• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 6.0 LS LQ4, 4L80E, NP-205 swap

UNIMOG-GUY

After losing a rubber oil line while pushing snow in 2018 the 6.2 locked up. The truck sat for 5 years I was busy running my business until I closed it in 2022 and sold the business in 2024.

In an effort to raise funds…due to my new “toy” philosophy. I listed the other 2x M1008 I had for sale. Eric a local stopped by. He said he had a M1008 and was interested in the trucks but we couldn’t get together on the price. A couple of months go by and I after not seeing a lot of interest in the trucks. I reached back out to Eric and he and I agreed to a barter. I would give him the 2 trucks for him to install the IP off the blown engine and put it on the “good” engine out of the M1008 that needed a IP. That engine would then be put in my M1028.

Months later while I was looking for a junkyard 6.0 combo he suggested I just buy his 6.0, 4L80E and M1031 NP-205 (he gave me a great deal) and the previously bartered labor to swap it into my M1028. Eric swapped out the fuel injectors for 50lb units from a E85 equipped vehicle. He also put in a new cam and refreshed the engine with new gaskets, seals, rings, etc.

I’ll post more pics and info of the install with a parts list for those who are interested in making the swap.

Attachments

Last edited:

UNIMOG-GUY

To say that I’m happy with my choice to go with the 6.0 is an understatement.

I just drove from VA to CO 7-8-24 to 7-10-24 and the truck ran great! I was driving 70-75 most of the way. No way that happens with the 6.2!

First pic is driving thru Tropical Storm Beryl.

I’m running Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 235/85/R16

Attachments

Last edited: