• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 Master Cylinder Cap Vent

1956_4x4

The cap on my master cylinder has a threaded hole in the center of the top. There was a deteriorated piece of plastic in the hole when I picked the trailer up from GL.

What should have been in the hole to prevent water from getting in the reservoir? I know I have changed a lot of these master cylinders when I was in the military, but I just can't remember what was used to keep water out of the brake fluid.

Smitty

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some caps and a sheetmetal cover over them. I had a few that had a small steel line shaped as a J with a piece of rubber hose to extend it. I'm working on modding a cap so I can run my brake bleeder on the trailer!

KsM715

Nice find. I looked through their website but couldnt find what I was looking for. I plan to call them monday to see if this part can be sold separately.

This would make selling a trailer much easier.

Sorry Smitty hope you dont mind me hi-jacking your thread.

Attachments

86m1028

Some caps and a sheetmetal cover over them. I had a few that had a small steel line shaped as a J with a piece of rubber hose to extend it. I'm working on modding a cap so I can run my brake bleeder on the trailer!
I have had both also, & have also noticed they are different size vent holes.

lindyp38

any luck with the cap question...

can u just get match up another cap...or does it have to be vented......my other m101 doesnt have this vented type cap.....

thanks

1956_4x4

The cap in the master cylinder needs to be vented. Some have a hose and some have a small hole. The replacement master cylinder came with the cap with the small hole. I'm going to use it with a sheet metal cover over the entire unit. Because of the fluid being open to the outside air, mine will be a silicone brake fluid vehicle.

Smitty

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why can't you just drill and tap for a nipple and hose or some arangement of your own design, just to vent, no big deal.

goodguyzy

I just picked up another m101a2 with a rusted cap, wont a deuce cap fit it? Ive got a spare Im going to try out. My first one was just rebuilt by uncle same with that same huge hose.

rfischba1

My M101A2 also had a vent cap that was rusted out and allowed water to get into the brake fluid , its now a mess with debris in there. Whats the best way to clean a take out?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A complete re-fit of the hydrolic system. Take the master cylinder off and clean it with brake clean and rinse it with alcahol. Put a kit in it. Blow the brake lines out, re -do the brake cylinders. That is probably not what you wanted to hear, but you can't clean it any other way. Its probably rusted up now anyway, and not working!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks