The recovery went smoothly other then a brake fluid leak from one wheel cylinder that was rectified by locking out the surge brake coupler with a bolt for the rest of the trip home. I was glad I didn't need all the tools & items recommended in the recovery threads I had read on here but was glad to have with me. This is my conversion to tongue attachment modification to dump then to a hydraulic dump trailer that is still in process. Progress has been slow due to me working days & the wife evenings & half a day every other Saturday along with having a 3-1/2 year old. I had seen the concerns of using the original configuration to "dump" so I swapped the front spring mounts side to side & made up attachments that would put the hinge in the correct position. Dumping this way did work for the 20 plus loads I moved this way but it was not ideal, the bottom rear of the body was starting to bend from the load placed upon it while pushing the body vertical & I was losing material & load capacity due to not having the tailgate. Each load was about 1-1/2 to 2 yards. I also modified the lunette to be height adjustable. The brake hydraulics are currently removed & will be replaced during final assembly.trailer 034.jpgtrailer 033.jpgtrailer 032.jpgtrailer 031.jpgtrailer 028.jpgtrailer 029.jpg

billm

I plan on using it to move about 80+ yards of dirt around my property that was left over from my driveway installation along with scrap runs that need to be made. Besides I have been wanting to make a trailer for a long time & decided that while not completely ideal the 101 was a reasonable starting point for what I wanted when I was done. Most of the materials are scrap from a previous job fabricating & installing truck equipment, boy do I miss being able to dumpster dive for materials. I only purchased the adjustable lunette riser, the plates that box in the frame in front of the axle, The hydraulic cylinder its pins & pin bosses, the lower cylinder mounts because it was cheaper to let a shop cut them out as I was just about out of acetylene for the first time since the price skyrocketed.trailer 065.jpgtrailer 063.jpgtrailer 064.jpgtrailer 061.jpgtrailer 045.jpgtrailer 058.jpgtrailer 068.jpg

billm

I currently have the wheel wells cut out & am working on sectioning them back in to make the floor flat. The tailgate is finished including a coal door in the center but I do not have any pictures of it other then the upper & lower hinge points, I already wish I had made the 3 way gate that I originally planed but didn't want to take up even more time. I parked it to my neighbor to fill to get rid of some downed limbs & brush for them & I had to take the gate off by hand instead of being able to hinge to the side. Next is finishing the floor, front & side board pockets with tarp roller & removable/adjustable height ladder/material rack. I have all the brake parts except for getting the shoes relined & a push rod for one wheel cylinder that was missing :shock: this was the brake fluid leak on the way home. Installing removable rear LED lighting, tongue harness & hydraulic power pack. I also have a hoist set up that mounts into a receiver hitch that I might adapt part of into the rear corner, the tongue jack was fabricated with this in mind & it would also be a stabilizer leg for the hoist. I have a full set of '02 GMC alloy wheels & the spare tire mount for it also. trailer 056.jpgOnce everything has been function tested it will be disassemble, blasted primed & painted before reassembly. I am thinking of using a Rhino lining type coating on the undercarriage & possible matching the red on my truck for the body.trailer 084.jpgtrailer 082.jpgtrailer 079.jpgtrailer 080.jpgtrailer 078.jpgtrailer 085.jpg

wvu dodge

Nice work. Please update with pictures as you make progress. I did something similar making it a hydraulic dump with full subframe, but you are going even farther than me with tailgate mods and fender well trimming.

Though I did section 1.5 inches out of each fender to give me a full 48.5 inch. The military does not think in 4x8 increments like the civilian world. They buy what they need, and that's it

Good job