• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1070(HET) Tractors What are second lives/uses????

61sleepercab

I see what looks like acres of M1070(HET) tractors being surplussed and sold.
I have trouble figuring out a civilian use for the M1070.

What have you seen as uses for such a heavy built truck? Parting out for what build?? Seems that mileage would be figured in gallons per foot ???

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only secondary use posted on this board for these trucks so far is mud bog entertainment and parades.

goodguyzy

I use mine for parades, events, camping.....there was one thread where someone was hauling heavy loads to a terminal. With a low top speed they are not being used that much in the commercial trucking world.

byrdman1312

House moving?! I have a cousin in the house moving business. He also moves other heavy and wide things. I haven't talked to him about the possibilty, but looks to me like it would perfect. A little too big and fancy for a logging pull out truck.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
There is a proposed wind energy project in my county and I have had a couple of meetings with company officials (interviewing for a Public Relations job). Since the proposed site is up on a high ridge with few improved roads it is going to be a challenge to get the turbines up there. This problem is compounded by the resistance to the project of people who own property adjacent to the site who will not allow any more roads to be built on private property. The HETT would be the ideal vehicle to haul the heavy turbines, towers and rotor blades up to the site. If the project is approved (the politicians have gotten involved in it) the owner of the contractor that will be doing the construction and erection of the turbines has said he would be interested in leasing a HETT and driver to work for his company. I'll put out a call if this project goes forward. This would be an opportunity to make your big boy toy pay for itself.

A friend of mine that is a heavy hauler said they might have an application as pusher trucks. He pulls an 18' wide lowboy with a kenworth T800, and sometimes has as many as two more T800's pushing from behind.
When loaded he said they usually are under 50mph, so the lower top end speed wouldn't affect them that much. Also theres plenty of room for the counter weights over the drive axles. Plus you could buy a alot of M1070's for the cost of one of those new T800's

61sleepercab

My favorite ones so far were the dump truck and the locomotive hauler. Necessity is the mother of invention.
Locally a WWII half track was used to haul out timber to the landing. This half track has been fully restored and has hauled WWII Vets in the local parade.
One local timber man used a Army truck to haul out logs for so long he wore holes in the axle housing and lost the grease in the rear end.
In WWII LST ships were nicknamed LARGE SLOW TARGETS, wonder if HET means HUGH EVERLOVING TARGET.

Glad some of you boys are brave enough to adopt a HET. I adopted Sandy the sand colored M925 truck and a 5 ton is big enough a Tonka Toy for my sand box. Mark

mcmullag

was at Ranchers Supply in SE CO about 6 months ago, talking to owner John, said he had bought 11 of them so far at that time and sold 2. He sells a lot of military trucks to pipeline and utility companies doing power line work etc. he said a power line co was going to use the trucks winches to pull line.

M920

How did the m1070 do hauling that locomotive? Was that the heaviest thing you pulled with it?
Yes so far!
The loco weight was about 237'000 pounds, plus 14'000 pounds of 'skidpan' and track panels.

The most challenging part about this whole move was certainly the fact that the city of La Junta, CO wanted it to be displayed on top of a hill, so at the end we had to winch it up a steep, dirt incline to get it there!

Here are some You Tube videos of the move....:popcorn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbnue_IHYIU&feature=player_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOhKdyAElHs&feature=player_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ7BhT8msZU&feature=player_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN8ypjUZKa0&feature=player_detailpage

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Soni, why am I not surprised that you were recruited to move a locomotive. Frankly, I've not been too surprised about anything you've done since seeing the War Wagon back in the 80's. IIRC you had it at the Jamboree in Indy circa 84/87.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks