• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m105 Questions

waayfast

Sheesh, you folks have it MADE back East---I looked at a 101 trailer a while back-750.00 and not about to budge!! Not uncommon to see both 105 and 101 trailers go for 1500.00.

400.00 for a nice 105 would be a STEAL out here.:evil:

Jim

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Waayfast this is the trailer I recovered from McCoy this past summer. The bid price was $250.00. The trailer is a 2007 total rebuild and everything is new except the frame and axle. All other parts are new. This trailer had never been issued after the rebuild. If you look at the data plate you can see the clear plastic cover is still on the plate, the tail lights still had their plastic cover on them also. Nubs still on the new tires. You need to drive a little to the east and make a purchase.

Attachments

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have a brake system on her? and How does she pull, handle behind that dodge?
No brake system. I built me an adapter that changes the standard military plug to a civilian 6 pin for lights (I'm still running 24v bulbs). The Dodge has the Cummins and I don't even hardly know the trailer's back there. I only pull it loaded between farms on back roads. It does ok with no brakes as long as you take it easy and don't go too fast.

I honestly think it would pull fine and stop ok loaded out on the hwy but with today's drivers and the liability involved with no brakes, I really wouldn't want to.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm picking one up from GL in a couple of weeks. one question, how does the landing gear work? (i.e., can I lower it onto my trucks hitch?)

I bought some magnetic trailer lights, hitch, and will take my spare tire from my deuce w/ 1.5" socket and breaker bar. Also have a Hi-lift jack to cover my jacking needs.

I'm just curious if the trailer has the ability to lower itself, or if the landing gear is more of a either up or down with no gearing in between?

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:

aaron379

they have a a crank for up and down but it probably wont crank far enough down for a stock height hitch...... you should put the high lift on the trailer take the weight off rase the landing gear then use your jack to lower in on to your hitch make sure both wheels are chalked good

Bighurt

If the M105 is empty I just pick it up and set it in the Pintle. Aaron is right the lunette is to tall to use the landing gear to lower the trailer onto a pintle hook that's low.

In fact if I use my M915 and the tail end is lower than the nose and the back of the trailer is higher than it's nose, IE in a ditch. The landing gear won't lower enough.

Like I said I just pick it up if the trailer is empty. The trick is holding the lunette and folding the jack at the same time... haven't managed that yet.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
they have a a crank for up and down but it probably wont crank far enough down for a stock height hitch...... you should put the high lift on the trailer take the weight off raise the landing gear then use your jack to lower in on to your hitch make sure both wheels are chalked good

If we are talking about the M105 series trailers. Some of the older trailers did not have a crank just a fixed landing leg. Take a look at the landing leg on a M105 trailer, if it has two small wheels on it you can crank it. If it has one large wheel you cannot crank it cause it does not the the crank ability.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If we are talking about the M105 series trailers. Some of the older trailers did not have a crank just a fixed landing leg. Take a look at the landing leg on a M105 trailer, if it has two small wheels on it you can crank it. If it has one large wheel you cannot crank it cause it does not the the crank ability.
Regardless, a M105 is not meant to be towed behind a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck (just specifying this for those who don't know). It will not lower onto the hitch even if it has the newer landing leg. Also, alot of people won't be able to lift these tongues.

Varyag

I moved my 105 around with my F150 a couple times. I wouldn't bring it out on the road at any speed. I think it would carry the tail end of the pickup pretty easy. If you are just keeping it in your yard till you get a deuce I think it would be fine.

For 250 I would have it already but they are not common in these parts at all.

Also, you don't hook up the breaks on it unless you have quite a load. I hear they drag tires very easy empty. I have only hooked up the air lines once for mine and I had it full of gravel.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool, thanks for the info. I will grab my chalks when I pick it up from the base.

It's empty so I shouldn't have an issue, especially with the jack to hold it while I raise the landing gear.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Cool, thanks for the info. I will grab my chalks when I pick it up from the base.

It surely does not hurt to take a set of chalks with you. But the trailer has a hand brake on each wheel which should if working hold the tires while hooking it up. Remember to check and make sure the levers are in the up (vertical) position before you take off. The levers are in the down (horizontal) position when they are in the holding position for the tires.

I have used a HI-LIFT to raise the tongue a little so I could raise the landing leg, lock it in the up position, and then lower the tongue down on the hitch of a heavy duty 3/4 ton pickup pintle hitch. With both hand brakes set to the hold position of course.

Attachments

Last edited:

SteveKuhn

I'm new to the trailer and bought mine from an individual. I towed it home 2 wks ago about 30 mins w/ an E-350 and have pics. Howevah . . . the hitch setup and angle is almost identical to the pickup in the other thread so I won't post it unless someone wants to see mine.

We used his Hi-Lift to hook up and drop, had CHOCKS and blocks to shim the jack and/or chock, a can of PBBlaster and a 5' flat bar. The landing leg is too high for the light truck pintel when fully lowered and the jack just makes it much easier. We also had a light bar with the standard 12v lights bolted on that just lashed on and off. I liked that MUCH better than trusting magnetics.

The TM says tongue weight is 310. I can't move it safely and bought the jack and 2 strap attachment the next day. Makes it simple and safe.

The Blaster and bar were real handy for the landing gear release lever and raising and lowering it.

The trailer tows very nicely even on twisty crowned roads fully dressed and with just a Deuce spare onboard. BUT --- without brakes, the weight shift of the lunette on start or stop is a gentle reminder that getting stupid with it could end up ruining the afternoon. I'd tow it lightly/moderately loaded or empty any time but have no doubt that it is capable of taking the E-350 with it under the wrong circumstances.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the hand brake info, that may have been a bad start to my return if they were locked down.

I'm only bringing the empty trailer home to my Deuce, so shouldn't be an issue with weight. I have hauled much heaver trailers without breaks, but I am sure the tap of the lunette as I stop and go will be a good reminder to drive smoothly. :)

Thanks again,
Mike

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I once dropped a m105 tongue on the ground and lifted it up on the hitch by myself. I did it but my back didn't like it. Now I don't leave without the high-lift with me.

RealCavDog

I keep a spare in the trailer, and as well balanced as it is empty, all I need to do is shift the spare front or rear and can balance it pretty easy ! Only works if not loaded of course, but makes hooking up easy, then slide it forward for front tongue weight !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks