• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 pto dash light

sebaeb

Ever since i got my 1986 M1031 running the dash mounted Pto light stays lite when truck is running or just the key in the on position....i doubt this is normal...i have not yet tried to test the generator yet ....the truck wiring looks unmolested and in amazing condition ...i searched around with no luck..here are two pictures of what my Pto related switches look like

Attachments

sebaeb

When i pull the blue knob out the pto light goes out....ill check the the pto position switch....that is located on the T/C correct?

AndyC

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Light should come on when pto (blue knob) is pulled out , and light should go out when pto is pushed in. Sounds like pto position sensor/switch is out of adjustment.

dependable

Yes, the switch is on the PTO. You should get and study the wiring diagram on this. It is not that complicated, but there are several switches and a couple circuits you need to be aware of or you will go nuts. And you don't want to be back here asking for location and operating instructions for each switch, ect.

The reason I suggested working the knob a few times is that many of these have sat a lot. My PTO indicator light "fixed itself" after a few uses.

Last edited:

sebaeb

Just now getting around to figuring out how to run my generator on my m1031...i took some pictures of underneath the hood...according to some other pics i seen on SS...no one else has this cable hooked up the their governor...is this hooked up correctly ?...what is the cable used for? to hold governor in correct position?...my PTO indicator light is still constantly lite except when i pull the blue knob out...i think its either the sensitive switch or motional transducer that is malfuctioning...not sure how to determine which one is bad....does muncie still provide parts for these? located on TM9-4940-562-23P...11-1

thanks fellow SS for any help

Attachments

sebaeb

I did check the wiring going to the PTO unit...all looks fine even thou it is routed near the exhaust....the wire going to the sensitive switch , has a black cap that snaps on the top of switch...i can see bare wire where it meets the molded black cap but it is not broken or corroded...

Keith_J

The Bowden cable with the Tee handle is most definitely NOT stock. Yes, Muncie makes spare parts, that is not your problem.

You have multiple issues. I doubt the governor is working properly. For the governor to work, three switches must be engaged, they are the PTO engaged, transfer case neutral and transmission in gear switches. If any switch opens, the governor will drop out.

Pull the panel covering the governor electronics, this is the first door on the left side, behind the driver's door. Take a few pictures so we can see what you have there.

Keith_J

Looks complete and unmolested. You need to work on the switches I've mentioned, the wires coming out of the PTO are for the speed sensor the governor uses to maintain 60 Hz frequency of the output from the generator.

The PTO switch is on the PTO but has only one wire.

sebaeb

I found a manual on muncies website on how to do a continuity check....this will be my first step to determine if the pto indicator lite is functioning correctly

Keith_J

For the light to be on constantly, the PTO and transfer case neutral safety switch must be on.

Since all switches are double throw, it is possible someone has switched the wire to the NC (normally closed) where all should be on the normally open side.

lavarok

That cable with the chain should not be there. Looks like someone was trying to rig a manual control for the actuator. Where does that cable lead to? Is there some sort of throttle control cable in your cab or elsewhere?

Keith_J

That cable with the chain should not be there. Looks like someone was trying to rig a manual control for the actuator. Where does that cable lead to? Is there some sort of throttle control cable in your cab or elsewhere?
Yes, T-handle near the PTO control handle.

sebaeb

Yes if you look at my first post...it is located beside the blue knob bottom side of dash....i wonder if it was installed by the army to prevent someone from using the pto if they discovered the generator has having problems , but didnt take the truck out of service

lavarok

Looks to me like it was installed to manually control the actuator. Given your PTO light issues, the safety switches and wiring need to be checked to isolate the problem. Chances are they could not figure it out, so rigged the manual control so they could use the generator.

Skinny

Yikes, that gen head will make double the voltage and create a bad day if it were to speed up too fast. Get rid of all of that hackery.

I had to go through my entire M1031 generator setup because nothing worked or was adjusted right. Once it was all dialed in, the system works great. Go through and check every switch and adjustment possible like it has been stated already.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks