• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 Sm465-NP205 swap,

davo727

My friend has a 1940 Kearney and Trecker #4 mill that weighs 12K lbs, and he milled out the bellhousing center hole to 5.125 to fit the SM465 transmission.

I will check the bell alignment and if needed I will use offset dowel pins on the engine.

Attachments

davo727

Cut out some of the 3/16 plates for the frame boxing today, here is one section test fitted.

Also ripped out all the fuel lines and brake lines out of the rt frame rail.

Im repositioning the brake proportioning valve from the spot from **** up to next to the master cylinder and replacing every brake hard line and flex line on the truck.

Attachments

davo727

Checked the bellhousing alignment today, it is out 4 1/2 thousanths which is half of the 9 thou i registered on the dial indicator.

You split the difference in half between the high and low opposite readings as the dial indicator is not exactly centered .

Normally accepted limit is .005 as maximum out of concentricity and mine is .0045 and im going to run with that. This is a low rpm diesel and should be fine. If it was a 7k rpm race motor you would probably want it a little better.

Had to cut a big chunk out to clear the starter.

Also had to clearance the upper inside slightly for the starter ring on the flywheel.

Still have to make a flat dust shield for the lower front of the bell and drill the bell for it.

So yeah it was a lot of work to use this bell, but it should be bomb proof.

Attachments