• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 vs M1008

allrevup

IMO to collect or restore, I would prefer the M1028A1, A3 or the rare M1031 ( pick-up conversion with the dually Dana70 rear axle and some with 200 amp alternator) their NP205 cast iron gear to gear and PTO capability, higher rear axle rating and the front slip locker. Otherwise a LOW miles and cheaper M1008 (modified) is the ticket. The NP208 T/C was of concern, but other then a small seal leak is has proven reliable and has taken "ALL" I have thrown at it. I think the longer "pick-up" wheel base drive shaft angle is easier on then. The front open differential was address with a Richmond "No-Slip" locker

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes the M1028A1 has the NP205 but GL doesnt list them as M1028A1. Just M1028. So you dont know until you go and take a looksey under the rig.
NSNs are different and almost always posted at the bottom of the sale page.

rustystud

I have the M1031 with the Dana 70 with duals in back. Also the front Dana 60 is the "Heavy Duty" model. It also came with a NP205 transfer case, and dual fuel tanks.

Last edited:

Bummy

Well I know when I'm beat:oops: lol that's awesome I'm thinking of putting in a 205 after the 208 gives up the ghost:shock: lol yeah now you need to stick a banks on that 6.2 to get the squirrels a run'n :)

rustystud

Well I know when I'm beat:oops: lol that's awesome I'm thinking of putting in a 205 after the 208 gives up the ghost:shock: lol yeah now you need to stick a banks on that 6.2 to get the squirrels a run'n :)
Actually I removed the original engine and repowered with a Chevy 383 Hi-Torque engine. Truth be told I never cared much for the 6.2 engine. It was a miss-mash thrown together to meet the governments demands for a diesel engine. I know there are a lot of people who love this engine and I have all the aftermarket manuals on beefing it up but it's like polishing a "turd" in my opinion. In the end it's still a turd.
In another M1008 I had I installed a Cadillac 472 engine in it. I ended up selling it to the neighbor kid when he turned 18 just to get him to stop bugging me to sell it to him. Last I heard he blew the engine racing it.

Bummy

I see how it is rusty. No love for the 6.2? Lol I'm a cummins guy myself but for the price of rebuilding one you could go and get slightly used crate 6.5 they sell on gov planet sometimes full mechanical let me remind you. Lol cucvs remind me of lawn mowers, when the motor blows up its cheaper to get a new one. Lol

rustystud

027.jpg026.jpg029.jpg This is my 383 Hi-Torque. It runs very nice and none of the problems of the 6.2 . You can see I kepted the battery tray and mounted a 12 volt air compressor on it and attached my fuel filter to the leg. I also retained the huge 4 core radiator.

rustystud

Is that yellow bottle the coolant over flow?
Thanks
Yep ! I installed a transmission oil filter in the place of the original over-fill container. I always planned to install a better over-fill unit just never got around to doing it. I kind of got bored with the M1031 and have since gone on to my M35 ! I totally gutted the cab and cleaned and painted and Herculinered everything. Fixed up the dash and installed a great stereo system. Then installed a new engine and rebuilt the TH400 and rebuilt the NP205. Installed new drivelines (front and rear). Checked out the front and rear differentials. Replaced all brakes and rebuilt the master cylinder and calipers and wheel cylinders and installed new brake lines (stainless steel) and installed DOT 5 silicone brake fluid. Replaced both fuel tanks with polyethylene ones. All total I spent over $12,000 on this truck and about 3 years time. So I'm a little burnt out on it right now. My wife and son keep after me to repaint it but I can't seem to muster any enthusiasm for it now. Eventually I will paint it the 4 color Woodland Camo it was originally, but that would mean I have to go back to the original flat black bumper and get rid of my new chrome bumper. I like my chrome bumper.:sad:

Last edited:

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks