• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 Sm465-NP205 swap,

davo727

Pulled the floor mat out and man it was nasty under it, cleaned it up and started working. Pulled the dash pad, inst cluster, steering column, pedals and mount.

The 4 speed pedal mount had spot welds broken so I tig welded it back together.

2 other small issues with it since it must have been a non hydroboost pedal mount- You have to cut off flush and drill out the two upper mount studs at the firewall end on the pedal mount itself. The cucv has studs on the firewall on the top position and it has holes on the lower for the pedal mount studs to go through.

Next the 4 speed brake pedal has the stud for the brake rod in the wrong hole, since these are pressed in the easiest thing to do is use the original brake pedal and cut the foot pedal piece to the same size as the 4 speed one.

I temp installed the bellhousing, z bar and its pivots and I have the rod that goes from the clutch pedal to the z bar.

davo727

My reason for swapping is to make the truck tow better, im thinking it will feel like getting a power boost by getting rid of the turbo400. This truck is going to pull my gooseneck trailer when I need it for construction supplys and stuff on my property out next to the national forest.

Will be nice to not worry about overheating and boiling the t400 and I want the bomb proof 4 speed.

davo727

I just couldnt bring myself to install a wimpy old cast aluminum bellhousing in this truck, I see it being a real weak link and definitely likely to fail So- --

Ups guy dropped this off today, ordered yesterday from Day Motorsports- they are a circle track parts shop in tyler tx.

Weighs almost 33 lbs, nice and stout. It is for a muncie chevy car trans 4.62 dia hole.

I will be using my mill to bore out the center hole to fit the 5.125 in diameter sm465 trans front register, also Im pretty sure that I have to move the fork pivot threaded insert over a little bit. Will be using my syncrowave 250 for that job.

This bell was $200 so plus shipping and tax was $230. Lakewood only makes one bellhousing that fits the sm465 and it is $470 before shipping from Summit. So I dont mind doing the mods to save about $250.

Attachments

bsalbrig

While you have the matting out of the cab you should go ahead and remove the mount on the trans hump and passenger floor.

Do make sure that your starter can turn the engine over with the flywheel prior to installing the transmission. My flywheel touched my starter and prevented it from cranking.

If you haven't drilled for your pedal link, there are three dimples in the floor for the link and its seal screws. Use a 2in hole saw in the center dimple for the pedal link.

bsalbrig

I cant think of any other problems I had with my swap. It went pretty straightforward, the frame even had holes for the z bar link and holes in the proper place for the cross member.

Do you have a front driveshaft? I got one with my transmission that I cant use cause I am lifted. You could have it for the cost of shipping.

bsalbrig

Yes I think mine is about 4-5 inches too long. I just got it running a the weekend before last. I had a custom made for my 400/208 hope it can make the increased angle. I am going to see if I can get it cut down.

What year is your setup from? mine was a 77 1ton so it had a fixed yoke rear. Your rear might match the factory since that slip extension is so long.

The worst mistake I made was with the flywheel starter interference, I had to take the trans back out of the truck to get it right. I knew I had a problem before I put it in but I figured I could make it turn over when I pull the truck...I was wrong.

If you can buy or borrow a transmission jack it will make your life a whole lot easier. It is unbelievable how much easier it is with a trans jack.

davo727

Anyone have a source for a new np205 transfer case shifter pivot bolt? Looks like a 9/16 in thread where it screws into the transfer case adapter- Its not just a straight bolt, its special like me :razz:

Discontinued by GM

allrevup

Anyone have a source for a new np205 transfer case shifter pivot bolt? Looks like a 9/16 in thread where it screws into the transfer case adapter- Its not just a straight bolt, its special like me :razz:

Discontinued by GM
Just replace and improve it, get a twin-sticks kit

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Google Dennys driveshafts. They carry alot of NP205 parts. I swapped my 1008 back in 1997. It is used only offroad and really makes a difference in low speed hauling in the woods. You won't regret the swap!

davo727

I will have to either reposition that rt rear upper shock mount or I might cut out that rear crossmember and move the tank rearward since I am extending the frame back about 8 inches and adding a new rear crossmember.

SPECIALTYLC

Discontinued by GM
They are not available from dealer now. I broke one last year. I just made my own shoulder bolt. 9/16 bolt, washer, tubing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks