• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028a3?

2deuce

The brace in the rear corners prevents the tie down loop from twisting. My truck had make-shift anchors in the corners. I had a Marine Corp M1028 that had make-shift bed rails, that I think were used instead of dunnage. I have seen pictures of shelters in CUCV's without dunnage, and the shelter resting on the bed. So there doesn't seem to be hard fast rules.

Did these Dana 70HD dually's have a posi unit in them? Without removing the cover, is there a way to tell? I had a Dana 70HD in a 79 ford 350 with a posi and it didn't work as far as I could tell. Once I parked it on an incline with one wheel in the wet grass and it couldn't move. I took it back to the dealer and they only tried to blow some smoke up there. Far as I know it never worked.
I have heard that front posi unit is often removed from the Dana 60 on a M1028. Was this common? If so why, and which branch of the service was more likely to do it? Thanks

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will say that I *suspect* there are not likely any factory versions, but I don't deal in certainties with these things anymore. Many people think that all M1028A1's were conversions, but I have a pic of a factory dataplate showing otherwise. I've not yet seen any factory pics of either an M1028A2 nor A3 dataplate.
Here's some more pics from the surplus dually conversion kit I bought years ago. It included everything for the conversion, including the side mirrors, which are specific to dually versions (convex on passenger, extended arm on drivers).

Attachments

Last edited:

2deuce

I'm going to have to test mine to see if both wheels will spin. I had both rear wheels up in the air a week or so ago. If I spun one the other side would go in the opposite direction. I thought that meant it was open. Is that inconclusive?

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to have to test mine to see if both wheels will spin. I had both rear wheels up in the air a week or so ago. If I spun one the other side would go in the opposite direction. I thought that meant it was open. Is that inconclusive?
No, unfortunately that is pretty conclusive that it is open.

2deuce

That is what I always thought. Probably the front is open too. I can't imagine having the front without the rear. Looks like I will be in the market for one, if not both. Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks