• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 down. Need a part.

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1031 down. Need More Help...

My 1031 is down. The cone on the back of the transmission, where the front of the driveshaft goes in, broke. See pic. Anyone know where I can find one? Been looking for months. I use this truck for work, well my guys do, and we need it up an running.

Many thanks in advance.IMG_3927.jpgIMG_3928.jpgIMG_3929.jpgIMG_3930.jpg

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you say transmission, do you really mean the transfer case?

Have you placed a wanted ad in the classifieds yet?

We have a few members not to far from you that regularly sell cucv parts.

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm, its whatever the driveshaft goes into. My guys took it apart, so I didn't have a chance to study it. I am going to put an ad in the classifieds. I had heard there were guys with CUCV parts close by, but haven't found them. Thanks for the response.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm, its whatever the driveshaft goes into. My guys took it apart, so I didn't have a chance to study it. I am going to put an ad in the classifieds. I had heard there were guys with CUCV parts close by, but haven't found them. Thanks for the response.
It would probably be a good idea to look the part number up in the parts TM and include that in the ad along with the transfer case model number ( my guess would be NP 205 because of the pto )

search Hillbillywizzard in the vendors forum for cucv parts.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most times, a Google search of the part number finds sources you would have never thought of.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a reason it failed. That needs to be addressed also.

Was it forklifted? Is the driveshaft bent?

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The driveshaft was bent really bad. So I had one built from an old one I had before recovery. Installed at GL lot and loaded on trailer. I'm hoping it was the result of being forklifted and not something to do with the driveshaft. The U joints were stiff when I retrieved the "new" driveshaft. I'll look for a part number. Thanks DH.

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the part from a member here. Thanks to them very much. Next problem. It would seem to me that with the rear driveshaft removed, and the transfer case in 4wdH, I should be able to move the truck correct? But I can't. It doesn't seem that the tail housing, in the photos above, seal around the slip joint. Or at least enough to hold in trans fluid. That being said, there was very little, if any, trans fluid on the stick. My thinking is that the tranny is out of fluid and that there is nothing in the TC. If no oil, then no go correct? Of course the next question would be "why" if the tail housing doesn't hold in the fluid. Thoughts?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a seal between the transmission and transfer case , if that fails it will fill the transfer case with the transmission fluid. The dipstick is to check the transmission fluid , there is a plug in the transfer case to check and fill the fluid there . You could have lost all fluid in both when that broke .
Did you just replace the cover or inspect the transfer case for further damage that caused the damage like bad bearings ect. . Did you follow replacement and torque procedures outlined in the TM ?

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't reassemble yet. I will inspect before I do. But shouldn't the truck be able to move if the transfer case is in 4wd? and if there isn't any fluid it in, it won't move? Am I correct in my thinking?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't reassemble yet. I will inspect before I do. But shouldn't the truck be able to move if the transfer case is in 4wd? and if there isn't any fluid it in, it won't move ?, i Am I correct in my thinking?

But shouldn't the truck be able to move if the transfer case is in 4wd
? Not with it disassembled
and if there isn't any fluid it in, it won't move ? the transmission needs to be full for the truck to move , the transfer case can be empty it will move a short distance but cause damage.

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got everything back together and the truck moves again. However, look at the picture below. It appears that the driveshaft is way to short. Perhaps that is the problem and why the tail housing cracked. Seems like it should go on a lot farther than that. This is a new shaft I had built, but they used a shaft from a 1008 that I had that was bent for the ends. Measurement would have come from that truck. Didn't think the 1008 and 1031 would have different shaft lengths.

Now onto the next problems. Still wrestling with the generator. Governor doesn't seem to be working. When revved up the generator puts out 120 volts in appropriate outlets. So it works, but the PTO light isn't on and the governor switch does nothing. We are trying to diagnose. I've attached pictures of what I think are the switches. Can someone tell me how to check these and if they are the right ones on the PTO and transmission? The PTO light was on for a second earlier, but now it never comes on whether the PTO is engaged or not. Any help, as always, is appreciated.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes! The TM lists UOCs and it even states in the driveshaft description what transfer it fits.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks