• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1061a1 restoration

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I finished painting the trailer. Got 2 coats of marine corps forest green (34052) on the trailer. Added new reflectors and stainless steel hardware. Painted glad hands. Removed tape from data plates. Shined the tires. Trailer looks as new as its going to get. Very pleased with the project. Turned out great.

Attachments

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I finished the emergency tank drain pull cable. Bought 3/32 steel cable and a swaging tool and finished up the trailer. Took it on its first voyage and picked up a large number of US army pallets. (These were not light.) Trailer did great. No wagging or pulling to either direction brakes worked well. No issues with drums heating up or hubs. Very pleased with the results. Will add some additional tie downs in near future as well. Overall it was a good, quick restoration and trailer is back to functioning properly.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Today I finished the emergency tank drain pull cable. Bought 3/32 steel cable and a swaging tool and finished up the trailer. Took it on its first voyage and picked up a large number of US army pallets. (These were not light.) Trailer did great. No wagging or pulling to either direction brakes worked well. No issues with drums heating up or hubs. Very pleased with the results. Will add some additional tie downs in near future as well. Overall it was a good, quick restoration and trailer is back to functioning properly.
Nice!

And having a way to easily drain the air tank is a big plus. If it is easy, there is no reason not to drain it. If you have to get dirty and crawl in on your back - it gets left for another day.

Good Plan @muthkw25 !

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool! I'd like to get one of these for a shelter to go on.
I have also thought of this plan. Originally looked at a s280 but I'm now really considering putting my s250 on it and using that for sleeping in and then the rest of the space as a deck for my girlfriends and mine m274a2 mule to strap down for camping and shows and then when the mules not on the deck I can use it as a deck to set chairs on etc.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I moved my dads ford compact diesel tractor on the m1061a1 back home. Drove great behind the truck. Truck did great at 50 mph. Trailer has had alot of use since finishing it.

Attachments

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
I have also thought of this plan. Originally looked at a s280 but I'm now really considering putting my s250 on it and using that for sleeping in and then the rest of the space as a deck for my girlfriends and mine m274a2 mule to strap down for camping and shows and then when the mules not on the deck I can use it as a deck to set chairs on etc.
An S-788 would be good for this idea. Then, if you have a tractor or something, you can make it removable. S-788 has much more room without much more of a footprint.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am looking at replacing the original tires with new ones. I don't like some of the stress cracks from age. Has anyone replaced their tires on their m1061a1? If so what company did you go with.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks