• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105a3 Sleeping Corridor

Lextreme

Got this M105A2 from DUG and reconstruction begun a week ago. The goa for this project is to enable a place for sleeping only. As we all have friends and they want to go camping but no place to sleep except tent. So I made this for them.

Goal:
* Sleep 4 inside the box
* Sleep 4 on top of the box.

It is nothing impressive about this setup. 2 set of bunk beds and one is able to flip up and fold away.

The top has a California King size bed and should be able to sleep 4 side way. More progress soon. The top pop up for the top sleeprs.

Here are some pictures for preview and by no mean it is done.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lextreme

Attachments

Last edited:

jeeplvr247

This might in fact be spot on. I believe adults put off about 200 BTU's each and that number goes even higher (250ish) if they have been drinking. I kid you not. :beer:
Although if people have been heavily drinking than you will want to keep the trailer even warmer. The reason a drunk person had a higher BTU output is because they have a higher level of heat loss. Alcohol directly inhibits a hormone which i necessary to constrict blood vessels. Your body uses this system to reduce blood flow to the limbs to keep your internal organ as warm as possible in a hypothermia situation.
Moral of the story: keep drunk campers warm or bad things will happen.

quickfarms

Insulation also keeps the heat out which is an issue in California. Styrofoam has the best R value per inch and does not absorb water. Another issue is how to cool it

jvandal

Excellent! I too want a M105 Camper but I don't have 8 friends that I want to sleep with... :D I'm thinking a pop up with sleeping area across the front and a fold/pull out kitchen in back... Weight distribution may change the arrangement... But first I have to buy the trailer...

Lextreme

Insulation also keeps the heat out which is an issue in California. Styrofoam has the best R value per inch and does not absorb water. Another issue is how to cool it
I do plan to install a 110V small AC unit from Home Depot. They are like $99 bucks. I already have a RV roof vent when I will mount on the side with a built in fan. 12V heater for winter camping.

Nonotagain

I've got one quick question.

Where's the M105A3 trailer?

I see an A2

The A3 is much wider between wheel wells and has a ladder built into the tailgate.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm planning on doing something very similar, but on a 105 size generator trailer, since the bed is already flat, has slightly more room between the wheel wells, and is 123 inches long on the outside, little bit more room, and mine will have only four bunk beds, A/C, skylights and a rear door. It will have 1.5 to 2 inch insulation in the walls and ceiling, and 1 inch on the floor. Actual BTU/hr for adults is 500 under normal circumstances. I wrote some programs for the Energy Info Center the company sponsored, and we had to calculate that sort of stuff.

Actual BTU/hr for adults is 500 under normal circumstances. I wrote some programs for the Energy Info Center the company sponsored, and we had to calculate that sort of stuff.
Yes, approximately 400-500 BTU's/hour under "normal" circumstances (normal here means awake but sedentary). Most people put out between 200-250 BTU's/hour while asleep, which is what I was referring to since I doubt the OP would have that many people in the camper unless they were sleeping. [thumbzup]

I didn't write any programs on this for anyone, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :D

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I would want to put some wider/heavier wheel-tire combo on it.
My 105 Hardtop is one that lifts to walk around height when parked, and drops to the same height as the cab when getting dragg'd about.
I've moved it around many times w/o putting it down and it feels top heavy. I've thought about dualing it, or 395's, . . . so far nothing easy.
I'm guessing yours is going to be even more weighty up top.

Lextreme

Thanks Low Tech. I have two gas shocks for the top pop up but still too heavy to open. So I got a 8 ton air jack (long Ram) and will be welding the brackets this weekend and it will be open by compressed air from the truck. So the opening and closing will be automatic using compressed air. Exterior is ready to be painted this weekend also...

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's cool. I've been thinking of doing the same thing to mine, only I would be lifting the whole upper section w/ 4 jacks on the corners. Should be easy lifting while it's hooked to the truck and nothing needed to let it down ;)