• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 Fixing Bent Lunette Mounting

SteveKuhn

The lunette on my trailer is bent to the passenger side. After taking it apart, I discovered that not only the front vertical bar to the brake actuator is bent, but also the top transverse pin (see highlights on attached TM drawing.) I have doubts whether any of the bent parts can be straightened out satisfactorily.
Even with the bent bar off, the lunette will snap back into that sideways position if you use a bar to angle it straight. I suspect all pins and at least that 1 bar will need to be replaced.

I've highlighted the TM drawing with the parts I've identified so far (bar = 3; pin = 5).

I'd like to repair with standard parts but I'm having trouble finding a source via the Internet for either these bent parts or the larger assembly. I'd appreciate hearing of likely sources.

I'm also considering having the bar (3) fabricated and replacing the pins (5) with same-size grade 8 bolts. Would appreciate comments on that idea or any others someone might have.

Thanks.

SK

Attachments

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
#3 shouldn't be hard to strighten. The pins might be harder. You will have more control trying to do the job with a press, rather then a hammer and anvil. The bushings on the end are important, if the threaded end is the bent part.

All those parts are availiable commercially. Try to Google it. Somebody should chime in with the Mfg. Its been on here, several times.

SteveKuhn

Thanks very much. The word "Toledo" was the key in getting the proper responses from Google and tjhose gave me 'Balcrank'. Below are links for the parts in question from one site, though there are other sources. I'm putting them in here in case somebody can use. Until I try them, I'm just hoping that they're all the right sizes. Those specs aren't in the descriptions.

The 1st number following the description seems to be the mfr part number because using it in a search brought up several sources. The 2nd number appears to be this site's stock number.

The most expensive items are the pins/pivot shaft at between $39 - $44 each. If I do need to replace 4 at that price, a new unit isn't a whole lot more expensive and there's a bunch of labor saving.

I'm still thinking of trying the Grade 8 bolt replacement theory. If anyone wants to comment on that I'd be grateful.

Parts follow:

Toledo Balcrank Actuator

Parts Page:
TrailerPartsStore.com - Wholesale Trailer Parts and More!

Pin/Shaft - Pivot Shaft for Actuator / Toledo / 1829 / 6699
Pivot Shaft for Actuator / Toledo / 1829 / 6699

Pivot Shaft Strap/Bar - Pivot Shaft Strap for Brake Actuator / Toledo / 1808-1 / 6701
Pivot Shaft Strap for Brake Actuator / Toledo / 1808-1 / 6701

Nylon Bushings - Replacement Nylon Pivot Bushing for Brake Actuator / Toledo / 1745 / 6695
Replacement Nylon Pivot Bushing for Brake Actuator / Toledo / 1745 / 6695

SteveKuhn

Closing this out: With some parts from MichiganDon (thanks) and some elbow grease, I got everything working, if still a few degrees off. Doesn't seem to affect straight towing or the brakes, so I'm declaring a win and moving on while leaving open the chance I might need to revisit this.

Thanks for the help.

Steve