• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 6.0 LS LQ4, 4L80E, NP-205 swap

UNIMOG-GUY

After losing a rubber oil line while pushing snow in 2018 the 6.2 locked up. The truck sat for 5 years I was busy running my business until I closed it in 2022 and sold the business in 2024.

In an effort to raise funds…due to my new “toy” philosophy. I listed the other 2x M1008 I had for sale. Eric a local stopped by. He said he had a M1008 and was interested in the trucks but we couldn’t get together on the price. A couple of months go by and I after not seeing a lot of interest in the trucks. I reached back out to Eric and he and I agreed to a barter. I would give him the 2 trucks for him to install the IP off the blown engine and put it on the “good” engine out of the M1008 that needed a IP. That engine would then be put in my M1028.

Months later while I was looking for a junkyard 6.0 combo he suggested I just buy his 6.0, 4L80E and M1031 NP-205 (he gave me a great deal) and the previously bartered labor to swap it into my M1028. Eric swapped out the fuel injectors for 50lb units from a E85 equipped vehicle. He also put in a new cam and refreshed the engine with new gaskets, seals, rings, etc.

I’ll post more pics and info of the install with a parts list for those who are interested in making the swap.

Attachments

Last edited:

UNIMOG-GUY

To say that I’m happy with my choice to go with the 6.0 is an understatement.

I just drove from VA to CO 7-8-24 to 7-10-24 and the truck ran great! I was driving 70-75 most of the way. No way that happens with the 6.2!

First pic is driving thru Tropical Storm Beryl.

I’m running Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 235/85/R16

Attachments

Last edited:

socalsrt

I have an almost identical truck.... M1028 with a LQ4, 4L80E, & NP205. Really has turned into an awesome truck. I highly recommend the swap to anyone with the time and means. Much like yours, it will cruise at 75 mph all day long and is reliable enough to fire up and drive anywhere. What exhaust manifolds did you end up with? I went through a few pairs before finding something that kind of fit.... I run 33" tires with the small ORD shackle flip and will bump up to 35s when these wear out. Sweet looking rig!

UNIMOG-GUY

I have an almost identical truck.... M1028 with a LQ4, 4L80E, & NP205. Really has turned into an awesome truck. I highly recommend the swap to anyone with the time and means. Much like yours, it will cruise at 75 mph all day long and is reliable enough to fire up and drive anywhere. What exhaust manifolds did you end up with? I went through a few pairs before finding something that kind of fit.... I run 33" tires with the small ORD shackle flip and will bump up to 35s when these wear out. Sweet looking rig!
Speed Engineering
Inch and seven eighths tubes, three inch collectors