• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 violent braking!

Nonotagain

Hey does anyone know how long the breakaway chain should be, mine was missing and id like to have one.
On my M116a3 the chain is a plastic coated cable and is around two feet long. It has a snap hook on the end so that the length is adjustable to you safety chain hook-up.

My M101a3 uses a piece of chain and again is around two feet long with a "S" hook in the end fastened to the safety chains.

Pawnshop

According to the man I spoke with this morning, Toledo Actuators does not sell direct to the public! He gave me the name and number of a dealer in Houston that should have the part, still on the hunt.

Pawnshop

I installed the shock in my trailer and MAN what a PITA! The trailer now stops smooth and straight, and I am happy, but I don't ever want to do that job again! It took me and Buckmaw to get everything back together, three hands and some cussing...

Ratch

Note!
If you have one of these trailers with a worn shock, and you disable the brakes and procrastinate replacing the shock, check all the bolts holding the actuator on the trailer, and lunette onto the actuator. I found the a-frame bolts under-torqued, and the lunette bolts very loose. If the violent/rapid oscillation loosens up the shackle studs keeping the lunette on the actuator, you could be testing the safety chains more than you'd like to, and stopping the mass with your tailgate or bumper.

I pulled a trailer out yesterday that I hadn't taken on the road yet, and the shock was badly worn out. Holy crap was that violent braking, it was like getting pounded with a 1000lb hammer unless I coasted to a stop. And this was one of the nicest (and most expensive) trailers I've bought yet... I have another one with a slightly worn shock that oscillates a little when braking with a full load or not at all when empty, but not like the other.

I stopped somewhere and dropped $1.50 on a grade-8 3/8 bolt and locknut, and drove around for another 4 hours of city/highway without issue. Braking wasn't even a big deal, so without load, I have no problem driving around with the brakes disabled.

If I never get the payload heavier than a couple hundred pounds, I'd probably never fix the shock. But I'm selling it, so I did knock $100 off the asking price, though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks