• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1070(HET) Tractors What are second lives/uses????

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone REALLY needs to read up on CFR 1926.953(d). I've seen some dangerous stuff on you tube before but this might take the cake.

NEIOWA

There was supposedly a company converting M911 into dumps for export to Africa. I'd be that was a "cheap truck when it breaks down abandon it" deal.

1.) Who is buying all the M1070/where are they goning? There have been hundreds surplused in the last year. I'd hope going into a surplus dealer yard so will be available to Sam when we again need them. You can't order/deliver 1000 HET in 6months the next time we need to haul tanks across Europe/etc.

2.) Is there a story (beyond DOD stupidity) why these are being sold. Obviously the current admin is shutting down the combat force and think we will never use tanks again (after all it's the 21st centrury). Or is DOD buying new/replacements for this trucks. Apparently DOD is not disposing of the trailers.

Seems strange that Israeli isn't getting the M1070 in FMS. But current Admin hates them so perhaps embargoed?

BradBMI

i hope they dont start destroying them. I saw 3 newly refurbished MK48's torn to shreds as per the "rules"

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are over here, but I do not know about US bases. I have video of a HET being DeMil'd after being driven to the DRMO yard and then to the point in the yard where they demil them. I don't even know if the engine was cold before they started into it...

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a proposed wind energy project in my county and I have had a couple of meetings with company officials (interviewing for a Public Relations job). Since the proposed site is up on a high ridge with few improved roads it is going to be a challenge to get the turbines up there. This problem is compounded by the resistance to the project of people who own property adjacent to the site who will not allow any more roads to be built on private property. The HETT would be the ideal vehicle to haul the heavy turbines, towers and rotor blades up to the site. If the project is approved (the politicians have gotten involved in it) the owner of the contractor that will be doing the construction and erection of the turbines has said he would be interested in leasing a HETT and driver to work for his company. I'll put out a call if this project goes forward. This would be an opportunity to make your big boy toy pay for itself.
By the time you pulled the wind mill up the ridge with this monster, your "ecological footprint" (amount of fuel used and exhaust fumes added) will be soo big that the first 5 years the mill is only turning to cover that ;)

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Soni , Had ALL the toys out of the toy box for that move ! Talk about DEAD weight , WOW , great Video's . I noticed that the wheels on the LOCO were not free wheeling , that sure added to the difficulty of the move . Great Job . bob k:goodjob:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
By the time you pulled the wind mill up the ridge with this monster, your "ecological footprint" (amount of fuel used and exhaust fumes added) will be soo big that the first 5 years the mill is only turning to cover that :wink:
My thought would be that the alternative would be to use a civy truck with a "pusher" truck behind it due to the rugged terrain. That would use a lot of carbon based fuel also. Any way you look at it there is always a trade off.

Nobody ever had to clean up a wind spill.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Soni , Had ALL the toys out of the toy box for that move ! Talk about DEAD weight , WOW , great Video's . I noticed that the wheels on the LOCO were not free wheeling , that sure added to the difficulty of the move . Great Job . bob k:goodjob:
I thought that as well. What is that little fork?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is one M1070 which just started its "second life"-duty in private hands... doing exactly what it was meant to do: pulling the HET trailer!
We finally unloaded our two M1000's early this morning, at 3:00AM, and I'm glad they let us do the whole job (since we really had such a "perfect tool" for it...!).

These HET units will be used mainly to help transport the components of a 700ton crawler crane and other heavy stuff, to-and-from the various construction sites for our future windparks.

G.

Attachments

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If you look at the pictures real close, you will see a extra counterweight attached to the mast rear stays for max lift, the gantry is pinned to the rear behind the counterweights, then when it is time to travel or swing with no load, the mast is run forward a bit which in turn LIFTS the extra counterweight, when operating with load, the extra counterweight would be free hanging due to the movement of the crane body taking the load (most likely attached to the rear of the crane with a set of stays). This is the same concept as American Crane's heavy lift setup, think it was called "Sky Horse"

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My thought would be that the alternative would be to use a civy truck with a "pusher" truck behind it due to the rugged terrain. That would use a lot of carbon based fuel also. Any way you look at it there is always a trade off.

Nobody ever had to clean up a wind spill.
They have shut 1 wind farm in the thumb region here down . There seems to be a issue with 60 foot blades snapping off from 200 feet in the air.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Amazing , notice the Blades came apart and did not even hit the ground before the tower imploded ! Wonder if Farmer Brown still gets his rent check ?